Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Where I live
addi Posted: Mon Jul 11 11:13:46 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Found a cool site and got an idea.

http://earth.google.com/

If you download this to your computer you can view images from all over the world. At the site I was visiting people had typed in their home address and were able to pull up a photo of their house.
I thought it would be cool to see pics of where all you GTers live, and/or interesting landmarks of your city or country, or places you've been. I haven't done it myself (explaination later), but I'm assuming you can copy and past the link of the pic you want to share and post it on this thread because users could at the forum I saw it on.

Unfortunately, I can't do it at home. You need windows 2000 or newer (still operating on that dinosaur 98), or I would have started things out by showing my house and the lake behind it (I'll try my work computer tomorrow).
Also at this time it doesn't support mac users...sorry.
Also it's not real current..meaning that some of the images are at least 3 years old...so if you had an addition to your house last summer it probably won't show up on the image.

Anyhoo... I would love it if some adventurous soul(s) would try it and see if it's possible to share a pic of where you live

libra Posted: Mon Jul 11 11:20:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've got pictures of some places I've gone near my house on a photoblog, if that'd be of any use.

it's on buzznet.com, my username is my real name.
I don't have any pictures of my house, i don't think, but other exciting places are there.

Zacq Posted: Mon Jul 11 11:36:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I managed to get sort of an aerial view of the nearby terrain with a marker indicating my house, but not an actual photo or anything. It's really cool though when it zooms onto your town from the whole word view. I'll try messing with it some more.

libra Posted: Mon Jul 11 11:41:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oh, and i'll try the google earth thing the next time i use my dell.

addi Posted: Mon Jul 11 11:44:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Maybe it doesn't work. I should have tried it first at work before starting a thread I guess.
Thanks though Libra and meshie.

Zacq Posted: Mon Jul 11 11:50:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I tried some addresses for college buildings, and you can get some pretty decent views of cities, but anything I tried in small towns basically just showed elevation levels and where water is.

addi Posted: Mon Jul 11 11:57:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well dang!
What i don't understand is that the forum I was at had people posting that it showed their houses, and one guy had added a deck 2 years ago that wasn't on the picture.
Strange

Next time I check things out first myself and post after the fact.

addi Posted: Mon Jul 11 12:09:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>Thanks though Libra and meshie.

Correction:
Thanks Libra and ZACQ.

meh
all this rain has soaked my brain

Zacq Posted: Mon Jul 11 12:14:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What's the site where people were posting pictures? Maybe I can figure this out.

addi Posted: Mon Jul 11 12:27:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It was a site for the college football team I'm a fan of (it showed an overhead view of the stadium), but they can directly do URL imaging onto their posts there.

I guess I was thinking that if people found pics on google earth they wanted to share they could copy and paste the link and include it on a post, and we could link to it.

Zacq Posted: Mon Jul 11 12:49:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/Zacq0/asdf.jpg

That's a shot of an area in Boston. When I tried my town all I saw was green and blue, but for some reason the next town over I could see bulidings well enough to navigate around the town.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/Zacq0/westbrook.jpg

I'm going to look around this town and try to figure out about how old the picture is.

addi Posted: Mon Jul 11 13:02:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  so I take it you have to use a third party like photobucket in order to link the pics?

Zacq Posted: Mon Jul 11 13:13:43 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's a standalone program, so unless I'm missing something, you have to save images and then upload them to Photobucket or another site.

Zacq Posted: Mon Jul 11 13:15:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And I'm pretty sure the second image is from about four months ago based on the color of a few buildings and the lack of a construction area for the new Honda place.

addi Posted: Mon Jul 11 13:28:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Zacq said:
>It's a standalone program, so unless I'm missing something, you have to save images and then upload them to Photobucket or another site.

oh
Well I'm going to try it tomorrow on my work computer and see what happens.
All things considered I shouldn't have started this baby till I fully checked out the logistics of it all

kurohyou Posted: Mon Jul 11 15:47:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well I downloaded it and got it working. Its pretty impressive, but not 100% up to date. A friend of mine at work and I found his house, but it didn't show all of the most recent upgrades. Found my office and that was a pretty old picture as well, pre my employement with the company.

I'll tell you this though, it was fun and I can easily see myself losing hours just playing around with it.

I especially like the way it flys over when you change addresses as it is going from the previous address to the address you just entered.

Yet another amazing way to waste some time.

Not that it matters...

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jul 11 16:04:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  didn't have to download anything, just typed in an address on google and hit enter, then click the map (first entry) and you're in business. you'll get a map at first, then click on satellite in the upper right hand corner of the map.
I like following the roads by double clicking on the picture.

libra Posted: Mon Jul 11 18:36:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oooo, i found my house.

That's really cool.

FN Posted: Mon Jul 11 18:46:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's cool because of the zooming function, though you can only get relatively clear shots in certain areas.

In Flanders we have a site that does more or less the same thing, with the different being that it's very detailed, in a way you can see individual cars and stuff and you can *really* see your house and property.

It's fun for a while.

Mesh Posted: Mon Jul 11 19:02:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It keeps saying that its not connecting to the internet and to check my connection when I open it......well I am always connected goddamnit, and I'm on here right now so I KNOW I am connected right now.

Mesh Posted: Mon Jul 11 19:03:03 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'll try it to get it to work later, I just got home I want to just be lazy and watch the Simpsons right now.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]