Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Stem Cell Debate
zander83 Posted: Thu Aug 25 22:05:43 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The whole stem cell debate kind of reminds me of this quote that i just found:
Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.

Anyways, just wondering where everyone stands on this strangely divisive subject(I would have assumed it to be a no-brainer... but then what do i know)

Mark Posted: Fri Aug 26 03:00:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  zander83 said:
>The whole stem cell debate kind of reminds me of this quote that i just found:
>Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.

Alpha Centauri??

>Anyways, just wondering where everyone stands on this strangely divisive subject(I would have assumed it to be a no-brainer... but then what do i know)

I will have to get back to you on that one... I need to get myself more info

FN Posted: Fri Aug 26 08:18:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm 100% for it.

Mesh Posted: Fri Aug 26 08:24:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Where do they get the stem cells from? And what would be done with those stem cells if they weren't used?

Mark Posted: Fri Aug 26 09:04:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, I did what I said I would do and got myself more info. This together with what I’ve seen in the debates during the debates between Bush and Kerry, I would guess the most fuss is about the embryonic stem cells. Does one destroy life with this research?

As far as I see it, I would have to say no… or not really. The embryo’s used are only for or five days old and according to the info I found (http://stemcells.nih.gov/index.asp) It only contains about 30 cells. And to be honest I think this can be quite fruitful. So I’m for it. The embryo’s are made through IVF, so they are outside the female body and if they are not used they will be frozen so they can be kept.

And besides… in the discussions I heard about, the most of those that where against it called it the destruction of a human life (or something in that order). But is it? And is it that bad? We kill creatures that consist of only 1 cell because they can make us ill, we kill animals and plants by the thousends because we need more space or for fun and we do kill humans.

Silentmind Posted: Fri Aug 26 12:21:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm for it. And I'm for using the embryonic cells. The invitro that is used creates an excess of embryos that can be used. They implant too many in the women to increase the chances of success, so to those that feel using an embryo for science is wrong, is the above situation murder? The couple implants 5 embryos when perhaps 1 or two would survive. Most people would say no to that being murder, so why is using embryos that wouldn't be used for any other purpose considered morally wrong and murder? The science is using something that would be destroyed anyways {which not too many people oppose} for the betterment of society.

DanSRose Posted: Fri Aug 26 13:03:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Science is science, and science is progress. Whenever science is withheld from progressing progressing foward bya society, the society's weaknesses are shown.
In other words, I think it's a stupid thing to do to stop stem cell research because of questionable ethics that have root in B-sci/fi films from the 50s.
People continuing to have have Alzheimer's and the like is ssoooooooo much better than a world of possible bee-people. Yeah, whatever.

Mesh Posted: Fri Aug 26 13:27:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Did a bit of reading. I say go for it.

antartica Posted: Fri Aug 26 17:46:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i totally agree with Meshy

it's like in this day and age where energy is so valuable

when companies explore and produce oil, there comes with oil a lot of natural gas that goes unharnessed... what happens to it you ask, if it's unharnessed?

it gets burned away... why not onvert it to LNG and make it another power source and revenue generation?

same as stem cells. it's all there, why let it got to waste?

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]