Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

erratic machines and what they do for us
mat_j Posted: Sun Aug 14 16:46:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This was originally a response to the below posting in the social music networking thread, but then i thought, i do not usually form sentimental attachements to inanimate things that aren't cartoons or musical instruments and wondered if anybody has anything similar..........

Sweet P said:
>Christophe said:
>>I do not believe in ringtones
>
>I quite dislike them as well.
>But then again, I don't really like cell phones either. I finally got one this year and my friends get annoyed because I rarely answer it.
>
>For ringtones, the least disruptive to the people around you, the better!

Sign me up to this league i hate ringtones!! I have an eccentric phone called betsy who hates them, she's an ageing SPV, she doesn't answer calls until a few seconds after the buttons pressed. She doesn't respond to buttons being pressed very much at all actually, she usually picks another person to send a text message as well as my choice which i have to delete, half the software including that for her camera hightailed it out of town about a year ago leaving to inkling as to where it went.

When i take her out of my pocket she's usually busy thinking to herself about something and i have to wait until the spinny wheel egg timer vanishes before i can do anything. Betsy is also a narcoleptic and i regularly find her either switched off or emulating a switched off state and after i shake her a bit she comes back to life.

The software card who i call Toto (Betsy's pet) is equally as erratic chosing it's moments once a month or so to tell me what it has stored on it, but even these solitary howls are useless as i can't do anything with them on account of the missing software.

Betsy is a nightmare, but i like the idea of having a decrepit phone that doesn't always do what i want, it's taught me to be very patient and and not to worry about 2 in 10 of the calls i recieve. At the end of the day i can still phone people and recieve (most of their) calls, i can also cautiously text and if i'm bored play solitaire on it whilst hiding in the toilets in work.

In short i'm not getting rid of her until she is comlpetely knackered and even after that she is getting a place amongst the honoured dead in my wardrobe.

Mark Posted: Sun Aug 14 16:55:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lol... great tale :) Don't know how serious I have to take it :p but I liked it.

mat_j Posted: Sun Aug 14 16:57:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can promise you hands on heart that's exactly how it is!

addi Posted: Sun Aug 14 18:20:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have never owned a cell phone in my life. I understand their necessity and convience, but I've always disliked the idea of people being able to reach me all the time. I value my privacy too much maybe.

FN Posted: Sun Aug 14 19:55:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've had 3 cell phones. All Nokia's. Nokia was initially a company that made paper. Not that that has anything to do with this.

First one was the same one Neo has in the first Matrix, a Nokia 7110. It looked very cool with the slide that jumped open when you answered a call. I had it before Neo got it by the way. I think he got that cool by copying everything I do. Like going into bullettime mode and stuff. Good times with that phone, it's still lying around at my dad's place, with some really kinky messages on it from various girls lol.

Then there was the second one, a Nokia 7650, which had well over 10 000 messages stored on it over a period of about 2 years. At some point I got a message, and it just freezed and I was never able to restart it after that. I guess it just had enough.

Right now I have my favourite phone out of the 3 I have owned, a Nokia 6600. I take special care on not having it die on me because of the same reasons as the previous one, so I just keep something like the last 100 messages I recieved before I clean it up, and the messages I got that make me look good and are worth keeping for some reason beyond me to be honest, but I somehow seem to hang on to them. I just checked and there are exactly 481 messages on it right now.

Besides sending/recieving calls and messages, I use my cell phone as a sort of notepad, whenever I think of something, anything, I make a note of it and once those notes pile up I put them together, store them in my mind if you will, and then get rid of them. It's just to make sure I don't forget important stuff or interesting (to me) conclusions or thoughts I somehow came up with during the day. I also take notes of things I hear other people say, especially "sayings" and stuff. Or when I read something that I want to remember.

I also use it to record songs or whatever sometimes when I hear something I like but don't remember the title. There's a handy forum that I frequent with a lot of people who know just about anything about music, so you put a sample on there and they tell you the artist and title of the song. Very useful.

I don't take a lot of pictures with it, only a few here and there, usually when I take a picture it's the tracklist on the back of a CD when I see a CD that I like so I can download the songs when I get home.

I also use my phone as a sort of flashlight.

Some buttons aren't working anymore, unless you know how to press them. I know, but none of my friends can type a message on my phone or call somebody with it. It's a sort of security feature.

I don't give a name to my phone or something, but I do appreciate it for its usefulness, I don't think I could do without my phone, and I always carry it on me like I carry my wallet with me. Left pocket is for my wallet. Right pocket is for my phone.

Mouse Posted: Sun Aug 14 23:41:03 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>First one was the same one Neo has in the first Matrix, a Nokia 7110.

Oooh, I'm soo jealous. Damn you.
*Grrr*
*Deep breath* Okay, I'm fine now.

I'm still not used to having a cell phone, I still startle when someone calls me. It's one of the irritating flip phones that everyone has. I was using it for a watch for a little while, until my folks got tired of me muttering about needing to get a watch and got one for me. I'm still using it for an alarm, which I often sleep through but oh well.
Currently my home phone is messed up because of the DSL so my cell is the only phone I can actually hear someone on.

My former watch gradually stopped responding to having it's buttons pressed. The light was the first to go, then the mode button. Eventually I gave up on it and had to settle for one of the ugly-ish watches they're making now.

Mouse

addi Posted: Mon Aug 15 06:56:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  One thing that seriously pisses me off about cell phones is the service providers behind them. Like I said, I don't personally use one, but I've had to deal with three different companies for my son's phone (AT&T, Verizon, Cingular). EVERY one of them has srewed up the billing and the service at one time.
You need to be a rocket scientist to understand the bills...user charge here, surcharge there, this tax, that tax. So you sign up for $39.00 a month and you get billed for $82.00 a month. God help you if you have to speak to a real person on the phone too. By the time you get through working your way through the maze of automated prompts, and then sit on hold for 20 minutes listening to a recorded voice tell you "Your call is VERY important to us. Thank you for holding. A customer servive representative will be with you momentarily" every five seconds..i just want to scream and rip someone's head off.
Eventually you get some idiot that makes it clear they could care less about whatever problem you have, and by the time they finish speaking nonsense to you you hang up and realize that you've just lost an hour of your life and you're no more enlightened about your problem than before you made the call.

Just typing this out is making my blood pressure rise.

jennemmer Posted: Mon Aug 15 10:32:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My cell phone and I aren't all that close. It is a very simple thing whose most high-tech function is that it remembers phone numbers for me.

My laptop computer however is a very different story. It is an extention of my life. It is my personal laptop but it has also become my work computer. My entire life is on this thing (it gets backed up _very_ regularly) it is my journal, my photo album, my music collection, my day planner and in a lot of ways my connection to friends who are far away. The background changes with my mood. It has become something so personal that consequently you need a password to get back in when it goes to the screen saver and the security is set such that even if I set up another user on this computer no one can get at my files without my password. I'm a pretty private person and I know just how much this could give away...

libra Posted: Mon Aug 15 14:43:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was very attached to my previous cell phone. It was rather adorable...and I never met anyone with the same phone, so it was kind of special too. My friend named it Shelby.
My phone now is more generic looking...not so special...but with more features, most of which i probably will never use.

I tend to get attached to the machinery that I use a lot...when we sold my old car, i cried and i hated the new car my parents bought for me to use. I like it more now...and am grateful for the actual functioning air conditioning (the old car just blew air the temperature of the air outside at you.)

And now that I have a new iBook, i occasionally miss the need to run virus scans, the error messages, and the general fussiness of my old dell. But I think i'll get used to this new computer.

kurohyou Posted: Mon Aug 15 16:11:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My phone has been set to vibrate for the last 3 years because of my distain for annoying ringtones. Though I do use the ringtones of others to practice my patience, because my first response when hearing "oops I did it again" on someones cell phone is to strangle the life out of them...

I also tend not to get attached to cell phones because in my line of work, I destroy them on a semi-regular basis. I give the one I'm carrying now another three months tops before it is run over by a scissor lift or dropped from a 45' grid. They don't like that too much believe it or not.

Not that it matters...

Paulo Posted: Mon Aug 15 16:51:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have the newest model of Mat's phone, in fact Mat's phone used to be my phone, and before that it was someone else's. It's shit because the previous owner (the one before me) didn't delete any of the text messages he received.

It does have that nice ziggy from Quantum Leap vibe to it.

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Aug 15 22:23:33 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i had a really cute color flip phone that i personalized to fit all of my wants and needs. it could make phone calls, keep my schedule, give me an alarm, record memos, do my dishes, and be my prom date.

alas, i lost it and some punk found it and stole it, racking up 6.70 in text charges... which is a fair number considering texts are .05 cents each for me.

so i got a new phone. and it's not a nice.

: (

mat_j Posted: Sun Aug 21 10:37:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Paulo said:
>I have the newest model of Mat's phone, in fact Mat's phone used to be my phone, and before that it was someone else's. It's shit because the previous owner (the one before me) didn't delete any of the text messages he received.
>
>It does have that nice ziggy from Quantum Leap vibe to it.

That's just because i smoke cigars whilst hitting it trying to get information

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]