Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

This was pretty cool
ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jun 12 18:29:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  We've had some rain here the last couple of days and right in the middle of our back yard we have a depression about 8 to 10 feet in diameter full of water now.
During supper today I looked out there and there was this young red tail hawk just having the time of his life flopping around in that muddy water.
We watched him for about 10 or 15 minutes and then he flew away.
Every now and then we see what I presume to be his parents high up in the tree next door and once the male parent lighted on our fence to watch the comings and goings on our bird feeders.

Beep Posted: Sun Jun 12 18:41:10 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  heh, did you have no urge to join him? sounds like fun.

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jun 12 18:44:10 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:
>heh, did you have no urge to join him? sounds like fun.
>
Nah, we just watched in amazement.
It's pretty rare that you get that close to a raptor in the wild, especially here in the suburbs.

DanSRose Posted: Sun Jun 12 19:02:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am jealous. Very jealous. We have a red-tail hawk family that circles the campus (mmmm.... rabbits and squirrels), but I've never seen them up close.
So, the important question: Pictures?

Kira Posted: Sun Jun 12 23:44:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Aw, what a great story!

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 13 08:27:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>I am jealous. Very jealous. We have a red-tail hawk family that circles the campus (mmmm.... rabbits and squirrels), but I've never seen them up close.
>So, the important question: Pictures?
>
Alas, no pics - sorry

addi Posted: Mon Jun 13 08:56:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>It's pretty rare that you get that close to a raptor in the wild, especially here in the suburbs.

Too bad you didn't have your rider mower up and running while it was there...you could have tried to tease him

That is pretty cool, hif. There's a family of sharp-shinned hawks that lives part of the year at the lake in by back yard and there are beautiful to watch.

Ed Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:54:55 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Too bad you didn't have your rider mower up and running while it was there...you could have tried to tease him

HA

Ahriman Posted: Mon Jun 13 11:47:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was with my cousin behind my grandparents house plinking away at cans with a BB gun when a chicadee landed on our bird feeder. We sat and watched it eat for about 30 seconds. The thought struck us both at the same time and I took aim. My finger was inching to the trigger and the chicadee was just pecking away at the seeds. A puff of feathers and the chicadee was caught in the talons of a Peregrine Falcon. The Peregrine has been spotted a few times since then sitting in the oaks and maples.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 13 12:25:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>A puff of feathers and the chicadee was caught in the talons of a Peregrine Falcon.

I was really hoping you were going to say, "A puff of feathers and the chicadee was caught in the mouth of a snapping turtle", but it was still a good story

: )

Ed Posted: Mon Jun 13 12:37:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>the chicadee was caught in the mouth of a snapping turtle

*If only we could have prevented it...

addi Posted: Mon Jun 13 12:47:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ed said:

>*If only we could have prevented it...

My understanding is that the only thing we can prevent is forest fires and tooth decay...everything else is up to the gods.

FN Posted: Mon Jun 13 13:02:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>everything else is up to the gods.

I had nothing to do with it, I swear.

DanSRose Posted: Mon Jun 13 17:54:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So, I was walking back to my apartment, I think in April, and I passed by a small area, bricked off, with 2 trees. It's not very attractive, but it's a campus- forced nature in certain parts, trying to green-ify the brick color over the most area with the dorms and such. Anyway, I passed by this area and saw a squirrel. This squirrel was content, but struggling. In its tiny squirrel arms, it was trying, emphasis on trying, to eat a full sized strawberry pop tart. It was standing because its tiny squirrel were needed to support this endeavor.
It didn't even scurry away when I passed by. It would have had to leave the pop tart.
Funniest thing I've ever saw.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 13 18:15:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
Anyway, I passed by this area and saw a squirrel. This squirrel was content, but struggling. In its tiny squirrel arms, it was trying, emphasis on trying, to eat a full sized strawberry pop tart. It was standing because its tiny squirrel were needed to support this endeavor.

: ) I love squirrel stories

I was attacked by a squirrel once. He was very sneaky and calculated about it too. After that episode, I quit doubting the plausibility of Jimmy Carter's hare raising experience of being attacked by a crazed swimming bunny rabbit, while he was canoeing.

Nikki Posted: Tue Jun 14 08:58:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>DanSRose said:
>>I am jealous. Very jealous. We have a red-tail hawk family that circles the campus (mmmm.... rabbits and squirrels), but I've never seen them up close.
>>So, the important question: Pictures?
>>
>Alas, no pics - sorry
>
Your story is our picture. Thans for that ifihadhif. :-)

Nikki Posted: Tue Jun 14 09:00:23 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and did i neglect to say the REST of you, except for Christophe of course, are all STUPID FUCKS!!

Mesh Posted: Tue Jun 14 09:56:55 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Nikki said:
>and did i neglect to say the REST of you, except for Christophe of course, are all STUPID FUCKS!!

Well what about me you fuck?!?!?!

Nikki Posted: Thu Jun 16 11:03:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oh yes meshuggah...ewe 2 (kisses and hugs)

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]