Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Supreme Court choice
Mesh Posted: Thu Jul 21 08:52:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've not yet had a chance to really find out much about it, but I'm just rather quite suprised to see there has yet not been a thread about it.

So.....John Roberts. Good choice, bad choice, dont give a fuck because you dont live in USA, option four?

Discuss please, and do not let this thread become a failure.

Beep Posted: Thu Jul 21 08:56:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm englsih and am not entirely sure who he is or what he will do. i'm vaguely familiar with the supreme court. care to fill me in?

addi Posted: Thu Jul 21 08:59:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Bush is a conservative.
He chose a conservative justice.
Roberts doesn't have a long record of past decisions to look up, and isn't extreme enough for the democrats to mount a strong arguement against.
He'll be confirmed rather painlessly I believe.

Too bad it wasn't a moderate female or minority IMO. It's turning back into a "good 'ol boys" club again (the only thing black about Clarence Thomas is his skin color).

FN Posted: Thu Jul 21 09:05:33 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm against positive discrimination.

What's wrong with appointing white guys aged 20 to 60?

addi Posted: Thu Jul 21 09:16:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>I'm against positive discrimination.

I'm for negative discrimination.

(WTF?)

>What's wrong with appointing white guys aged 20 to 60?

There's nothing inherantly wrong with it. I was once a white male myself. It's more a personal preferance sort of thingie.
If I'm given a choice between homogeneity or diversity in a group I would choose the latter. I think it's healthier concerning the importance and impact of the rulings this group makes.

FN Posted: Thu Jul 21 09:48:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think in a way positive discrimination is even worse than negative discrimination, as the first leads only to the second in the long run.

DanSRose Posted: Thu Jul 21 10:51:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Other than he's a white conservative guy, I don't know anything about him. There isn't any reason to be against him, just like there isn't any reason to be for him. THere doesn't seem to be anything that makes him unique.
I also think it's a really cheap road to go down to not answer any questions about past judicial decisions to know how well you are qualified for the job.

Zacq Posted: Thu Jul 21 11:51:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know too much about this, because I think the entire process is bullshit (yet that doesn't stop me from reading about Congress) but I believe one candidate, Edith Clement or something close to that had gotten her previous judicial position by a 99-0 vote in the Senate (Biden was busy with the ladies). I, admittedly not knowing to much about this, think it would've been nice as Addison said to keep some diversity in the group and choose a women, especially one that maybe we could all agree upon and set a precedent for picking people that we like to have really powerful positions.

I have nothing against Biden by the way.

Posted: Thu Jul 21 17:59:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Remember, Sandra Day O'Connor was once considered a hardline conservative, as well. She went through a period of zen where she began to lean leftward :)

Zacq Posted: Thu Jul 21 21:28:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In the biz we like to call it 'becoming informed' or just 'enlightenment.'

Asswipe Posted: Fri Jul 22 03:31:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  what the fuck is the supreme court?

Ahriman Posted: Fri Jul 22 08:32:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Roberts clerked for Rehnquist for a couple of years, he's argued 39 cases in front of the supreme court, was an independent lawyer for most of his life, was a judge for two years, hardcore conservative, married, has kids, not much for woman's/minoritie's rights, etc. etc. etc.
"No sir, I don't like it."

mat_j Posted: Sun Jul 24 12:33:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey is Clarence Thomas still around? Still owes me ten bucks for vanishing that dead 'homeless' girl.

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jul 24 13:10:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Too bad it wasn't a moderate female or minority IMO. It's turning back into a "good 'ol boys" club again (the only thing black about Clarence Thomas is his skin color).
>
Are you saying you cannot be "black" unless you are a liberal. Isn't that racist in itself ? Clarence Thomas is as black as Barack Obama.

Seems to me that Dubya has promoted more minority personell to high office than any other prez.

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jul 24 13:10:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  BTW, Anne Coulter doesn't like Roberts either so that makes most of you in agreement with Anne Coulter.

addi Posted: Sun Jul 24 13:59:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  filthy mcnasty said:

>Are you saying you cannot be "black" unless you are a liberal.

that's exactly what I'm saying. A black conservative republican is like being a born again prostitute...they're around, but it just ain't right

: )

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]