Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Medication
Zacq Posted: Fri Aug 26 14:02:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  From 'Information For Patients Taking Concerta Or Their Parents Or Caregivers'

What is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder?

ADHD has three main types of symptoms: inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness. Symptoms of inattention include not paying attention, making careless mistakes, not listening, not finishing tasks, not following directions, and being easily distracted. Symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsiveness include fidgeting, talking excessively, running around at inappropriate times, and interrupting others.

Raise your hand if you apparently had ADHD as a child.

Mesh Posted: Fri Aug 26 14:36:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *Raises both hands.*

Wait, thats not enough emphasis.

*lyes on back, raises both hands and both feet in the air*

You get the point. I didn't need medicine to make me behave, a good smack or "the look" did just fine.

FN Posted: Fri Aug 26 15:07:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ADHD is an actual condition, but I think children nowerdays are overprotected, and like mesh said, a good smack fixes most problems, children just don't get enough of them anymore and grow into annoying monsters without decent manners.

Posted: Fri Aug 26 15:27:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Zacq said:

>Symptoms of inattention include not paying attention

this made me laugh really loud, and dr. pepper came out my nose. it hurt. it still does.

Zacq Posted: Fri Aug 26 15:45:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>this made me laugh really loud, and dr. pepper came out my nose. it hurt. it still does.

My favorite part is 'running around at inappropriate times.'

If parents are going to plop their kids in front of a TV for the first three years of their life and then be suprised when they can't handle sitting still in a classroom, they're the ones that need medication.

When parents drop kids off for my mom's preschool, they're watching a DVD or playing a gameboy, and they get them right back when they leave. Gone are the days of the alphabet or license plate games.

Posted: Fri Aug 26 16:08:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was mostly just laughing at how redundant it was.

it's like saying "symptoms of bad oral hygiene include not having good oral hygiene"

Kira Posted: Fri Aug 26 16:10:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am so glad my little brother was homeschooled. He is very intelligent, wise, and the most generous person I know, but he has always been an odd duck, with his head in the clouds. He has his interests, and won't be made to pay attention to something he doesn't care about. His temper flares up when he doesn't understand something or when he has trouble making people understand him. He talks constantly and CANNOT STAND sitting down for long, even now, at nineteen. He just likes moving. He is a wonderful person endlessly weaving stories and always surprising me with the things he knows, and a public school would have destroyed him with their curriculums and medications and tiny little desks, and mean, stupid, spoiled children!

Argh...

antartica Posted: Fri Aug 26 17:43:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  so if you were a parent and you had young kids, would you rather your kid sit and stare at the corner or run about like "any other normal child"?...

i am in a relationship where my partner has a wonderful 3 anda half boy, and he runs about now and then, never finished what we set him to do, watched tv like there's no tomorrow......

but what next?

make the child into a robot and like us?

nah.... i dun think so, where else did that phrase "you didn't have a childhood" come from

children will be children

and you're onli young once... life is short... live it

Zacq Posted: Fri Aug 26 17:59:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>children will be children
>
>and you're onli young once... life is short... live it

Unplug the TV for the majority of the day.

sweet p Posted: Fri Aug 26 18:34:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  As a child? According to that description, I certainly have ADHD now.

Zacq Posted: Fri Aug 26 18:48:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
>As a child? According to that description, I certainly have ADHD now.

*goes and runs around inappropriately*

sweet p Posted: Fri Aug 26 19:27:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  !!BLARGH!!

DanSRose Posted: Fri Aug 26 23:50:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's too complex fot that.

It's a very real condition, but that definition is stupid.
The thing is a great deal of the symptoms of ADD and ADHD are exactly the same of post-traumatic stress disorder, and before you smack that down (and you know who you are) a great deal of the diagnoses are of "Hey! Your kid is unteachable! Do someting about it!" come from broken homes, one parent families, families with addiction and/or abuse, etc. etc. etc. A correlation between ADHD diagnoses and situations where PTSD could be the issue at hand is extremely poorly studied, if at all.

Zacq Posted: Sat Aug 27 00:17:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My main point of this is that an enormous amount of kids who don't pay attention simply due to poor parenting and too much time in front of rapidly changing screens are given medication because they're moronic parents want an excuse for their own failure. I know it can be a serious thing.

DaveHill Posted: Sat Aug 27 03:14:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I managed to read all these posts in one haul, so my attention span is quite good. But then again, staring at the monitor of my PC is somewhat like watching TV.
Other than that, i'd have to agree with Zacq that ADHD is such a trendy new disease to give us an excuse for (again) failing to do some basic things right.

addi Posted: Sat Aug 27 07:31:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Both sides of this issue are correct. It is very real with some children and proper diagnosis and treatment can make a child's ability to learn greatly improved. I had a few cases of this when I was teaching.
But, no doubt, it's also been misused and meds are given to some children that have other issues and don't really need it.
There are a multitude of parents out there that should have never had children. And a teachers hands are tied (in the U.S. anyway), because the legal discipline tactics they can use are very limited. If I had put a hand on one of my students to discipline him/her I could have easily been slapped with a lawsuit and fired from my position.
There are some wonderful, well behaved, respectful kids out there that make teaching so rewarding, and there are some spoiled, rude, brats out there that make teaching hell.

Mesh Posted: Sat Aug 27 08:04:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm not doubting it is a real condition for some people. Just saying its probably been overdiagnosed these last few years.

But I'm no doctor so what do I know.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]