Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Chicago!!
choke Posted: Mon Aug 1 02:08:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I know, I'm posting this way too early but I'm going to Chicago in a week to live for a year. I don't like cities, (well the one time I ever went to one I didn't like it) and the only thing I know about the USA is what I've seen on movies like 'Clueless'. And if the girls are really like that I'm going to kill someone. Any advice on dealing with the natives? Will they laugh at my accent? Will I be 3 years behind them in my schoolwork? What do Americans think of New Zealanders? Will I get gang bashed on my first day?

Posted: Mon Aug 1 02:15:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ohhh, goodness, Chicago is wonderful.

My photos from my trip there earlier this year can be found here:
http://contrakarma.com/chicago/

overall, the north side is a bit cleaner and nicer, but significantly more expensive.
Make sure you catch a Chicago Cubs baseball game. it's worth it, no matter what.

Get a permanent CTA travel train, even if you own a car.

Check out the Cheesecake factory on Michigan ave. right below the John Hancock building.

Ignore White Sox fans as best as possible!

choke Posted: Mon Aug 1 02:20:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>
>
>Check out the Cheesecake factory on Michigan ave. right below the John Hancock building.
>
Holy shit I'm going to be living on the same street as the cheesecake factory. *swoons*

choke Posted: Mon Aug 1 02:49:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just looked at the photo essay.. It's great :D I'm feeling a little better after seeing the cheesecake. Thanks :)

Posted: Mon Aug 1 03:41:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Just looked at the photo essay.. It's great :D I'm feeling a little better after seeing the cheesecake. Thanks :)

I'm positive you'll love it.
Chicago's my second favourite city, next to Montreal.

addi Posted: Mon Aug 1 07:25:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>the only thing I know about the USA is what I've seen on movies like 'Clueless'. And if the girls are really like that I'm going to kill someone. Any advice on dealing with the natives? Will they laugh at my accent? Will I be 3 years behind them in my schoolwork? What do Americans think of New Zealanders? Will I get gang bashed on my first day?

No worries. You'll be fine, I promise. Some of the girls are like Clueless, but most aren't. You'll go through some culture shock, but it will definately be worth it.
Things you need to not stress out about:
People will LOVE your accent...especially the plonkers.
Chances are with schoolwork it will be just the opposite. I'm no expert on the NZ educational system, but in most cases the U.S. public school system lacks behind other developed countries in the quality of their education. Europeans that I know who have come here have found it that way compared to their home schooling.

98% of the people you meet will welcome you with open arms. Just be prepared for some dumb questions about NZ coming your way. And make sure you bring some summer clothes. It's winter for you, but ChiTown can get pretty damn hot this time of year.
...and good luck adjusting to the time difference the first week : )

addi Posted: Mon Aug 1 07:29:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ps don't listen to Crim. Going to a baseball game (any baseball game) will bore you to tears. You'll want to punch someone by the 3rd inning. You'll want to kill yourself by the 7th inning stretch.
If someone insists on having you experience American sports go see a saturday college football game...now that's exciting.

: )

Zacq Posted: Mon Aug 1 09:43:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ps don't listen to Crim. Going to a baseball game (any baseball game) will bore you to tears. You'll want to punch someone by the 3rd inning. You'll want to kill yourself by the 7th inning stretch.
>If someone insists on having you experience American sports go see a saturday college football game...now that's exciting.
>
>: )

Well ignoring those who don't have an appreciation for sports, my advice is not to go to a Chinese restaurant unless you see Chinese people eating there.

jennemmer Posted: Mon Aug 1 11:03:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have spent a total of 5 monthes in the Chicago area and I love it. Granted I live in the suburbs and not downtown so the pace is a bit slower, but it's a nice city all the same.

I love how they have most of the waterfront in the city as public land. There are times I will go downtown and spend most of the afternoon just walking up and down the lake shore.

People will tell you to go to Navy Pier. I personally ask why because there is really nothing there but overpriced shops.

Also, instead of paying $25 to go up the Sears tower or the Hancock tower observation decks go to the lounge in the Hancock tower. You'll have to buy a drink or something and they are overpriced, but still a $5.00 glass of coke or something is cheaper than the $25. Plus the best view of Chicago is from the women's washroom in the lounge. (Honnest!)

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Aug 1 13:11:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Zacq said:
>Well ignoring those who don't have an appreciation for sports, my advice is not to go to a Chinese restaurant unless you see Chinese people eating there.

Hahahaha. I mostly agree. But if you do go there, expect hardcore real Chinese food, typically meaning hardcore real Chinese waiters.

Chinese food is amazing; I love it. I go out to eat at Chinese places all the time. And it's true that the places most worth your time will look a bit sketch.

Be prepared for waiters that don't socialize much, but are prompt.

And if you don't know what something is or if something looks really sketch, I wouldn't bother asking. Just eat it; keep it if it tastes good. If it doesn't, don't eat any more of it. But really... don't ask what something is if you don't know because chances are that it'll taste amazing but be something that might freak you out.

Chicken feet, anyone?

Kira Posted: Wed Aug 3 00:20:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Americans think New Zealand is way cool. That's where Frodo and his elf friends live.

They will love your accent.

Don't listen to Addison. Go see a baseball game.

choke Posted: Wed Aug 3 00:35:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Americans think New Zealand is way cool. That's where Frodo and his elf friends live.
>
>They will love your accent.
>
>Don't listen to Addison. Go see a baseball game.

Lol.. I've heard we talk too fast and we slop our words around :P

Kira Posted: Wed Aug 3 01:20:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>
>Lol.. I've heard we talk too fast and we slop our words around :P

Yeah, and we never do that. :P

This is how I talk lately:

"So she came in, I mean she came in and I was like, I mean I said, 'Hey' I mean 'HELLO' and she was like, I mean she said, 'What's up?' and I said, 'My vocabulary is deteriorating precipitously.' But she didn't get it."

addi Posted: Wed Aug 3 06:52:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:

>Don't listen to Addison.

generally speaking that's pretty sound advice

choke Posted: Wed Aug 3 18:33:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>
>
>"So she came in, I mean she came in and I was like, I mean I said, 'Hey' I mean 'HELLO' and she was like, I mean she said, 'What's up?' and I said, 'My vocabulary is deteriorating precipitously.' But she didn't get it."
>
>
Whoa.

Kira Posted: Thu Jun 1 21:55:57 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>"So she came in, I mean she came in and I was like, I mean I said, 'Hey' I mean 'HELLO' and she was like, I mean she said, 'What's up?' and I said, 'My vocabulary is deteriorating precipitously.' But she didn't get it."
>

Yeesh!

choke Posted: Fri Jun 2 10:21:27 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Eeee! Wow. I don't even remember making this thread. Things have changed so much. Thought I should clarify that I didn't actually endup on the same street as the cheesecake factory, I got my street names wrong. Rich people north shore yaaaaaaaaah!!!

- And now I talk like Kira too!!!

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jun 2 10:25:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Eeee! Wow. I don't even remember making this thread. Things have changed so much. Thought I should clarify that I didn't actually endup on the same street as the cheesecake factory, I got my street names wrong. Rich people north shore yaaaaaaaaah!!!
>
>- And now I talk like Kira too!!!
>
Hey Choke, are you glad to be home now ?
Will you be visiting American again ?

Was is pretty much what you expected ?
Can I paint your toenails ?

addi Posted: Fri Jun 2 14:38:59 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Hey Choke, are you glad to be home now ?

Don't have her leave us prematurely. She's still on our soil for a few more weeks.

>Can I paint your toenails ?

yes...I'm partial to hot pink

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]