Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Veggie
Beep Posted: Thu Sep 1 08:15:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Back from my travels (I spent a week at the edinburgh fringe festivals with some friends, awesome stuff) and i have been giving a lot of thought to religion &c.
Whilst at the fringe a random lady gave me a book about Hare Krsna. I forgot about it, then whilst going through my stuff last night i read it cover to cover. It made sense.
One of the biggest things in it for me was the idea of animals and being vegetarian. I was wondering on GTs ideas of vegetarianism and other random musings on this religion or change of religion.

Cheers.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Sep 1 08:58:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love animals, they taste really good.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being vegetarian, it's just not for me.
I am a dedicated carnivore.

FN Posted: Thu Sep 1 09:43:03 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "I'm a vegetarian, not because I like animals, but because I hate plants"

I eat very little meat myself.

As for hare krishna stuff, they're all nuts. I went to one of their temples once on a school trip when I was about 12 or something. I wanted to give them all a kick against their ass and tell them to get a job, but my teachers urged me to keep my mouth shut.

Mesh Posted: Thu Sep 1 11:57:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't think there is anything wrong with being a vegetarian. Mysefl, I do eat meat, but not a whole lot of it. And no pork.

libra Posted: Thu Sep 1 12:18:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wish I could be a vegetarian, but I'm not because of matters of my own health.

I need the protein and iron from meat that I won't really find in other foods (cause I'm really picky). I don't eat a lot of meat, and I really only eat chicken, turkey, and fish.

I wouldnt eat a balanced enough diet if i was a vegetarian.

Mark Posted: Thu Sep 1 13:44:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My gf is a vegetarian, but I aint. I like vegetables more than meat though... dunno why. Most people even call me crazy, especially since I like raw veggies ;) But I can't do with out meat though.

I don't really know much about the hare krishna. Have spoken to a follower only once (although it was quite a interesting conversation) and have only read one book about it. As far as I see it, i only need to open myself for it... and the way to enlightenment can be followed. To bad I've heard that with somany other religions as well.

Ahriman Posted: Thu Sep 1 14:36:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My gf gave up meat for Lent so I didn't eat meat either (as support). It made things difficult. Buffalo is known for the arts and the food. Thai, vietnamese, russian, chinese, french, italian, japanese, german, mexican, greek, spanish, etc. etc. etc. It seemed like every meal I wanted to eat had meat in it. Kinda drove me insane. Somebody actually called a priest while we were ordering to ask for pardons so he could have chicken shawarma. I don't eat meat if I see a better option. So when I see tofu, I eat tofu. If I see chicken, I eat chicken. As long as it keeps me alive, I'll eat it (I expect an Anthony Hopkins reply because I said that). As for the Hare Krishnas, there is nothing wrong with them in my eyes. A wee bit off, but their not Scientology or Heaven's Gate.

Dancer Posted: Fri Sep 2 00:53:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i wish i'm a vegetarian too.. it makes one healthier..
anyway..at least you'll look younger..

but i will be missing out alot on buffets..and i love sashimi tooo much.

Zacq Posted: Fri Sep 2 15:56:42 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Philly Cheese Steak

S'all I'm saying.

DanSRose Posted: Fri Sep 2 17:25:55 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dancer said:
>anyway..at least you'll look younger..

Until you start looking sallow. My sister had that problem until she started taking vitamans.

Senior year of high school I tried. It lasted a week when we went for Chinese and forgot seasame chicken indeed was meat.

kurohyou Posted: Fri Sep 2 23:49:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have a good friend who is a strict vegitarian, which sometimes makes finding places to eat in small towns an adventure.

I am not a vegitarian, though I have cut down the amount of meat that I do eat. Mostly I have been substituting fruits for sweets. Right now I have a craving for cantelopes. We have the Rocky Ford cantelopes in season right now and I love them. I bought and ate one for a snack at work the other day. ummmmm....

But I have started eating more veggies and less meat. Though I don't have a real good reason as to why. something to try I suppose.

Not that it matters...

CorDrine Posted: Sat Sep 3 00:50:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think its more important to be a good person then to be a vegetarian. I know a few vegetarians that I find are not so pure at heart. They will preach about cruelty to animals, yet stab you in the back in life. I think people who turn vegetarians because of religion sometimes do so blindly and for all the wrong reason (the most common being my religion told me so). If you are going to be a vegetarian, at least know why you are doing so.

Me, I am trying to be a vegetarian, but not too succesfully.

sweet p Posted: Sat Sep 3 15:53:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like bacon.

Jackale2s Posted: Sat Sep 3 16:35:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love animals, especially on my plate.

Beep Posted: Sun Sep 4 07:38:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  thanks for the responses. The main reason was the fact that we can live healthily and the killing of animals isn't cool in my opinion. though, yes, they do taste great :P
one thing that really struck me about the book was that it said that christans should all be veggies by religion too. the first commandment is 'thou shalt not kill' which is interesting, i had always thought of it as 'you shall not hurt any other humans' but it isn't that, if you actually follow it it includes all killing..
hmmm, i shall be pondering on this for some time i think.

andariel Posted: Sat Sep 10 00:07:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's ok that I eat meat, I eat all the gay animals.

Being vegetarian is a good thing for those who can handle it or those who just plan don't like meat. I'm not one of them. I smell stake and I'm THERE, mouth watering, you know?

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]