Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

A bit of advice please...
libra Posted: Fri Dec 2 00:02:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Okay, I'm not sure what classes to take next semester...

So far, I've signed up for:
Anthro: Controlling Processes
Anthro: Archaeology of Sex and Gender

and I'm pretty sure about taking:
Poli Sci: Human Rights and the Politics of Identity

and then I have to choose one of these:
-Religious Studies: Islam (cause I think I should know more about it)
-Sociology of Religion
-History: Women's Lives in the 20th Century

anyone with any experience in similar classes...anyone with any idea of something i need to know more about?
let me know what you think...

Dancer Posted: Fri Dec 2 00:27:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>Okay, I'm not sure what classes to take next semester...
>
>So far, I've signed up for:
>Anthro: Controlling Processes
>Anthro: Archaeology of Sex and Gender
>
>and I'm pretty sure about taking:
>Poli Sci: Human Rights and the Politics of Identity
>
>and then I have to choose one of these:
>-Religious Studies: Islam (cause I think I should know more about it)

i think it's a good choice on studying islam as the muslim community can only grow larger. i second you on that!

jennemmer Posted: Fri Dec 2 01:34:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I find that with just about anything depends on the prof. I know that my university keeps all of the previous course evaluations on file in one of the libraries. It's not easy to find but is worth tracking down. Yours might have something similar...

Posted: Fri Dec 2 01:44:10 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Libra, listen: You go to a university that has a philosophy department featuring one of the brightest minds (in my opinion) in the world today: John Searle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Searle

Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Language, and Argumentation.

These are all things that Searle has done incredible things for.

You need to take a class from him, just to be my hero.

libra Posted: Fri Dec 2 01:54:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Libra, listen: You go to a university that has a philosophy department featuring one of the brightest minds (in my opinion) in the world today: John Searle
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Searle
>
>Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Language, and Argumentation.
>
>These are all things that Searle has done incredible things for.
>
>You need to take a class from him, just to be my hero.

I don't think i could take philosophy because my anthropology stuff would make me fail philosophy...i think i'd approach it from the wrong mindset.

and he's not teaching any cool classes anyway:

http://sis.berkeley.edu/OSOC/osoc?p_term=SP&x=0&y=0&p_classif=--+Choose+a+Course+Classification+--&p_deptname=--+Choose+a+Department+Name+--&p_dept=&p_course=&p_title=&p_instr=Searle&p_exam=&p_ccn=&p_day=&p_hour=&p_bldg=&p_units=&p_restr=&p_info=&p_updt=

FN Posted: Fri Dec 2 03:43:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>and then I have to choose one of these:
>-Religious Studies: Islam (cause I think I should know more about it)

*shakes head*

beetlebum Posted: Fri Dec 2 07:09:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd go with Sociology of Religion. That said, I always go for the class that looks like I'd be able to teach myself the least. (Does that make sense?)

You can easily pick up a book on Islam that's easy to understand, and there's been so much written on Women in the 20th c. that you could easily find a few books on that, too. Sociology of Religion, however, is probably a bit more involved, with a wider range of topics. :D

(That, or do eenie meenie miney mo (sp), which works just as well.)

FN Posted: Fri Dec 2 09:08:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Why is one of the options you have to choose islam btw

DanSRose Posted: Fri Dec 2 10:21:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Because it's useful and important in this world.
This one: Religious Studies: Islam
Try taking an Arabic language class

FN Posted: Fri Dec 2 10:26:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Are you kidding me

DanSRose Posted: Fri Dec 2 12:14:03 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Apparently not.

What do you suggest?

libra Posted: Fri Dec 2 13:36:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Why is one of the options you have to choose islam btw

its not one that i have to take...but as an anthro major, the anthropology world seems to be turning its focus on the islamic world right now...i think it would be useful to future classes for me to have background in the religion...

addi Posted: Fri Dec 2 14:38:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Religions are one of the primary factors behind cultural conflicts across the globe today (and in history).
A better understanding of the history, tenets, and present day manifestations of each of them would be a beneficial thing for every person on this earth to learn.

I can't comphrehend why it's even a question as to the benefits of gaining more knowledge on such a pertinant global subject.

Sheesh
again I say sheesh

FN Posted: Fri Dec 2 14:43:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah well, do whatever your heart desires.

Mesh Posted: Fri Dec 2 14:52:46 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If it were me I'd do philosophy. But if you think that wouldn't fit in with the other stuff you're studying I'd say I agree with beetlebum and go with Sociology of religion.

libra Posted: Fri Dec 2 15:13:24 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, sociology of religion was full (stupid gazillion soc majors)

and after thinking about my schedule as far as time goes...i signed up for a class i just recently found: Peace and Conflict Studies: War, Culture, and Society (how wars affect culture and society) and then the only other thing that really fit was the Women in the 20th century, which i'm viewing as sort of my "easy" class (i tend to need one of those). The concepts and everything shouldnt be that hard, and although there are six books for the class, they shouldn't be to bad to read, being memoir-ish types.

Ooo, I get to read Brave New World and 1984 (already read that one) for Controlling Processes. And one of my classes only has 3 books!!

I think all of the reading has really affected my eyesight. hmm, i need glasses.

Posted: Fri Dec 2 15:22:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

>Ooo, I get to read Brave New World

A gram of Soma a day :)

FN Posted: Fri Dec 2 15:36:10 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think you made a good choice.

Mesh Posted: Fri Dec 2 16:06:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>i signed up for a class i just recently found: Peace and Conflict Studies: War, Culture, and Society (how wars affect culture and society)

That sound pretty good.

mywaymary Posted: Sat Dec 3 02:39:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you are lucky la....i cant find any course like any one you mentioned above in china. I want to take them all though. :-)

addi Posted: Sat Dec 3 07:52:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Welcome to the forum, mywaymary.

China, huh. Cool.

Just as long as you're not from Dingapore. We don't care for them and their lax morals and bubble gum chewing ways!

: )

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Dec 3 10:20:07 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Welcome to the forum, mywaymary.
>
>China, huh. Cool.
>
> Just as long as you're not from Dingapore. We don't care for them and their lax morals and bubble gum chewing ways!
>
>: )
Speaking of Singapore, I would be intersted in hearing what some of the locals thought about the hanging execution of that 25yr old vietnamese guy for heroin trafficking.

The media here made it seem as if he was a really good kid that only made one mistake and paid for it with his life.
They also said it could hurt relations with Australia because that's where he was from.
I felt bad for him and his family but also kept in the back of my mind that we probably didn't get most of the story here.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]