Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

xmas, again.
choke Posted: Tue Dec 13 17:19:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey. I have a problem.

My host family, is very rich.

They do not understand, that I am not.

I don't know what to do about christmas.

If I make something, I face the question of what to make.

What can I make that won't take ages? But won't look tacky? There's like 8 people in the family and they'll all be expecting something each.

addi Posted: Tue Dec 13 17:56:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If you're artsy at all you can pick up some of that clay that dries real hard overnight (I forgot the name). Make it into something, let it dry, then paint it and add a string so it can hang as an ornament. I've made a lighthouse and a barn and bright tiny mushrooms and other things. Plus it's not expensive.

You can also roll it thin and then make a circle out of it (about 2" wide), then paint it and they make nifty napkin holders for special occasion dinners. I did ones gold and black with oak leaves on them.

*Just read this over. I sound like Martha Stewart : (

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 13 17:59:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd be willing to bet that they actually do understand your financial situation.
It's very tacky to EXPECT a gift from someone as well.
But you can always give each of them a card with a gift certificate for a personal service of some sort like baby sitting or a car wash or anything like that.

libra Posted: Tue Dec 13 18:11:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>
>
>*Just read this over. I sound like Martha Stewart : (

haha, you TOTALLY did.

I like your ideas though, they're creative.

I dunno what else...one time a friend of mine made me a bunch of cookies for christmas, and it was like, the best christmas present because they were sooo good.
I've been doing the knitting people scarves things, but that does take a while...
And I doubt they expect big presents, none of the exchange students i knew went really big with presents, and their families understood.

beetlebum Posted: Tue Dec 13 18:47:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am such a nerd when it comes to homemade Christmas stuff, but work with me! What ages and genders? Big grin.

You can do so much crafty stuff with very little money. Unique ornaments are an awesome idea (go Addi)... all you have to do is find/make something small and attach some ribbon.

For my host parents I took a pictures of me with the family and put it in a cheap frame which I decoupaged. All that means is you buy decoupage glue and a brush, cut some shizzle out of magazines, and decoupage it on the frame. Easy peasy and wicked cheap. You can basically do that for everyone unless they're little.

This Christmas I've already gotten a box a friend made for me (she bought the box and then just glittered it with a photo of a memory we shared), and a (close) friend in England made me "Meg's Book of the Happiest Stuff in the Whole Wide World" which sounds ridiculous but it was so hilarious (and plus, I had been homesick) that I laughed until I cried. Plus, it shocked me how well she knew me, which was impressive.

Also, you can blow up a cool photo and just frame it in a glass frame, or make earrings if there are girls to buy for, or attach floral flowers to pens with floral tape (if there are little girls around). Guys are much harder, so it depends on the age of the guy and what he likes. Even then, you could just buy a DVD for them to share?

For your host parents if you don't want to buy anything, a letter of gratitude is always appreciated, especially if it comes from the heart.

Gonna shut up now.

PS: If you don't understand my ideas, I am such a nerd that I actually took a photo. I love homemade stuff. Those are the best gifts.

FN Posted: Tue Dec 13 18:56:03 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Don't listen to beeltebum here, her presents stink in an "is it fish or something else?" kind of way.

Seriously though, I dislike stuff people made themselves, because it gets some weird emotional value for a reason beyond me so nobody throws it away even though it's a cheap eyesore and they're all secretly ashamed of the atrocity staring at them from a hidden corner on the mantle above the fireplace.

Also, giving somebody something you made yourself without anything else is like saying "I like you as long as it doesn't cost me more than a drink from a vending machine"

beetlebum Posted: Tue Dec 13 19:03:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Don't listen to beeltebum here, her presents stink in an "is it fish or something else?" kind of way.
>
>
>
>
>
>Seriously though, I dislike stuff people made themselves, because it gets some weird emotional value for a reason beyond me so nobody throws it away even though it's a cheap eyesore and they're all secretly ashamed of the atrocity staring at them from a hidden corner on the mantle above the fireplace.
>
>
>
>
>Also, giving somebody something you made yourself without anything else is like saying "I like you as long as it doesn't cost me more than a drink from a vending machine"

i really hate it when you know someone is insulting you, but you still find it funny anyway. damn.

don't listen to him. he's belgian. you know how they are.

you see his christmas photo thing. that ain't right. ; )

beetlebum Posted: Tue Dec 13 19:06:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sorry. I was just made aware that the photo Christophe has posted has nothing to do with Christmas. It is instead St. Nicholas and his black slaves. Hmph.

It still ain't right. Big grin.

FN Posted: Tue Dec 13 19:10:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>Sorry. I was just made aware that the photo Christophe has posted has nothing to do with Christmas. It is instead St. Nicholas and his black slaves. Hmph.

Hey, I have nothing against black people.

Everybody should have one.

Kira Posted: Tue Dec 13 19:28:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Instead of getting something cool, as in mainstream, as in pricey, you could get them something interesting or unusual. I always love those gifts that are unique and such a surprise, like you never knew you wanted one. Examples might be a kaleidoscope or windcatcher or bobble-head or a book about an unusual subject. This is stuff that people normally don't think about, unlike CDs and DVDs, but if it turns up under their noses they still think it's pretty nifty.

I also like Libra's idea of giving sweets. I myself got my family a tin of what I consider to be the best hard candies on Earth.

addi Posted: Tue Dec 13 19:28:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:

>don't listen to him. he's belgian. you know how they are.

lol!
didn't slip past me

choke Posted: Tue Dec 13 20:22:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>I am such a nerd when it comes to homemade Christmas stuff, but work with me! What ages and genders? Big grin.
>
>
There's a mum, a dad, a 21yrold, a 19(?)yrold, a 17yrold, (all boys) a 16yrold girl, another boy (14yrs) and a 10yrold girl.

Thanks for all the ideas, and Christophe just made me super nervous because I KNOW that's what they'll be like.

Posted: Tue Dec 13 21:20:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You should get them a potato.

(from bash.org)

IronChef Foicite: well, there's a lot of reasons
IronChef Foicite: i mean, roses only last like a couple weeks
IronChef Foicite: and that's if you leave them in water
IronChef Foicite: and they really only exist to be pretty
IronChef Foicite: so that's like saying
IronChef Foicite: "my love for you is transitory and based solely on your appearance"
IronChef Foicite: but a potato!
IronChef Foicite: potatos last for fucking ever, man
IronChef Foicite: in fact, not only will they not rot, they actually grow shit even if you just leave them in the sack
IronChef Foicite: that part alone makes it a good symbol
IronChef Foicite: but there's more!
IronChef Foicite: there are so many ways to enjoy a potato! you can even make a battery with it!
IronChef Foicite: and that's like saying "i have many ways in which I show my love for you"
IronChef Foicite: and potatos may be ugly, but they're still awesome
IronChef Foicite: so that's like saying "it doesn't matter at all what you look like, I'll still love you"

DanSRose Posted: Wed Dec 14 00:43:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  A towel. You should never leave home without a towel.

But seriously, unless you really know them, I'm going with Christophe on this. Unless you have the candy in it.
Get something small, like an ornament or a book. Books or something along that line equals the personal touch.

iggy Posted: Wed Dec 14 05:01:24 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i hate christmas.

bah humbug

marsi Posted: Wed Dec 14 11:54:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Here you can find a lot of ideas for home-made presents.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/

You can buy some special paper on which you print a picture and then iron this picture on a t-shirt. If you have computer and printer, you can do this yourself.
Otherwise I think you can find a photocopy shop that will copy your picture on a t-shirt.
I did this once with a friend. We made a collage of pictures and under each picture we wrote a wish.

Kira Posted: Wed Dec 14 12:21:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ohh! Make them oregami! You could find instructions online and use Christmassy wrapping paper to fold.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]