Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Labour win third term
JesusOnline Posted: Fri May 6 06:31:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My constituency voted as usual and the SNP stronghold on the NE corner of scotland held strong - despite my vote - but Labour did succesfully win their third term in british parliament.

I'm a labour supporter and am obviously pleased about the result, however I am also somewhat shocked. All in all it was perhaps obvious that Labour should win again but the Iraq war has put a large dent in their majority and personally I was preparing myself for a shock Howard lead conservative government.

Of the main global allies in Iraq -- Blair, U.S. President George W. Bush, Australian Prime Minister John Howard and Spain's Jose Maria Aznar -- only Aznar lost his country's top office in postwar elections.

SO for the british amongst you mainly but not exclusively obviously.

Are you pleased/upset with the election result?
Did the war change your voting stance towards the Liberal Democrats - or other party?
Did you decide upon not voting?

FN Posted: Fri May 6 07:21:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If war doesn't change your voting stance I don't know what would.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri May 6 07:49:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I loved it !
John Kerry's campaign team went to England to help Blair. One of the things they did was to tell the people that he absolutely did not lie about the WMD's in Iraq, the exact opposite of what they said about Bush.

Mesh Posted: Fri May 6 08:18:55 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>If war doesn't change your voting stance I don't know what would.

A bj?

FN Posted: Fri May 6 09:31:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Christophe said:
>>If war doesn't change your voting stance I don't know what would.
>
>A bj?

Not from Blair.

Paulo Posted: Fri May 6 09:48:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Are you pleased/upset with the election result?

I'm not bothered. I voted Labour purely on a tactical stance to stop the Welsh Nationlists from gaining and MP from my area.

Did the war change your voting stance towards the Liberal Democrats - or other party?

I would have voted liberal on the none-student fees thing. The war didn't really bother me.

Did you decide upon not voting?
I voted, only my stauncly Tory father voted, my mother and sisters were wholey dis-interested.

mat_j Posted: Fri May 6 09:49:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I voted Labour, my home town is a labour stronghold, the only time in it's history since the formation of the labour party that a non labour politician got in was for the Welsh Assembly elections when a Plaid member got in and everyone's regretting it now!

We have a good Labour MP, i'm not currently happy with a lot of what the party are doing but i'd rise up in arms to stop the Tories getting in yee gads.

A lot of my friends voted Lib Dem, i'm not keen, Lib Dem leadership would be like labour but without the co-operation of the trade unions and they'd have a lot of growing up to do before they could handle this country especially in it's current climate to make it successful.

The war is an important issue, but i think some jingoist foreign action should not take precedent over education, the economy and the NHS.

I was reading the paper the other day and there was an article about someone who'd died in the war's family who weren't going to vote for Labour which is fair enough. What people seem to be forgetting however, is Britain has a standing professional army of people who have chosen it as a career path. This isn't like Vietnam, there's been no draft, admittedly some people have few other options but i'm sure most people didn't join the army because of their debt and large family, there are other options for the poor. As i previously stressed this isn't America, we can't have blank cheque military spending, we can't afford to keep recruiting or we'll bust the budget. If i feel sorry for anyone it'll be the decent folk of Iraq who have had to live in the various hells created by sadistic dictators, mad presidents and blinkered prime minister evangelists.

Probably the best thing to come of this election trhough is Labour's reduced majority, when the Rhondda valley (my constituency) voted Plaid Cymru in the last Assembly elections labour was forced to sit up and listen.
Maybe just maybe this will happen on a larger scale now, gone are the days where Tony Blair could preach from a tank methinks and hopefully the road ahead is paved with something a little more substantial than good intentions.

Aeon Posted: Fri May 6 11:25:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I really don't care. I didn't care about the election here in the states. Fuck em.

JesusOnline Posted: Fri May 6 16:24:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>If war doesn't change your voting stance I don't know what would.

I was more than happy with Britain deciding to head into Iraq to disarm and dislodge Saddam, but thats a whole other discussion.

Mesh Posted: Fri May 6 17:16:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  JesusOnline said:
>Christophe said:
>>If war doesn't change your voting stance I don't know what would.
>
>I was more than happy with Britain deciding to head into Iraq to disarm and dislodge Saddam, but thats a whole other discussion.
>
>

Hif, you have a new British ally.

red Posted: Sun May 8 18:28:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I didn't vote. Was too confused.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]