Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

London
SntSaturn Posted: Thu Jan 5 21:16:57 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, mates, I made it back from across the big blue successfully. I had a wonderful in London and the surrounding area. Another time I'll go in depth about where I went.
I couldn't believe the experience. It was completely exhausting, but I didn't dare sleep. As corny as this sounds, the cobblestone streets and old architecture make it seems so mystical. *sigh* Now, all I want to do is go to Oxford for school...

I wondered where you all have gone? What was your favorite place? What would you recommend?

FN Posted: Fri Jan 6 08:30:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In London?

Natural History Museum was very nice.

Silentmind Posted: Fri Jan 6 23:16:37 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The Imperial War Museum is one of the best places to go in London.

beetlebum Posted: Sat Jan 7 00:09:15 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In Oxford you should go to the Eagle & Child pub where Tolkien and CS Lewis used to chill, and most tourists don't take the walk through Port Meadow to the Trout, a wicked pub on the Isis River. Erm, also in Oxford you should stop by the Turf. Pubs aside, the Ashmoleon is pretty wicked, as is the Natural History Museum, as it Blackwell's bookshop... I love the tour of Christ Church, as well. (It's cool to see where Lewis Caroll got all of his ideas.) Also, the quad below Pizza Express is where Shakespeare supposedly watched his plays performed, and I just think that's cool. Plus, the Shelley Sculpture in University College is not to be missed, nor the Light of the World in Keble College's chapel.

In London, the Troubador cafe is wicked (in Earl's Court), and there are a million pubs that are cool. I love Trafalger and its museum (National Art Gallery), and in spring you can take a tour of Buckingham which is worth the time and money. I really just like the parks in London. The Globe Theatre is worth a look, too. Plus, you can take high tea (proper tea) at the Ritz and the price is very reasonable considering you're at the Ritz. I've heard lots of good things about the War Museum as well.

mat_j Posted: Mon Jan 9 09:17:28 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahh Oxford how i miss thee. As well as wandering around Magdelen college looking at the deer, and seeing Resident evil in that appalling little Odeon not far away from the cock and camel pub, my enduring memories come from the 2005 Cowley road carnival.

Ok so the carnival is as tacky as they come but i met so many nice people there which is Oxfords enduring charm for me. I remember that night going back to a house and drinking dark rum in their garden, and having a hippie jam fest playing Dylan and ben harper songs.

Another thing that i enjoyed about Oxford, but sadly is there no more, is a dingy little biker bar near the town centre called the Glock (Short for the Glocester) which had a great soundtrack to it and some of the most earthy, and unsually aromatic, but interesting characters in the world. Plus the food was decent and it came with a neverending bowl of fries.

Oxford is my second city in the UK, it's the only other place outside of Cardiff i would seriously consider living, I mean Cambridge was alright but not a patch on the dreaming spires :).

beetlebum Posted: Mon Jan 9 09:30:55 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Ahh Oxford how i miss thee. As well as wandering around Magdelen college looking at the deer, and seeing Resident evil in that appalling little Odeon not far away from the cock and camel pub, my enduring memories come from the 2005 Cowley road carnival.
>
I was there! Perhaps we passed each other. I love that Carnival... I worked on CowleY Road this summer (across from Boot's) and heck, I just love that area. And I like that Odeon! It's better than the one on Magdalen Street. :D (Although they are about a stone's throw from one another.)

mat_j Posted: Mon Jan 9 16:43:02 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You wouldn't happen to know a cantankerous Welshman with very little desire to mix with others, studied English went by the name of Rhys Williams?

beetlebum Posted: Mon Jan 9 17:28:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I know of an actor by that very name, good fellow. Is this the one about whom you are inquiring?

beetlebum Posted: Mon Jan 9 17:32:02 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  (but if you are inquiring after an oxford student with the same moniker, i'm afraid i cannot help you.)

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]