Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Returning Hungrier than Ever (for cow)
Zacq Posted: Fri Jul 29 15:30:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So I'm back from a mission trip yadda yadda I helped people it was great here's what's important: You may hear people bragging about how their state is the best at some sort of food and assume it's probably not much different than anywhere else. Now personally, I'm not a big fan of steak. But many a person has told me to have a Philly Cheese Steak, as Philadelphia is known to have the best anywhere. So on Thursday I'm at a rehabilitation clinic for formerly homeless men, and it is recommended I go to Max's for the cheese steak. This is written sloppily by the way because I've only eaten once in the 24 hours since and thinking about this is making me hungry.

Oh
my
god that was the best thing I have ever eaten in my life. The best. Ever. Go to Philly now. Max's is on Erie Street. Can't miss it because you'll be stuck at it's intersection for at least a minute.

Anyone else had a Philly Cheese Steak and where from, I've now heard opinions on most of the places that serve good ones (or popular ones that don't).

addi Posted: Fri Jul 29 16:35:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mmmmm.....cow

Always wanted to try a real cheesesteak in Philly, but didn't get the chance last time I was there.
Breeze is living there now, but I don't think she eats cow...just sushi and cilantro I believe.

DanSRose Posted: Sat Jul 30 02:08:32 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I never had a cheesesteak in Philly, just a regular steak sandwich. It's not a kosher thing- I just don't like how meat and cheese taste together (with the exception of chicken parmagina)
But yes, I second Zacq's
Oh
My
God

Philly has some of the best food in the country. mmmmm. When I went, me and a few friends went to a fancy restaurant called Circa, which was a bank that was converted into a restaurant. mmmmm.
Also, a great breakfast place I will never cease stop raving about called Bonté. I. Love. Belgian. Waffles. mmmm... Waffles

erikagm Posted: Sat Jul 30 14:15:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  First off... What the heck is a cheesesteak?

Secondly, I agree with the fact that Philly has some of the best food anywhere. I went there on a marathon trip of 16 hours (6 of which were spent sleeping, 4 touring the city, and I will refrain to mention what I did during the other 6 hours... I'll just say it was memorable) and had a burger there at a place near a park (dont ask me for names, I was too sleepy)

I will repeat

Oh
My
God

That was THE best burger I have ever had, and that's saying something after trying in and out's burgers in CA and the hard rock cafe burger in Mex.

Yum yum...

But if you want other good eateries, try ZOE in lower Manhattan or the French Bistro near Central Park. (dunno if they're still there though, went there in '98)

JesusOnline Posted: Sat Jul 30 15:13:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>First off... What the heck is a cheesesteak?

I second that.

Zacq Posted: Sat Jul 30 18:02:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have no clue how you could spend time touring Philly without finding out what a cheesesteak is Erika, but I'll tell you nonetheless.

A cheesesteak is a grinder (hero, sub, whatever your preference) that contains both cheese and steak.

If you don't know what a sub is (like from Subway only real ones are bigger and considerably more full) then do a Google image search or something.

The basis of a cheesesteak is that you have cheese, generally either Cheese Whiz (not really like the stuff in a can) or American Cheese (my choice). You can also have peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, etc... If you add tomato sauce it's called a Pizza Steak.

I had one with just steak, cheese, and lettuce to hold it all together and it was the most amazing thing I've eaten. The size I got was called a 'half,' which was about as much as I could eat. I can't imagine holding a 'giant' (the other size) one.

Now the most popular places to go are Pat's (the name might be longer but that's what I heard) and Geno's, which are right by each other. Pat's claims to have first put small, chopped up pieces of steak in a grinder while Geno's apparently first added cheese. However, from what I've heard, these two places have become almost a fast food chain, mass-producing the grinders for the many tourists that go there rather than making each individually with care. I don't know about those places, but I got to watch my steak chopped up and the cheesesteak made.

breeze Posted: Sat Jul 30 21:30:14 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Zacq said:
>Now the most popular places to go are Pat's (the name might be longer but that's what I heard) and Geno's, which are right by each other. Pat's claims to have first put small, chopped up pieces of steak in a grinder while Geno's apparently first added cheese. However, from what I've heard, these two places have become almost a fast food chain, mass-producing the grinders for the many tourists that go there rather than making each individually with care. I don't know about those places, but I got to watch my steak chopped up and the cheesesteak made.

Yup yup those places are the best places to eat the authentic Philly cheesesteak! =) They even invented their own language in Pat's which you have to use when ordering your cheesesteak like if you want cheese with it you say "cheez wiz" or "cheez without" and if you want onions you say "whiz with" or "whiz without" and if you screw up you go to the back of the line and believe me it's long at any time of the day or night (it's open 23 hours a day).

DanSRose, couldn't agree more on Bonte =) that place has the best waffles I've ever had. it's close to where I work now, so I go there every morning for the coffee and waffles, yummy!

Addi, I promise next time you come to Philly I'll take you to Pat's and nothing exotic like Humus or Sushi, you're just soo picky =P

Philly, has tons of good places to eat, not as many as NYC of course but for it's still pretty diverse. There's a place in old city called Tangerine that serves Morroccan food - you gotta go to that place =) a little pricey though but it's worth it...

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]