Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Old souls
kurohyou Posted: Fri Jun 17 19:56:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This just popped into my head, haven't even formulated it completly yet.

Do you believe in people who have 'old souls?'

I have had people tell me I'm an old soul, but I'm a skeptic.

Any thoughts on 'old souls'

Posted: Fri Jun 17 19:57:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  souls probably don't exist in the way most people think of them. There's nothing physical, and probably nothing metaphysical.

FN Posted: Fri Jun 17 21:14:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't believe in that new age hippy crap.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Mesh Posted: Fri Jun 17 21:20:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Whats an "old soul".

Silentmind Posted: Sat Jun 18 00:08:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think its more of a personality trait than anything. Just having that wisdom beyond your years.

addi Posted: Sat Jun 18 09:27:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  : )
this thread makes me smile. You people are funny.

I'm a young soul in an old body. Go figure.

jennemmer Posted: Sat Jun 18 11:18:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I look around at some of the people my age and wonder how in the same amount of time on this planet some of them haven't managed to figure simple things out.

Does that count? ;)

Beep Posted: Sat Jun 18 18:26:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Silentmind said:
>having that wisdom beyond your years.

definately. i think people are just different, some people think things through in different ways, this leads them to different questions, so people will have different outlooks on life.
heh, i'd say i'm an old soul. hehe, i think i'll feel i fit in more wheni'm like 50. and when i'm 50 i'll think i fit in more when i'm like, 70 etc.

choke Posted: Sat Jun 18 22:24:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know if its necessarily to do with age.. I think when I'm 50 I'll still have the same aged 'soul' as I do now. My soul, or base element, will always just be my general, base outlook on life that I've always had. It's not a question of maturity or wisdom, just they way you perceive things.. Which is obviously going to change from person to person.

Kira Posted: Sun Jun 19 00:44:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've never been called an 'old soul'...

I have been called 'thirty.'

cookies&cream Posted: Sun Jun 19 16:47:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
> My soul, or base element, will always just be my general, base outlook on life that I've always had.

so is that basically what a soul is? or is it something deeper (or w/e)? i've been confused on the topic of souls for some time now.

FN Posted: Sun Jun 19 17:48:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What's there to be confused about.

The thing with "souls" and religion or "spirituality" *pukes* in general is that people somehow seem to have the urge to make things more complicated than they are, and are always looking for some magic mumbo jumbo.

I'll settle it once and for all:

there is no god
there is no soul
there is no good
there is no evil
there is no deeper meaning to life
the egg was first

So there.

Ed Posted: Sun Jun 19 18:40:18 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>the egg was first

Nuh uh! It was the single-celled organism!

cookies&cream Posted: Sun Jun 19 18:44:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ed said:
>Christophe said:
>>the egg was first
>
>Nuh uh! It was the single-celled organism!

Lmao! thanks, chris for the logic, thanks ed for the humor.

Ed Posted: Sun Jun 19 19:01:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  cookies said:
>Lmao! thanks, chris for the logic, thanks ed for the humor.

Hey, I was half-serious.

FN Posted: Sun Jun 19 19:55:32 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So when asked which was first: the chicken or the egg, you answer with a 3rd option, a single celled organism?

Are you drunk, sir?

Are you?

cookies&cream Posted: Sun Jun 19 20:04:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ed said:
>cookies said:
>>Lmao! thanks, chris for the logic, thanks ed for the humor.
>
>Hey, I was half-serious.

only half. :D

Ed Posted: Sun Jun 19 20:15:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>So when asked which was first: the chicken or the egg, you answer with a 3rd option, a single celled organism?
I would...if anyone would ever ask me that question.
>Are you drunk, sir?
No...
>Are you?
NO!

breeze Posted: Sun Jun 19 20:32:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i dun believe in "old souls", I think it has a lot to do with the circumstances of our upbringing, events happening in our lives, and all.

choke Posted: Sun Jun 19 20:33:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  cookies said:
>choke said:
>> My soul, or base element, will always just be my general, base outlook on life that I've always had.
>
>
>so is that basically what a soul is? or is it something deeper (or w/e)? i've been confused on the topic of souls for some time now.

That's what it is to me. You make your own idea of a 'soul'

Aeon Posted: Sun Jun 19 21:25:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>What's there to be confused about.
>
>The thing with "souls" and religion or "spirituality" *pukes* in general is that people somehow seem to have the urge to make things more complicated than they are, and are always looking for some magic mumbo jumbo.
>
>I'll settle it once and for all:
>
>there is no god
>there is no soul
>there is no good
>there is no evil
>there is no deeper meaning to life
>the egg was first
>
>
>So there.

I settle it for real:

Christophe doesn't know any of that for sure...

No one knows.

Ed Posted: Sun Jun 19 21:39:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Aeon said:
>I settle it for real:
>
>Christophe doesn't know any of that for sure...
>
>No one knows.

So, assuming that god exists, then not even it knows if it, itself, exists, eh?

DanSRose Posted: Sun Jun 19 22:33:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  By It's very nature, you can never know. It just may have changed the rules on you.

I believe. Everytime some around here brings up the soul or God question, always end up at the same place. It's the things I've seen, the people I've met, and the places I've been. I can't help but.

iggy Posted: Mon Jun 20 04:12:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  old soul means music from the 70's

i'm thinking of the temptations and the jackson 5, aretha franklin and the rest of the motown gang....

u guys are so wrong...

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 20 06:44:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chan said:
>old soul means music from the 70's
>
>i'm thinking of the temptations and the jackson 5, aretha franklin and the rest of the motown gang....
>
>u guys are so wrong...
>
Don't forget the Gap Band, the Spinners, the Chi-lites, Marvin Gaye, the Rev. Al Green, these and many many more.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 07:54:23 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  this thread is all over the place.
My only recourse is to eat a donut (a soul filled one)

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 20 09:52:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>this thread is all over the place.
>My only recourse is to eat a donut (a soul filled one)
>
Go ahead and have two, cuz donuts with souls always have holes.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 10:05:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Go ahead and have two, cuz donuts with souls always have holes.

Well this just begs many questions:

1. Are donut souls "old souls" or "new souls"?

2. Do non-hole donuts have a soul?

3. What effect does it have on my soul if I bite into a jelly filled donut and it turns out to be custard filled instead?

4. Is it bad luck to spill donut soul on your shirt?

Hmmm?

FN Posted: Mon Jun 20 10:12:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Aeon said:
>Christophe doesn't know any of that for sure...

What makes you think that.

Ed Posted: Mon Jun 20 10:39:43 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Aeon said:
>>Christophe doesn't know any of that for sure...
>
>What makes you think that.

But does HE know that for sure?...

cookies&cream Posted: Mon Jun 20 11:33:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>>
>That's what it is to me. You make your own idea of a 'soul'

ok. so if that's the case then really it's just me deciding what a soul is, if i have one and what their use is (if any). i think i'd have to agree that it's like someone's essence, their true self. throw in all the stuff about events, people, places, things, ideas, etc. that one's encountered and you've got something fairly complex (depending on the person & all those crazy circumstances).

Aeon: i think it's just what we think exists, or what we choose to believe & not believe. (so in that case, i think some of us know.)

Ed: you're takin this too far! but you have a point.

Addi: would these soul-filled donuts give a souless person a soul, just by eating one, or do you have to buy them in a dozen and eat them in installments? to answer all your questions (or try to):
1) i think it depends on how fresh they are.
2) i don't know about that, but i guess they could.
3) none whatsoever. you just have a feeling of disappointment at not getting the filling you wanted, and some experience anger along with it at the guy who stocked the donuts on the wrong shelf.
4) i think it depends on whether or not it causes you to meet someone really cool, or if it stains your shirt. but then again, if a person can get a soul from a donut, then why can't a shirt get one too?

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 11:55:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  cookies said:

>1) i think it depends on how fresh they are.
>2) i don't know about that, but i guess they could.
>3) none whatsoever. you just have a feeling of disappointment at not getting the filling you wanted, and some experience anger along with it at the guy who stocked the donuts on the wrong shelf.
>4) i think it depends on whether or not it causes you to meet someone really cool, or if it stains your shirt. but then again, if a person can get a soul from a donut, then why can't a shirt get one too?

Your knowledge of donut soulness is truely remarkable. Perhaps you need to change your name to "Souls & Donut Cream"

andariel Posted: Mon Jun 20 14:16:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dude, you so overlooked the box of donut holes. Is a box of donut holes nothing but soul?

sweet p Posted: Mon Jun 20 14:39:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I feel like an old soul.
Even though I'm not sure what an old soul is really supposed to feel like.
You know...you can feel young and old at the same time.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 15:14:42 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  andariel said:

>Is a box of donut holes nothing but soul?

Mmmm....Box full of donut holes...chock full of soulful goodness

*except those stinkin' white powder ones...yuck!

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 20 15:17:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>andariel said:
>
>>Is a box of donut holes nothing but soul?
>
>Mmmm....Box full of donut holes...chock full of soulful goodness
>
>: )
>
>*except those stinkin' white powder ones...yuck!
>
heh heh heh heh,
he said "white powder" . . .

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 15:19:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
>I feel like an old soul.

Smile P. You've got the best of both worlds...a young body with an old soul.

What you don't want is an old body with a young soul, cuz then you're basically just old and superficial

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 15:24:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>heh heh heh heh,
>he said "white powder" . . .

you can OD on those things

Also if you inhale right before you bite one of those babies the powder goes up your nose and you start gagging like an idiot

kurohyou Posted: Mon Jun 20 15:33:33 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My understanding is that the concept of an old soul revolves, in part, around the idea of reincarnation. The idea that your soul, or your essence if you'd rather, has been around for a while. That you have lived many lives and learned a lot.

Manifestiations of this that I have seen are people who seem wiser than their years, people who seem to have a deep understanding of "life lessons." Lessons which it takes many of us a lifetime to grasp.

The term soul tends to be misused and I think traditionally has been stigmatized, and therefore tends to garner reactions of various natures.

I do think that Chris is right in that people are searching for some type of "magic." But I don't know that its aimed at complicating things. Who's to say that the simper solution is that there is no god and that we have no deeper meaning and that life is what it is? How do we know that its the simpler solution? I dont' know that you can say that with any type of certainty, I know I couldn't though I fear I'm not as wise as young christophe.

So then why do so many want to believe in souls, god or what have you. I think it springs from a strong desire to be connected. The idea of not being connnected is difficult to grasp. The idea that we are here essentially by accident is disconcerting to an extent.

I think another peice of it is that we search for things we have lost. If you lose your keys, you look for them, if you lose your dog you go look for them. In our day to day lives we have gotten away from the natural way of doing things. Our communities have been splintered, and we are not as connected anymore. We have lost our connection with nature and with what we now call the supernatural. If those things were there, and are now lost it seems only natural that we would search for them.

I believe in "old souls" and in souls, though i cannot speculate on which area I fall into. I oft times feel set apart from my peers, but I cannot attribute that to some idea for which I don't know the answer to. But that doesn't mean that I won't join the hunt with everyone else who wants to believe that there is more to us than what we see.

For what it's worth...

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 17:04:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  kurohyou said:

>I think another peice of it is that we search for things we have lost.

I always like your posts, KuroldSoul. Even though most of them fuck with my eyes.
Now if we could only get you to let loose that silly kid you've buried deep inside.
Us reflective guys have to get stupid and silly and laugh at the world and ourselves now and then, or we'll shrivel up and die before our time...a fate worse than ODing on powdered donut holes.

So your next post better be really funny!

Mesh Posted: Mon Jun 20 17:11:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  There are nothing but old souls in Christiania. Everyone take a visit there before it is completely destroyed as a community.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 17:24:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "Christiania´s markedstradition startede med, at man slog sig ned på jorden og bredte sine ting ud på et tæppe. Efterhånden opstod mere boder i området fra Pusherstreet..."

My grandfather was Danish, but he never taught me how to speak a word.
Didn't see an option for english there.

kurohyou Posted: Mon Jun 20 17:42:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>So your next post better be really funny!
>

LOL!!! No pressure right???!!!!

I have that silly kid inside. He's a commanding little fucker though. I fear that If he takes over it will be nothing but fart jokes and whoopy cushions all over the place...that would be messy.

How do my posts fuck with your eyes? Do I need to change format?

Not that it matters...

cookies&cream Posted: Mon Jun 20 17:44:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>>
>Your knowledge of donut soulness is truely remarkable. Perhaps you need to change your name to "Souls & Donut Cream"
>

why thank you addi, i hoped it was helpful in answering all those questions for you. Ha ha, donut cream. nice.

Kurohyou: that's...cool. i've always thought reincarnation was possible, and i guess that it's what i believe, but what's the point in believing if nothing is certain? i think the whole part about one being wiser than their years has to do with certain situations that call for that previously learned wisdom to be called forth. except of course, for the people who use their wisdoms all the time, on a day-2-day basis. i'm one to use my wisdom only when it's needed, like when my pals have relationship/love troubles. goodness knows i've not experienced every love life crisis that most go through, but i know enough about common sense and morals to be able to direct someone else. if this can be applied as pre-learned wisdom, of course. i too, think the term is misused constantly, and that this constant misuse muddles the definition for the rest of us who question what it is.

i agree that looking for magic in a soul is over the top. magic, is only someone having a belief in something else. (it all comes back to believing, doesn't it?) some things do not need deeper meanings, and some people overanalyze & critique such things that were made simply, with the purpose of being simple. but who's to say it's not meant to be complex? how do we know there is a solution? maybe it wasn't a problem to begin with. of course, no one can say anything on this with any kind of certainty; it's all just our individual speculations.

again, the belief. connection is so important to most people, that you are right in saying that it's difficult to grasp. i myself have a hard time figuring all this out. (what of it there is to be figured). the very "first" humans may have had some record of where they came from. like with us, all they may have known was their parents, and their parents, and theirs, and so on. or they may have known that certain generations were distinctly different from others, (evolution) or they may have witnessed a burning bush speaking to someone ("intelligent design"). either way, people are striving to be connected to someone or something. however we came to be, however we were "created", each organism strives to be here for a purpose, in hopes of connecting themselves to something useful.

people are very determined to find things once they have lost or misplaced them. it's true we are not connected, but should we be? and to what, to whom? we have lost these connections you speak of, and i think they are important connections to have. but how do we reconnect ourselves without landing ourselves in a mental institution? if we call it supernatural now, what did we call it then? but what really is "natural" for us? we've distanced ourselves from nature for thousands of years (speculatively). so how do we discern between what's natural for our race and what isn't?

i too, am not sure which area i would be categorized in. maybe i don't need to know. i'm a normally sociable person, and i get along well with most other people. but some of my personality traits cause me to be set apart from others my age, and i find myself investigating other age groups of people, hoping to find a connection (yet again) that i may have with them. i think that souls also have to do with searching for who you are as an individual. it's like we're constantly hunting for something, but we're not always sure what. this is where the "purpose" of life would come in. i don't know what mine is, i couldn't tell you what anyone else's is, i couldn't even tell you if we as individuals or as groups even have a life purpose. i do think there really is more to us than what we see, but that sometimes we just have to do a little digging to find it.

i'm hoping that at least some of this makes sense, but since i worked on it without a break, it probably doesn't make too much sense to a lot of you. hopefully someone can get something out of it and put in their thoughts on the whole matter.

cookies&cream Posted: Mon Jun 20 17:50:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  kurohyou said:
>>How do my posts fuck with your eyes? Do I need to change format?

i agree. sometimes when i read yours and i scroll down, my eyes end up where they aren't supposed to be...for that i have to go back and reread the sentence/paragraph/whole dang post. that's ok though, you do have some good stuff to say.

kurohyou Posted: Mon Jun 20 18:10:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  cookies said:
>kurohyou said:
>>>How do my posts fuck with your eyes? Do I need to change format?
>
>
>i agree. sometimes when i read yours and i scroll down, my eyes end up where they aren't supposed to be...for that i have to go back and reread the sentence/paragraph/whole dang post. that's ok though, you do have some good stuff to say.

Hmmmmm.....Well thank you...must be how I do my paragraphs. I'll have to try to work on that for longer posts. Thanks for the input.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 20 18:45:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  kurohyou said:

>How do my posts fuck with your eyes? Do I need to change format?

Your posts are just fine, Kuro. My eyes need to be fucked with

*so do other parts of my body, but we won't go down that road now (choke may be lurking and she's easily excitable).

kurohyou Posted: Mon Jun 20 19:11:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>*so do other parts of my body, but we won't go down that road now (choke may be lurking and she's easily excitable).

You are completly on your own there friend...good luck with that...

choke Posted: Tue Jun 21 04:40:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>
>*so do other parts of my body, but we won't go down that road now (choke may be lurking and she's easily excitable).

:O

*snorts*

You're lucky I just had my blood taken and am too mellow at the moment to think of a nasty reply! :/

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 21 06:39:14 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>>*snorts*
>
>You're lucky I just had my blood taken and am too mellow at the moment to think of a nasty reply! :/
>
That's horrible, do you think they will bring it back ?

addi Posted: Tue Jun 21 07:33:33 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:

>You're lucky I just had my blood taken and am too mellow at the moment to think of a nasty reply! :/

New Zealand vampires. Who'd a thunk it?!

choke Posted: Tue Jun 21 15:24:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>>
>That's horrible, do you think they will bring it back ?

They better, else they'll be answering to me :/

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]