Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Poll: Tears for Films
Ed Posted: Wed Dec 28 03:30:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Explain!

I dont know about you guys, but movies don't have such an extreme effect on me that I might feel anywhere near sad enough to cry.

FN Posted: Wed Dec 28 05:57:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Same here

Kira Posted: Wed Dec 28 06:42:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I mostly cry over movies that make me happy.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 28 08:03:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I guess you must be some really macho type guys eh ?

FN Posted: Wed Dec 28 08:49:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  No not really.

I just have to come across a movie where I have to cry.

There are a few that made my eyes tingle (like the split second you trust ET not to go after your guts or launch an alien invasion), but that's about it.

Which movies had you covered in tears and mucus, hif?

FN Posted: Wed Dec 28 09:06:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ah yeah, there was one time there were a few tears.

But it was a documentary, not a movie.

It was about kids living in the sewers of moskou.

Among them was this kid of about 8 years old or something, and he had heard about some place where they were giving away some food and some clothes.

So he goes over there hiding from the cops who rape and beat these kids and gets a bun about the size of his tiny hands and eats it in small bites like it is some heavenly dish, and you can just read the hunger and misery in his eyes.

He finds some worn out pants that they are willing to give him, so he takes another bite of the bread (which was about a fifth eaten or something) and puts it on the ground next to him like it is his most treasured possession and he was looking forward to filling his belly with it, and starts to put on the pants while sitting on the ground.

And then a group of other, older kids run up to him, kick him, and run off with his piece of bread while laughing, and the little guy just totally breaks down crying for his mother he never knew.

The sight of that kid sitting on some dirty pavement all alone with some torn and worn out clothes that was so happy about getting a piece of bread the size of a lemon and a pair of pants that you wouldn't use to wipe your shoes clean...

That alone was horrible, and then some fuckers twice his size kick him and steal his bread and he just lies there, dirty, crying, broken, alone, forgotten...

All he had going for him was that piece of bread, and they kicked him and stole it.

Thinking about it has me tearing up.

So after the crying fades, puts on his pants, and walks off still crying...

It is the saddest thing I have ever seen.

So no, after having seen stuff like that, it is hard for me to cry over some romantic comedy.

Ed Posted: Wed Dec 28 09:28:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I guess you must be some really macho type guys eh ?

HA

Hearts in Atlantis can make me depressed. Garden State can put me in a good mood. LotR can easily annoy the crap outta me. High Fidelity can cheer me up. Random action movies can make me feel energetic.

Just as I said, the effect isn't extreme enough for tears.

I have a vague memory of getting choked up while watching a movie (probably within the last five years), but I don't know what or exactly when it was.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 28 09:43:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>No not really.
>
>I just have to come across a movie where I have to cry.
>
>There are a few that made my eyes tingle (like the split second you trust ET not to go after your guts or launch an alien invasion), but that's about it.
>
>Which movies had you covered in tears and mucus, hif?
>
The one that comes to mind is Life as a House, I shed some tears during that one. Mostly tears though, not a lot of mucous.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 28 10:59:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Christophe said:
>>No not really.
>>
>>I just have to come across a movie where I have to cry.
>>
>>There are a few that made my eyes tingle (like the split second you trust ET not to go after your guts or launch an alien invasion), but that's about it.
>>
>>Which movies had you covered in tears and mucus, hif?
>
The Notebook was a tearjerker as well.
>The one that comes to mind is Life as a House, I shed some tears during that one. Mostly tears though, not a lot of mucous.

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 28 11:16:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Stuff about a documentary.

Ugh, that is sad.

Let's see, the movie The War At Home(1996) with Emilio Estevez was pretty god damned sad.

I think I probably got a little sad during Simon Birch.

And some war movie, I can't even remember what it was called. A WW2 movie, about the Sovjet Army closing in on Berlin, and the citizens of Germany realizing all they had believed and fought for was shattered and they had been lead to defeat at the hands of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei , and their homeland was about to be overtaken by several different nations armies.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 28 11:57:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have at some movies. Not the wailing balling kind of crying, but the tears welling up and can't fight them back kind of crying. I try to hide it too..which is stupid, but I guess I'm a victum of the boys don't cry generation, so I feel ashamed for letting it get to me.
I think the last movie I cried at was Eurotrip when the guy was singing "Scotty Doesn't Know", and of course Scotty DID know.

ps good to be back to GT. Bad to be going back to work again tomorrow. That brings tears to my eyes : (

libra Posted: Wed Dec 28 13:54:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The first movie i cried at was ET when I was about three years old. I LOVED ET, and I even made up my own imaginary ET friend who sat and watched the movie with me...but he left when Elliot's ET left and i cried.

The most recent movie I've really cried at was The Constant Gardener. Usually I just get teary eyed or a little sniffly. This time I just started bawling in the theater at the end. There weren't too many people in the theater so I bet everyone could hear me.

I always get teary-eyed in movies...especially if its a certain time of the month...

DanSRose Posted: Wed Dec 28 14:06:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The last scene of Garden State. Also how Caberet ended (the play), and in RENT when Angel died.

libra Posted: Wed Dec 28 14:51:14 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>The last scene of Garden State.

oh, yah i think i cried then...when they're on the stairs in the airport and then when she's in the phonebooth...oh sadness...but then there's froufrou and kissing and happiness...aww, i love that movie...

FN Posted: Wed Dec 28 15:39:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I always get teary-eyed in movies...especially if its a certain time of the month...

When the pay check gets in?

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 28 16:34:07 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I cried during Into the Blue because of the time and money I wasted watching it.

Just kidding. I'd never watch that movie.

Posted: Wed Dec 28 17:06:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I even made up my own imaginary ET friend who sat and watched the movie with me...but he left when Elliot's ET left and i cried.

holy crap
saddest thing ever :( :( :(

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 28 17:42:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh, I'm pretty sure I got sad in Land Before Time when the mom dies.

Theres lots more, I just can't seem to think of any.

novemberrain Posted: Wed Dec 28 17:54:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I remember watching ET with my brother and a friend and her brother (way back when). She and I were practically bawling our eyes out and the boys were laughing hysterically.

Good call, mesh. When littlefoot's mom died that was very sad.

Oddly enough, there are some tv shows that make me misty eyed.

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 28 18:06:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh, and not a movie, but something that made me sad, the girl who played Ducky was killed by her dad before the movie was out in theatres. I didn't find that out until like 8 years after the fact, though. Still sad.

Ed Posted: Wed Dec 28 18:39:36 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Oh, I'm pretty sure I got sad in Land Before Time when the mom dies.

Well, ya see, that's what dinosaurs do; they die.

IMDB shows a LBT series for 2007

This thread has made me laugh more than it should have.

"It was nothing like that, penis-breath!"

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 28 18:57:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  They really should have not made any more of those movies.

And that penis breath line had me ROFLING the first.......everytime I watch that movie. Such a great line for a great movie about an ugly little alien.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 28 19:04:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  just got back from Memoires of a Geisha.

One point near the end almost had me doing the rubbing my eyes cuz there's something in it move.

*good movie BTW. No samurai, no bloody wars, but the acting and scenery and cultural aspect of japanese traditions changing was excellant.

Kira Posted: Wed Dec 28 19:48:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>A sad story about a sewer boy.

Things like that almost invariably make me more angry than sad, because I can never stop thinking about the fact that there are people there with money and cameras and tennis shoes and donuts, JUST WATCHING.

meshuggah said:
>Oh, and not a movie, but something that made me sad, the girl who played Ducky was killed by her dad before the movie was out in theatres.

That completely stunned me. That is so incredibly sad. :(

I remember crying at the end of Schindler's List, when the war was over and Schindler was running away. That was a sad scene.

FN Posted: Thu Dec 29 05:50:43 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Things like that almost invariably make me more angry than sad, because I can never stop thinking about the fact that there are people there with money and cameras and tennis shoes and donuts, JUST WATCHING.

What are you doing to help those kids?

I think in the long run they're better off becomming known to the world than a camera man trying to help 1 kid.

Also, how would you justify the guy helping that kid and not others.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Dec 29 10:42:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Also, how would you justify the guy helping that kid and not others.
>
Because it's better to help one than none.

FN Posted: Thu Dec 29 11:09:43 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  That wasn't the question

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Dec 29 11:14:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yes it was.

addi Posted: Thu Dec 29 11:52:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  to be, or not to be?

that was the question

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Dec 29 11:56:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I cried a little bit when I watched Romancing the Bone.

FN Posted: Thu Dec 29 13:22:55 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It wasn't.

How do you justify helping one child, but not another.

That's not asking why you help or not.

Kira Posted: Thu Dec 29 13:38:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The question is daft. Are you suggesting one must either help ALL or NONE?

Christophe said:
>I think in the long run they're better off becomming known to the world than a camera man trying to help 1 kid.

I agree with you on this. But I couldn't do it myself, just stand there and film it. Journalists are strange creatures.

FN Posted: Thu Dec 29 14:01:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>The question is daft. Are you suggesting one must either help ALL or NONE?

Perhaps I am, perhaps I am not. I wasn't suggesting, I was asking.

I don't know what daft means though.

>Christophe said:
>>I think in the long run they're better off becomming known to the world than a camera man trying to help 1 kid.
>
>I agree with you on this. But I couldn't do it myself, just stand there and film it. Journalists are strange creatures.

have you ever held a camera? It totally takes away the reality part of it.

DanSRose Posted: Sat Dec 31 02:12:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Parts of Tipping the Velvet was cry-worthy.

DanSRose Posted: Sat Dec 31 02:19:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This predicament reminds of Kevin Carter. Now that's both a picture and a story that makes me cry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter
I got into a huge argument with sister over whether or not he did the right thing taking the picture and showing the horrors of what was happening in Sudan or not and helping the dying girl with the vulture behind her.
My argument is the same as Christophe's: you can do more good thinking about the Big Picture then by trying to clean up the details. Also, vultures know when someone's time is up; it's their job as vultures.
In the end, after the Pulitzer, he received so much hate and flak that he killed himself over the guilt.

Goddam that's a good photo

Ed Posted: Sat Dec 31 02:56:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like how wiki has a category titled "writers who comitted suicide."

kurohyou Posted: Sat Dec 31 12:14:23 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't remember the last movie I cried at. I know that there have been a number of movies which have made me sad, or depressed me for a few days afterwards. But I don't recall the last one I cried at.

I do remember in high school be in scolded by my history teacher because I didn't cry at the end of Schlinder's List when everyone else was. Its a horribly sad movie, but I just didn't cry. Perhaps I'm in the same "boy's don't cry" boat Addi's in, who knows.

For what it's worth...

Ed Posted: Sat Dec 31 12:42:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Whenever someone mentions Schindler's List, the first thing that comes to mind is that episode of Seinfeld where Newman catches Jerry making out in the theater.

mat_j Posted: Wed Jan 4 20:27:02 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>I got into a huge argument with sister over whether or not he did the right thing taking the picture and showing the horrors of what was happening in Sudan or not and helping the dying girl with the vulture behind her.
>My argument is the same as Christophe's: you can do more good thinking about the Big Picture then by trying to clean up the details. Also, vultures know when someone's time is up; it's their job as vultures.
>In the end, after the Pulitzer, he received so much hate and flak that he killed himself over the guilt.
>
>Goddam that's a good photo

I haad a pile of shit in my first year of uni when i used this picture in a class discussion about powerful images lots of people didn't know how to deal with it and started making fun and/or complaining, that annoyed me.

As for crying in movies, as was said earlier, documentaries are the real killers. There's one called something like Seven days in April about an alleged killer on death row that upset me. It covers the last week of his life and even the guards are saying he's innocent.

There's a british doc about a guy who has this disease which stops his body form regulating skin growth and repair and it covers his last days. He's got a really high and childish kind of voice due to the disease, and the film opens with his dead body in a wheelchair with him narrating over the top about what we we're looking at. It was obviously recorded before he died but it's so fucking powerful it knocked me for six.

I'll find the titles for both later, I give them two Mat_j thumbs up on the recomendometer.

Mesh Posted: Wed Jan 4 20:35:52 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>
>There's a british doc about a guy who has this disease which stops his body form regulating skin growth and repair and it covers his last days. He's got a really high and childish kind of voice due to the disease, and the film opens with his dead body in a wheelchair with him narrating over the top about what we we're looking at. It was obviously recorded before he died but it's so fucking powerful it knocked me for six.
>

Aye, The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off. I saw that one a couple of weeks ago, very god damned sad it made me. He had a great sense of humour though, considering his circumstances. Or in spite of them.

mat_j Posted: Thu Jan 5 07:42:24 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah, damn good film, cheers for that Meshie i was about to IMDB it.

choke Posted: Fri Jan 6 21:42:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I sobbed like a child in Once Were Warriors. From beginning to end.

Ed Posted: Sat Jan 7 22:53:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Welcome back, Mara. Staying long?

-Puck

Mouse Posted: Sun Jan 8 01:44:36 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ed said:
>-Puck

He stoled my thing, kinda. :P

Ed Posted: Sun Jan 8 02:01:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mouse said:
>Ed said:
>>-Puck
>
>He stoled my thing, kinda. :P

lol. I just assumed that she missed the name-change , so I had to make note of it. :p yourself!

...not that it matters

I'm such a hack.

SntSaturn Posted: Sun Jan 8 10:58:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've had my handful of films. The first time I watched Good Will Hunting I cried when Ben A's character is telling Matt Damon that every morning he hopes that Matt won't be there in the morning. Also, Dead Poets Society when everyone stands up on the desk at the end. I love those movies. *sniff*

Mesh Posted: Wed Jan 11 09:25:25 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Last night watching Terminator brought tears to my eyes. It's just so good.

Go get 'em, Termy.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]