Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

goofing off
breeze Posted: Mon Jul 18 17:36:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  According to a recent survey by Salary.com and America Online, "goofing off" at work costs U.S. companies an estimated $759B each year.

The rule of thumb for Human Resource professionals is that 1 hour is wasted on non-work activities in every 8 hour day (excluding a lunch hour). In reality, the survey indicates that the average worker actually spends 2.09 hours per day staring off into space, surfing the internet or playing wastebasket basketball.
The main reasons given by survey participants for their wasted time included "Not enough work to do" (33.2%), "Underpaid for their work" (23.4%) and "Co-workers distract me" (14.7%). The survey also found a strong correlation between the age of the employee and the amount of wasted time. Employees born between 1930 and 1949, on average, only wasted 0.50 hours per day, the lowest average. Missouri led the nation in average wasted hours per workday with 3.2 and South Carolina topped the list of the most focused employees with only 1.3 hours wasted per day.

The most popular diversions during the workday included:

Surfing the internet: 44.7%
Socializing with co-workers: 23.4%
Conducting personal business: 6.8%
Spacing out: 3.9%

here we go, another 10 min "wasted" out of my working day. Good thing they didn't add me into stats, i'd skew them up...

DanSRose Posted: Mon Jul 18 18:20:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm confused. Is that how much the company would make if it weren't for the employee's goofing off or is it how the company loses?

Aeon Posted: Mon Jul 18 19:35:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If I had to put a percentage on the time I spend working and the time I spend goofing off I'd say I goof off about... 88% of the time. No joke. But I work for Sam's Club (and thereby Wal-Mart) so who gives a fuck?

breeze Posted: Mon Jul 18 21:13:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>I'm confused. Is that how much the company would make if it weren't for the employee's goofing off or is it how the company loses?

I think it's the money that the company wasted pretty much paying you, while you didn't do anything at your work.

addi Posted: Mon Jul 18 21:15:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  breeze said:

>I think it's the money that the company wasted pretty much paying you, while you didn't do anything at your work.

lol!
I think she's talking about you, Dan

breeze Posted: Mon Jul 18 22:09:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>breeze said:
>
>>I think it's the money that the company wasted pretty much paying you, while you didn't do anything at your work.
>
>lol!
>I think she's talking about you, Dan

Dang, I knew someone's gonna get it that way =P I meant that in general, nothing personal Dan =)

blink Posted: Wed Jul 20 12:11:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The only job I can think of that doesn't allow goofing off is... i-banking.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]