Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Would you buy this book ?
ifihadahif Posted: Fri May 20 07:01:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=18123

beetlebum Posted: Fri May 20 07:27:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  No, probably not. I'm not a huge fan of Horowitz. I read Radical Son and I wasn't impressed-- neither by the story nor the writing itself. I appreciated his journey from liberal to conservative, but I couldn't relate to it.

Honestly, this story seems as though (at least from the summary) he's patting himself on the back. I've read Pascal and I got more from him than I think I would through Horowitz's personal interpretation. Also, his view of life at the end- how many times have I heard that before? I don't think that what he has to say is more accessible than actually reading Pascal, and I people would be more engaged by Pascal, or Faulkner, or anyone else that he leans upon for perspective. I get tired of rehashed inspiration-- there's so much of it flitting about these days. Horowitz, in his summary, didn't say anything particularly original, and I'm not so sure that I could relate to his story anyway, indicating that I wouldn't even appreciate his unoriginality. (However, my dad would probably LOVE it and then lecture me on it.)

On a more personal note (or perhaps a more personal criticism), Hif, have you read Radical Son? I don't know... I just got the feeling that he was a cocky son of a bitch attempting profundity sometimes. This summary seems the same way. But that could just be some deep insecurity of mine manifesting itself in the critique of a hard line conservative. ; ) Grin.

PS: Why does everyone associate a belief in God with meaning in life? *slams head into table* ARGH. That's such a naive assumption. And Pascal's wager? For pussies.
I'm done.

DanSRose Posted: Fri May 20 11:26:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ick. No. That was the one of the worst esays I've read in a while. It felt more like he just took his tape recorder and started talking. It didn't feel convincing, not in style nor in substance. He went into an explanation to his faith on the assumption that the faithful would be reading it, and while his horror of the "Love death" philosophy of extremists, it's not universal- it was directed only at Islamic extremists, opposed to religious extremists who force their god upon others, generally speaking.
I also find this highly disturbing, a mark of any extremist, anyone who lives their life solely upon their faith in God: "If there is no God to rescue us, we are nothing." Life is a gift, whether it was granted upon us or the result of a cascade of chemical reactions through time. _We_ rescue ourselves.

Also, on a stlye standpoint, as a writer reading another, it was painful to get through. Simple sentences. No respect to the intelligence of the reader. No visualization. Just stating his story. If you're proud of your story, tell it, scream it in all it's glory, like it's happening right now.
But then, that's just my take.

Posted: Fri May 20 13:06:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd consider reading a memoir of Horowitz's, but only because I find myself extremely interested in perspectives of the New Left in the 1960s-70s, which I understand he was a part of.

Mesh Posted: Fri May 20 13:10:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wouldnt buy the book, simply because I put all my money into saving and only buy things I really really want. I would, however, be willing to sit down and read it, were I to obtain a copy at no expense to myself.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]