Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Show and Tell...
addi Posted: Mon Jun 27 16:11:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ...tell mostly...it's hard to show things here.

This is dedicated to passing on little things of interest that we've recently learned. So after we all post our fascinating bits of knowledge and trivia we can impress all the guests at our next cocktail party. If you're a plonker many women may want to have wild and crazy sex with you after they see how knowledgable you are. If you're a plinker it won't matter, cuz guys are desperate whether you're witty or not.

I'll get the ball rolling with two things i learned this past weekend:

1. Fire ants are used by the local natives in the Amazon basin as sutures when they have an open wound. They place them one by one over the wound and the large fire ant mandibles pierce the skin on either side of the wound and clamp it together. They then pull the body off of the ant and its head stays there, acting like stitches to heal the wound.
kinda disgusting but pretty creative use of those nasty lil guys.

2. 60 minutes had an interesting segment on dogs that can detect cancer in humans via their sense of smell. It was interesting to watch how the researchers did the study, and they showed some of the dogs actually pointing out the correct petri dish that had the cancer several times. The studies done so far were limited to bladder cancer, but they are going ahead and expanding it to include other types of cancers now. The benefit from this is that many types of cancer are very hard to determine in the early stages, but if the trained dogs are successfull "sniffing" out cancer in people at an early stage it may save many lives. So far the results are very encouraging. I am a sceptic about many things, but I think this may prove to be true.
I think they need to train some of these dogs to sniff out lying politicians : )

addi Posted: Mon Jun 27 18:48:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I also learned that on Mondays you can lead GTers to the computer, but you can't make them post.

andariel Posted: Mon Jun 27 19:34:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Samuel Adams was better known for his political doings than his beer, he in fact ran his inheritaed brewery into the gound.

While crossing the Delaware one of the things that George washington really said was to 280 pound general Henry "Ox" Knox; "Shift that fat ass,Hanry. But slowly, or you'll swamp the damned boat." As reported later by Knox him self.

In 1621, twelve women were sent from England to Virginia to be sold as wives. The price was 120 pounds of tobacco apiece of approximately one pound of tobacco per pound of woman.

Steve Vai was Joe Satrianis music teacher.

Johann Sebastian Bach had his uncle instruct him in music. His uncle was in turn taught by none other than Johann Pachelbel, of Pachelbel's Canon fame. Bach was quoted on several occasions saying that Pachelbel was by far the better musician.

There is enough Ethanol Alcohol in the Horsehead nebula to keep the entire population of the earth, if everyone on earth was a dedicated alcoholic, permanently drunk for a thousand years.

Gasoline has more alcohol content than beer or most wines.

Giraffes are the only mammal without vocal cords.

thats what I learned this weekend!

Zacq Posted: Mon Jun 27 19:48:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>I think they need to train some of these dogs to sniff out lying politicians : )

You can use my dog. He barks at Republicans when we tell him to.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 27 21:26:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  andariel said:
>Giraffes are the only mammal without vocal cords.
>
A giraffe has 5 vertabrae in its neck, the same as all mammals.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 27 21:54:14 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  : )
thanks friends

iggy Posted: Tue Jun 28 01:58:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i've learnt that king thong has changed his wrestler name to filthy mcnasty.

i'm still wondering about his costume though...

antartica Posted: Tue Jun 28 02:34:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chan said:
>i've learnt that king thong has changed his wrestler name to filthy mcnasty.
>
>i'm still wondering about his costume though...
>
>

no wonder there... a firered sequined thong you'll never go wrong with that guess.... oh ya... dun forget the painted toenails

Dancer Posted: Tue Jun 28 03:52:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>...tell mostly...it's hard to show things here.
>
>2. 60 minutes had an interesting segment on dogs that can detect cancer in humans via their sense of smell. It was interesting to watch how the researchers did the study, and they showed some of the dogs actually pointing out the correct petri dish that had the cancer several times. The studies done so far were limited to bladder cancer, but they are going ahead and expanding it to include other types of cancers now. The benefit from this is that many types of cancer are very hard to determine in the early stages, but if the trained dogs are successfull "sniffing" out cancer in people at an early stage it may save many lives. So far the results are very encouraging. I am a sceptic about many things, but I think this may prove to be true.
>I think they need to train some of these dogs to sniff out lying politicians : )
>

actually was just discussing over this illness this morning with my friends. It seems so common today when i can easily pick out 3 people i know who has/had got cancer. it's comforting to see improvements in medical field.. =))

addi Posted: Tue Jun 28 07:28:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dancer said:

>It seems so common today when i can easily pick out 3 people i know who has/had got cancer. it's comforting to see improvements in medical field.. =))

It's comforting to see Dancer posting : )

My father has it. It's been removed for the time being (it usually comes back sooner or later), so I try to appreciate every opportunity i have to see or speak with him now.

Which reminds that I've been trying to learn to not take life for granted. It's really so short. Concentrating on the beauty of this earth and not taking family and friends for granted is a daily goal. Sometimes I'm sucessful at it.

Mesh Posted: Tue Jun 28 07:47:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>
>Which reminds that I've been trying to learn to not take life for granted. It's really so short.

Amen to that. I dont know if I'll be alive ten years from now. I need to make the best I can of it.

libra Posted: Tue Jun 28 12:45:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This is kind of random, but i didn't want to start a new thread.

How angry am I allowed to be at my boyfriend for taking ecstacy at a club in Vancouver last night?

Right now I just feel sad.

Posted: Tue Jun 28 12:51:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>This is kind of random, but i didn't want to start a new thread.
>
>How angry am I allowed to be at my boyfriend for taking ecstacy at a club in Vancouver last night?
>
>Right now I just feel sad.

yo, that sucks pretty bad, dudette. Did he get home alright and everything at least?

FN Posted: Tue Jun 28 12:58:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Haha.

Dump the sad, sad guy.

His friends probably pushed him into doing it.

Pathetic.

Ed Posted: Tue Jun 28 13:03:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>How angry am I allowed to be at my boyfriend for taking ecstacy at a club in Vancouver last night?

Oh, you're allowed to kick his ass for it, figuratively or not. But would it be because of the X, or because he made you sad?

I'm watching a cat outside, through a window. It was eating grass, then it started doing a jig and I think it spewed.

breeze Posted: Tue Jun 28 14:15:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>This is kind of random, but i didn't want to start a new thread.
>
>
>Right now I just feel sad.

Talk to him. As long as it was a single instance and he's not gonna do it again, I think it's fine. People try stuff out of curiousity. Just tell him it made you sad and that you hope he's not gonna do it again. It will work better than getting angry at him, that's my opinion...

libra Posted: Tue Jun 28 16:48:10 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks you guys

its nice to know that i'm not overreacting. He hasn't woken up yet probably, so i haven't had a chance to talk to him.
He's safe, I'm assuming, since he emailed me from home last night, drunk, at 4:30 in the morning. usually drunken emails from him are sweet, hard to decipher, but never bad. i'm not really angry at him right now. I'm sort of sad, and i'm scared too. It was a girl at the club who gave him the e, and i'm scared to death something even worse happened. I know he wouldn't cheat on me...but there's always that fear, especially if he's on something.

Sigh.

FN Posted: Tue Jun 28 19:27:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  How can you be together with somebody who "usually sends sweet e-mails when he's drunk".

Really, what the fuck is he doing being drunk in the first place, and especially when you're not around to make sure nothing happens.

And believe me, you could never know that he wouldn't cheat on you.

Who cares who gave him the xtc anyway? Fact is that numbnuts took it.

What kind of a moron do you have to be to take something potentially legal in a club without knowing for sure where the stuff came from?

And by the way, it's called the lovedrug for a reason.

I don't want to fuck things up with you guys or anything, but I suggest that you'd think long and hard if this is really the guy you want to end up with if he's acting like a fucking idiot, the way he seems to.

People might tell you it's not a big deal, fuck that, it is a big deal, and being his girlfriend, it's your business too.

libra Posted: Tue Jun 28 19:42:55 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i talked to him. everything's ok. nothing bad happened...and i believe that...even if you don't chris.

Its hard for me to be here when he's up there going out with his buds. But I trust him and i know he and his friends do things safely (except for when he decides stupidly to take ecstacy). he told me he'd never do it again, and that he knows that it was dumb of him to take it.

He's also sure to tell me things too. He knew that i'd be upset about this, but he knew he had to tell me. Our communication skills are quite good, actually.

FN Posted: Tue Jun 28 20:42:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Whatever floats your boat.

He scored points with telling you though.

At the same time, he could have died, leaving you for the rest of your days with a drugdead boyfriend always lingering on in the back of your head. A bit too dramatic? Shit happens, probably more than you'd imagine.

Ed Posted: Tue Jun 28 22:43:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Tonight, I'm realizing that all-nighters, for class, exist during summer break. I'm hoping I can get through the night on espresso, chai tea, hot pockets, and fish sticks

Dancer Posted: Wed Jun 29 03:03:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>
>My father has it. It's been removed for the time being (it usually comes back sooner or later), so I try to appreciate every opportunity i have to see or speak with him now.
>

*pats* i think being by their side is really being encouraging for them.. hope your daddy stays healthy.

Beep Posted: Wed Jun 29 07:00:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mozart once composed a piece for violin where the violin was supposed to be held upside down. Now that's rock and roll..

i didn't learn that this weekend though, i hope it still counts :P

FN Posted: Wed Jun 29 07:33:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  About 1 in 3 people is carrying TBC

About 1 in 3-4 people has tapeworm

addi Posted: Wed Jun 29 07:59:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:

>i didn't learn that this weekend though, i hope it still counts :P

LOL!

We'll let it slide by this time..
but don't let it happen again!

: )

addi Posted: Wed Jun 29 08:00:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dancer said:

>*pats* i think being by their side is really being encouraging for them.. hope your daddy stays healthy.

So far so good
thank you, Dancer
hugs

sweet p Posted: Wed Jun 29 09:46:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  When planting a vegetable garden, make sure not to plant the cucumber seeds near the potatoes.

Cucumbers do not like potatoes. This is a fact.

addi Posted: Wed Jun 29 09:57:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:

>Cucumbers do not like potatoes. This is a fact.

I see racism and bigotry has spread to the world of vegtables too.
How sad.

Sweet peas to the carrots:
"Can't we all just get along?!"

breeze Posted: Wed Jun 29 11:56:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I watched a study on people telling lies and it showed that people who showed themselves as leaders in team projects before the study tended to be much better in lying than others. They were given a glass of something very sour and asked to taste it and try to show that it's really sweet and that they like it. The only people who succeded in this were the leaders of the group. Hence, politicans and business executives are so good at it. Also, people who are lying to you tend to look up and to the left (their left). And if the person is acused of something he/she didn't do, they become a little anctious and worried (signs we usually interpret as lying), whereas people who who actually did it stay much calmer and lie better.

And just another random fact - there are no pinguins in the North Pole, hmm.. (looks suspiciously at Addi)

cookies&cream Posted: Wed Jun 29 12:15:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ed said:
>>I'm watching a cat outside, through a window. It was eating grass, then it started doing a jig and I think it spewed.

the neighbor, from down the street has a humongous dog...and it came over today and was trying to get my dogs...but they're such a small breed that he couldn't get any anyway. i watched the antics calmly for awhile before i chased off the big dog. stupid dog.

addi Posted: Wed Jun 29 13:18:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  breeze said:

>And just another random fact - there are no pinguins in the North Pole, hmm.. (looks suspiciously at Addi)

There are no wild penguins in Tashkent wearing heels and thin ties,
hmm...(looks suspiciously at Breeze)

antartica Posted: Thu Jun 30 00:44:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jus a slight memory of this bit of info... can anyone confirm it?

the arctic is so called coz it actually means ploar bears or something like that

and antarctica is supposedly anti-bear or something like that meaning no bears...

and on the cancer thing... i've had 2 unkles one from each side of the family kicking the bucket from cancer, both supposedly cigarette related. but the docs got to em too late and both are now somewhere out there....

am i going to quit? nah... not for now at least. i know how bad it is and all that yahoo, but it's a comfort for me right now so... nah

sweet p Posted: Thu Jun 30 02:46:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>I see racism and bigotry has spread to the world of vegtables too.
>How sad.

Oh, but I laughed when I read it first!

"Cucumbers do not like potatoes."

heh

addi Posted: Thu Jun 30 06:58:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've just learned that Canadians are human too.

*but I hope that none of their ill tempered vegitables make their way south and spread an epidemic of Mad Cucumber disease here.

Mesh Posted: Thu Jun 30 07:42:32 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've learned that Charlie wasn't a Ghost, he was a human. And he killed his wife.

Mesh Posted: Thu Jun 30 08:00:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've also learned that a woman, who I am much bigger and stronger than, can still make me fear for my physical safety. She is very creepy, and stalks me. Seriously, she scares me. I really believe shes not right in the head.

I've learned this more of the course of last two weeks, rather than just today.

addi Posted: Thu Jun 30 09:01:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>I've also learned that a woman, who I am much bigger and stronger than, can still make me fear for my physical safety. She is very creepy, and stalks me. Seriously, she scares me. I really believe shes not right in the head.

That's pretty creepy, mesh.

It'd be interesting to hear how this all came about...

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]