Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Decide My Schedule!
Posted: Mon Jun 6 21:26:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey guys and gals. It's that time of year where I audit my degree and figure out what I should be taking come the fall semester at the University. This time, I've got myself narrowed down to 11 courses, none of which conflict with one another schedulewise or examwise. I feel entirely indifferent towards any given one of them, and they all contribute to my major or minors equally. So what am I to do?

I'm hoping you guys can shed some light. Tell me what you think sounds dull and uninteresting, tell me what sounds cool and interesting.

I'm more than aware that not much here is terribly practical, but then, that's the nature of the degree, right? As such, practicality is really not a concern of mine whatsoever.

Here are the basics:

Major:
Philosophy
Minor:
1. Political Science
2. Computer Science

Fall 2005 Course Candidates:

Computer Science:
-Database Programming on the Internet

Political Science:
-Western Religion & Politics
-Legal Process in Canada
-Government and Politics of the United States
-Canadian Foreign Policy

Philosophy:
-Mind Design and Android Epistemology
-Metaphysics
-Early Modern Philosophy: The Rationalists
-Hegel and German Idealism
-Existentialism
-Symbolic Logic

Computer Science:
-Database Programming on the Internet

-----

Course descriptions to follow.

Posted: Mon Jun 6 21:32:46 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hmm, okay, course descriptions not to follow. the University of Windsor's coursedesc site is out of commission, apparently.

Asswipe Posted: Tue Jun 7 03:26:46 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  take metaphysics so you can help me out in my metaphysics course.

libra Posted: Tue Jun 7 03:37:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mind Design and Android Epistemology

what does that mean?

beetlebum Posted: Tue Jun 7 06:57:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>Mind Design and Android Epistemology
>
>what does that mean?

Haphazard guess:
The course sounds like it examines consciousness... the mind is the most intelligent "machine" there is, so how does it work? How is it aware and self-aware? Can something be aware but not self-aware? Android Epistemology asks many of the same questions of Artificial Intelligence. To put it very simply (I'm am sure as hell no expert on the subject), AE deals with AI and how, if certain AI can respond to its environment, make "intelligent" decisions, and form beliefs, it is conscious, or how it knows what it does know. The film AI deals with some of these issues.

beetlebum Posted: Tue Jun 7 07:02:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Symbolic Logic is fun if you're good at it, and it'll improve your essays even if you don't realize it at the time. (Tighter arguments.) Plus, it really helped me to more quickly identify invalid arguments, regardless of the convoluted language used to make the argument.

The course involving android epistemology sounds interesting, so long as you don't have to deal with a long introduction to epistemology itself, as debating "whether or not the table is really there" or whether we can conclude "the table is really there" with certainty made me want to stab myself repeatedly in the eye ball.

Posted: Tue Jun 7 12:56:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>The course involving android epistemology sounds interesting, so long as you don't have to deal with a long introduction to epistemology itself, as debating "whether or not the table is really there" or whether we can conclude "the table is really there" with certainty made me want to stab myself repeatedly in the eye ball.

It's a fourth year course, and i've already taken extensive lectures on the philosophy of mind. So, I'm fairly certain we're going to be starting pretty deep into it. Symbolic logic is likely, too. My school is the birthplace of Informal Logic, and the two founding profs are retiring this year, so I had might as well get some more classes in with them while I can.

novemberrain Posted: Wed Jun 8 06:44:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Legal process in Canada.

ps - not dead *waves at addi*

addi Posted: Wed Jun 8 07:04:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  novemberrain said:

>ps - not dead *waves at addi*

Good. I was beginning to wonder if you went AWOL on us soldier.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Jun 8 09:28:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Philosophy:
>-Mind Design and Android Epistemology
>-Metaphysics
>-Early Modern Philosophy: The Rationalists
>-Hegel and German Idealism
>-Existentialism
>-Symbolic Logic

umm I love all of those. I found Hegel interesting and I would probably take that and extentialism. although if it were my choice I'd take all of the courses in philosophy I could. Which one or two would like to spend more time in?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Jun 8 09:29:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *you

damn typos and lack of proper sleep

Posted: Wed Jun 8 12:46:18 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  2d said:

>Which one or two would like to spend more time in?

Hegel's probably out, just because that course will involve the one work of his that I really hate (phenomenology of spirit), and frankly, I've had enough german idealogy for the time being.

Existentialism and Symbolic Logic are probably the courses that i'm most interested in. Rationalism should be good, too; I'm looking forward to studying Spinoza and Leibniz and such and such.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Jun 8 15:54:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Existentialism and Symbolic Logic are probably the courses that i'm most interested in. Rationalism should be good, too; I'm looking forward to studying Spinoza and Leibniz and such and such.

that sounds awesome. I'd love to get a masters in philosophy. and art therapy.

what are your plans with the knowledge you will gain from your courses? Do you oplan on becoming a philosophy professor?

FN Posted: Wed Jun 8 16:12:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I once considered philosophy.

The thing is that I don't want to learn about other people's opinion. I have my own. I wouldn't mind reading up on them, but I would mind having to reproduce them to earn my grades. Also, there isn't any money in it and it severly restricts your carreer possibilities.

I also think that it must be very annoying to have only a few people to talk to that are as much into it as you are once you get going.

novemberrain Posted: Wed Jun 8 17:24:32 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>novemberrain said:
>
>>ps - not dead *waves at addi*
>
>Good. I was beginning to wonder if you went AWOL on us soldier.

No, sir. The damn job has been holding me hostage.

Posted: Wed Jun 8 22:08:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  2d said:
>CriminalSaint said:
>>Existentialism and Symbolic Logic are probably the courses that i'm most interested in. Rationalism should be good, too; I'm looking forward to studying Spinoza and Leibniz and such and such.
>
>that sounds awesome. I'd love to get a masters in philosophy. and art therapy.
>
>what are your plans with the knowledge you will gain from your courses? Do you oplan on becoming a philosophy professor?

Law School, hopefully. McGill would be a nice school to get into. Philosophy majors score highest on average on the Law School Admissions Test.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Jun 9 08:51:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Law School, hopefully. McGill would be a nice school to get into. Philosophy majors score highest on average on the Law School Admissions Test.

*gasp* oh dear. not another lawyer. *rolls eyes*

I just figured you as a full time philosopher. ;p

Even though you're going to be a lawyer I still think you're cool.

addi Posted: Thu Jun 9 09:47:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  2d said:

>I just figured you as a full time philosopher. ;p

damn hard to make any kind of living, except as a professor...and those jobs are tough to come by. I know there are philosophy grads with their doctorates out there pushing brooms for a living.

*and it's good to see you back posting again, Cherry : )

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Jun 9 10:24:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>2d said:
>
>>I just figured you as a full time philosopher. ;p
>
>damn hard to make any kind of living, except as a professor...and those jobs are tough to come by. I know there are philosophy grads with their doctorates out there pushing brooms for a living.
>
>
>*and it's good to see you back posting again, Cherry : )
>
Just moon now, the cherry's been popped.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Jun 9 15:53:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>>*and it's good to see you back posting again, Cherry : )
>>
>Just moon now, the cherry's been popped.

thanx ifih libra knows I'm sure. and i still do not regret my choice I made. I wanted to fool around and I did.

that's why I changed my name temp. coz ass ifih elegently put it. i don't have the right for the word cherry anymore. but then again, i am a born again virgin. sooo maybe, i can still use the name.

yeah true philosophy will not make you fabulously rich but, if you love philosophy money shouldn't be a major concern.

FN Posted: Thu Jun 9 17:54:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Your naivity is laughable.

Posted: Sun Jun 12 21:33:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  2d said:
>yeah true philosophy will not make you fabulously rich but, if you love philosophy money shouldn't be a major concern.

Still
there's something magical that happens, then, when all the Princeton philosophy graduates end up as the bosses of all the MIT science graduates.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]