Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

So, Christmas is 12 days away....
Mesh Posted: Tue Dec 13 02:41:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And it doesn't feel like it. Discuss.

Mesh Posted: Tue Dec 13 02:49:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
> Discuss.

Yeah, I agree. Christmas kind of seems like any other day, except you don't have to work. I haven't had that "magical" christmas feeling that you get in December since I was 11.

Mesh Posted: Tue Dec 13 02:50:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>
>Yeah, I agree. Christmas kind of seems like any other day, except you don't have to work. I haven't had that "magical" christmas feeling that you get in December since I was 11.

Can it, Ebenezer.

Dancer Posted: Tue Dec 13 03:13:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  haha i feel like i'm intruding an all mesh conference..

anyway i'm happy!!!! can't wait to get outta singapore..can't wait!

addi Posted: Tue Dec 13 07:35:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:

>I haven't had that "magical" christmas feeling that you get in December since I was 11.

: (
I hope you get a little of that feeling back again sometime.

I still get it, but not like I used to when I was young. The days leading up to christmas are always more "magical" to me than christmas day itself.

Last night I had all the house lights off and just sat and looked at my beautiful christmas tree and admired all the different ornaments I've collected over the years hanging from it. The wonderful smell of evergreen coming from the tree transports me back to all the positive happy childhood memories I have of family christmas's past.

addi Posted: Tue Dec 13 07:38:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ps...i added lights to Ludwig's pic to make it feel more christmasie

: )

Mesh Posted: Tue Dec 13 07:40:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah, I'm thinking about trying to find some copies of Christmas-y books I used to like reading around this time of year.

jennemmer Posted: Tue Dec 13 09:46:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I know what you mean. I was feeling a bit of that as a teenager but it really fizzled once my parents separated and Christmas became an exercise in figuring how to get where when. Thanks to my sister I'm actually doing "christmas" this weekend and am at loose ends on the 25th.

Some tricks I've found that work:

Go hang out in Christmassy places. One of my personal favorite Christmassy moments is belting out carols at full volume. This has become a lot more challanging then before as I used to be in a choir. I'll go and sit through the Carols and Lessons service at church (even though the content hasn't changed in years) just to sing "O come all ye faithful" in latin just 'cause the words are in the book while everyone else sings in english.

Buy a small gift for all of your friends (wrap a few of them several times) and use that space between morning presents and christmas dinner that I find almost everyone seems to have and drive all over the city to drop them off.

Kira Posted: Tue Dec 13 11:29:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christmas seems like any other day, except I get time and a half at work.

What a stupid law.

Ahriman Posted: Tue Dec 13 11:34:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love Christmas and despise it. Birthdays should never fall on holidays. It's sick and twisted.
To me the magic of Christmas is lost in the rush to buy gifts and attend parties. Everyday at culinary, we listen to Xmas music. The same songs over and over. They do the same thing for hostage situations.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 13 11:49:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Christmas seems like any other day, except I get time and a half at work.
>
>What a stupid law.
>
So give the money back then . . .
:-)

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 13 11:50:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I never really get that "feeling" until a day or two before Christmas.

addi Posted: Tue Dec 13 11:58:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:

>Everyday at culinary, we listen to Xmas music. The same songs over and over. They do the same thing for hostage situations.

(Piped in loudspeaker music)
"...Grandma got run over by a reindeer
Walking home from our house Christmas eve.
You can say there's no such thing as Santa,
But as for me and Grandpa, we believe.
She'd been drinkin' too much egg nog,
And we'd begged her not to go.
But she'd left her medication,
So she stumbled out the door into the snow..."

Interrogator: Tonight you have to attend another holiday party and eat rum fruitcake!

Hostage: "No, NOOOOOOOOO!!! I'll talk! I'll TALK!! No more Grandma got run over..no more fruitcakes...I beg you.."

Cherry_Moon Posted: Tue Dec 13 12:50:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Interrogator: Tonight you have to attend another holiday party and eat rum fruitcake!
>
>Hostage: "No, NOOOOOOOOO!!! I'll talk! I'll TALK!! No more Grandma got run over..no more fruitcakes...I beg you.."

i like fruitcake *blush* ... i like buttered rum and hot totties and spiked eggnog... eh

i hate christmas. it's a pagan holiday. christians stole it. it's suppose to be closer to the spring as a celebration of the new year and the budding of plants and the alike. then there is the ritual to do with human fruition and the blessing of the godess and the horned one. . . . umm yeah.... *blushes and runs away*

libra Posted: Tue Dec 13 13:07:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't feel like it either. I'm going to be here in Berkeley until sunday and there's nothing christmassy in my apartment right now. When I go home I'll get almost a week to feel like christmas. We're going to go to San Francisco and walk around Union Square (ice skaters, kittens in the Neiman Marcus windows, wreaths in all the windows of the Macy's building.)

addi Posted: Tue Dec 13 13:27:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>kittens in the Neiman Marcus windows,

Alive ones i hope

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 13 14:10:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  LockShockBarrel said:

>i hate christmas. it's a pagan holiday. christians stole it. it's suppose to be closer to the spring as a celebration of the new year and the budding of plants and the alike. then there is the ritual to do with human fruition and the blessing of the godess and the horned one. . . . umm yeah.... *blushes and runs away*
>
Actually Christmas is a Christian holiday.
Solstice is the Pagan holiday.
I don't know how the Christians arrived at the date of Christ's birthday, but I do know that when they were dominating Europe and exporting Christianity to the pagans, that they incorporated quite a lot of pagan tradition in order to make it more palatable for them to be assimilated.
In the springtime the christians have Easter and the pagans have Beltane.

I don't really care if it's pagan or christian, it's still good sentiment, good intentions, and usually ends up a good time being had by all.

Posted: Tue Dec 13 15:10:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have so many things to buy all of the sudden.

I broke my no-girlfriend-during-christmas-or-valentines rule this year. Now I have to spend $$$ :(

addi Posted: Tue Dec 13 16:11:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:

>I broke my no-girlfriend-during-christmas-or-valentines rule this year. Now I have to spend $$$ :(

Look on the bright side, Crim. She's just a temporary "holiday girlfriend". For the long term girlfriends you need to spend major $$$'s, but for her it's perfectly acceptable to get her a fish fillet sandwich and large fries and you're home free.

You can gift wrap it if you want to.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 13 16:13:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>>Look on the bright side, Crim. She's just a temporary "holiday girlfriend". For the long term girlfriends you need to spend major $$$'s, but for her it's perfectly acceptable to get her a fish fillet sandwich and large fries and you're home free.
>
>You can gift wrap it if you want to.
>
Yeah, just make sure it goes under her tree and not yours.

choke Posted: Tue Dec 13 17:08:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>addi said:
>>>Look on the bright side, Crim. She's just a temporary "holiday girlfriend". For the long term girlfriends you need to spend major $$$'s, but for her it's perfectly acceptable to get her a fish fillet sandwich and large fries and you're home free.
>>
>>You can gift wrap it if you want to.
>>
>Yeah, just make sure it goes under her tree and not yours.

I got a gift wrapped half a cheese burger from one of my friends at my going away party, and a spanner from another.

choke Posted: Tue Dec 13 17:12:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I never feel christmassy until the 22nd, when my birthday is out of the way :P

But this year, I don't feel like either of them. I just want to ignore them both. It's going to be so depressing on my birthday, I'm just going to watch t.v because I don't have the heart to do anything else.

addi Posted: Tue Dec 13 17:41:23 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:

>It's going to be so depressing on my birthday, I'm just going to watch t.v because I don't have the heart to do anything else.

These days I don't get real happy on my birthday either, tiff. I know for you it's cuz you're so far from home.
I'll email you my phone number so you can call me on my birthday to cheer me up. Then I'll call you on yours and do the same. We can discuss fun things...like fashion, and food, and secret crushes, and diets, and that stuck up know you who plinker (she's SUCH a bitch!), and then if there's still time you can tell me what in the hell "spanner" is.

beetlebum Posted: Tue Dec 13 19:30:23 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>I never feel christmassy until the 22nd, when my birthday is out of the way :P
>
>But this year, I don't feel like either of them. I just want to ignore them both. It's going to be so depressing on my birthday, I'm just going to watch t.v because I don't have the heart to do anything else.

blimey! that's terrible! i hope it's good even if you're homesick. just enjoy the holiday. if i told you about my christmas in france, you would either (a) weep for me or (b) laugh at how ridiculously pathetic it was.

just remember, no matter crap yours is, mine was worse. :D

choke Posted: Tue Dec 13 20:17:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
and then if there's still time you can tell me what in the hell "spanner" is.
>
>: )
>

I can tell you that now..

And I can also ask what the hell the american word for it is? Because everytime I mention it people are like uuHhh? And I can never explain it.

Okay. It's like a big long peice of metal, and it has an open curvy part at the end, and it has stright sides so when you put it over a nut or a bolt in metal work and turn it, it makes it turn. Kinda looks like this -----[

beetlebum Posted: Tue Dec 13 20:18:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>addi said:
> and then if there's still time you can tell me what in the hell "spanner" is.
>>
>>: )
>>
>
>I can tell you that now..
>
>And I can also ask what the hell the american word for it is? Because everytime I mention it people are like uuHhh? And I can never explain it.
>
>Okay. It's like a big long peice of metal, and it has an open curvy part at the end, and it has stright sides so when you put it over a nut or a bolt in metal work and turn it, it makes it turn. Kinda looks like this -----[

wrench?

choke Posted: Tue Dec 13 20:25:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>
>wrench?

Never heard of it. Must be about right :D

Well the one my friend gave me was like as long as my arm from hand to shoulder and about 5kg :P

I can't complain, he did say if I didn't tell him what I wanted he would get me a tool...

And it came in handy for gatecrashers :P

Kira Posted: Tue Dec 13 21:18:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.springmasters.com/sp/images/pressed-steel-spanner-b.jpg

Definitely a wrench.

Dancer Posted: Tue Dec 13 22:29:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>http://www.springmasters.com/sp/images/pressed-steel-spanner-b.jpg
>
>Definitely a wrench.

we call it a spanner here.. comes in all sizes, i used to have a range from small to huge for modifying my bicycle when i was younger

Mesh Posted: Tue Dec 13 22:30:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The proper name is doohickey. Everyone knows that.

Howitzer Posted: Wed Dec 14 02:33:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i have to say that x-mas has not really hit me till the day off since i was 8 or so...it may have been for several reasons: either because i did not believe in the chistian holiday, or cause i hated my family and wanted to run away since 5th grade but always knew it was a dumb idea. well, whatever it was i still feel like it is nothing to me untill two days before. then i REALLY feel like being home....all my life wanting to get away and doing so for more than 350 days a year...but those two days i have to be home. I realized I love my parents and this is the one time of year i know they realize they love me. God (whatevet/whoever/huh?) knows what is goin on there. Merry Christmas to all!!! and to all a good night!!!

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 14 04:40:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Merry Christmas to you too Howitzer!

addi Posted: Wed Dec 14 07:26:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Howitzer said:
>I realized I love my parents and this is the one time of year i know they realize they love me.

As Linus might say.."This is what Christmas is all about."

beetlebum Posted: Wed Dec 14 10:09:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Howitzer said:
>>I realized I love my parents and this is the one time of year i know they realize they love me.
>
>: )
>
>As Linus might say.."This is what Christmas is all about."

Aw. What Christmas "special" do people prefer?

I'm torn between Charlie Brown's Christmas (whatever it's called) and the one with Rudolph and the elf who wants to be a dentist.

Mesh Posted: Thu Dec 15 18:11:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know. I guess maybe if Ghostbusters had an annual Christmas special I'd like that.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]