Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

If you have any knowledge about computers, please check this out for a sec
FN Posted: Tue Oct 11 13:52:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahoi,

To make a long story short; my good screen has been reclaimed by my brother, and now I'm stuck with an old piece of shit that is killing my eyes.

Anyway, I've been searching for a new screen and found this one as a possible candidate in my price-range for 398:

Acer AL1951As

Display Size & Type
19" thin film transitor
Resolution
1280 x 1024
Panel Technology
TN film and CrystalBrite Technology
Brightness
400 cd/m2
Color
16.7M
Pixel Pitch
0.294mm
Contrast Ratio
700:1
Response Rate
8ms
Horizontal Viewing Angle
Vertical Viewing Angle
Backlight
4 Lamps
Video Signal
Analog (D-sub) and Digital DVI-D
Video Mode Support
VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, VESA, NEC and Apple
Internal Speakers
Yes, 2X1.1W Speakers
Plug & Play
DDC 1 & DDC2B
Power Management
VESA DPMS On:50W (max.)/Off:5W (max.)
Power Input
Internal AC 100-240 V
Power Consumption
50W
Front Panel Controls
brightness, contrast, picture position, pixel clock frequency, color select and adjust, 5 lanuages reset mode,power on/off sw,power led,function +/-,adjust +/-,
Wallmount (VESA)
Supported. 100mmX100mm
Kensington Lock
Supported
Dimensions (WxHxD)
416.4 x 427.4 x 163.6 mm
Weight
Net: 5.4Kgs / Gross: 7.5 Kgs
Certifications
CE,FCC,UL,VCCI,CCC,TUV-GS, TCO99,ISO13406-2,C-tick,BSMI,WHQL

I know little to nothing about LCD screens, or monitors in general, so i was wondering if anybody could tell me if this thing is any good or not.

I did some reading about it to at least have some basic knowledge about what the above list means, and a lot of surfing to find the best price/quality thing, and the contrast ratio, response time and brightness of this screen that I ended up with as the most likely candidate seem to be excellent, but I dunnow.

So, any thoughts?

this1dude Posted: Tue Oct 11 14:00:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  wher did u get this list? its got alot of good things if u can u should buy it if u want to spend the $$.

FN Posted: Tue Oct 11 15:00:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://us.acer.com/acerpanam/page9.do?dau34.oid=10546&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=25&CountryISOCtxParam=US&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=1235942790

Mark Posted: Tue Oct 11 15:35:18 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Looks quite nice. I personally don't like internal speakers in my monitor, because imho they suck.

It's viewing angle is good, 19" is very nice ;) Response time could be a bit better. The lower the response time the better the screen is in handling fast moving images. For example: The link you provided points to a monitor who has a response time of 6ms instead of the 8ms in your list. The one you link to is better.

Overall I would be very happy if I owned it ;)

erikagm Posted: Tue Oct 11 15:59:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I didnt bother looking at the link or at the whole range of specs, but I agree with wolffie on the internal speakers thing... If it has an output for external speakers, I suggest you splurge on some nice harman-kardon ones and use them.

FN Posted: Tue Oct 11 16:13:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It seems that the response time differs in the US version opposed to the European one.

Anyway, I did some reading about it, and apparantly, below 18ms you shouldn't get any noticable "ghosting" anymore, so even with 8ms, I think it should be alright. A friend of mine has 12ms and you don't see anything wrong with that, even in the most demanding circumstances.

I don't need the internal speakers as I have a creative 5.1 speaker set-up, so it would be pretty stupid to use the internal speakers, but it could prove to be handy if I move my computer somewhere, to a friend or something for example, because now I have to fuck around with headphones, or don't have any sound at all, and taking my entire soundsystem along with me for an evening isn't practical either. It isn't an option, it just includes the speakers, so I figure, why not.

Zacq Posted: Tue Oct 11 17:10:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Besides the Kensington Lock it looks fine, though what are you using your computer for? If the most intensive thing your doing on it is watching movies I wouldn't spend more than fifty bucks (then again, I never pay for monitors).

FN Posted: Tue Oct 11 17:28:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I use my computer for just about anything you can use a computer for lol.

Goes from work for school to music to watching movies to playing games

Which is also why I'm prepared to spend some money on it, but I don't like taking it up the ass because of my lack of knowledge about the subject, which is why I'm asking everywhere if this is a good buy

FN Posted: Tue Oct 11 17:29:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What is the kensington lock thing?

antartica Posted: Wed Oct 12 00:44:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  tat's the small hold you find on the side of lap tops for that type (kinsington) of lock for security

http://www.kensington.com/html/1434.html

Silentmind Posted: Thu Oct 13 01:09:10 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It looks like a pretty good monitor. The response time is a little slow, 6 ms or lower is ideal, but 8'll do just fine. The speakers are totally pointless, so don't use them. Ports look fine, and the viewing angles are quite decent. Looks like a pretty good deal.

FN Posted: Thu Oct 13 13:25:55 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, got it, and right now it seems to be an awesome screen.

Pretty fast too it seems, just played the COD2 demo with it and you couldn't notice a thing in terms of ghosting.

*look at all those sparkly colours*

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]