Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Homesickness
CorDrine Posted: Mon Jan 9 03:40:20 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If you are currently not leaving in a country/city/town where you were born and grew up in, have you ever felt homesick before? Missing the food? The people? The places?

I've been away from my hometown (Penang, Malaysia) for 8 years now. Still visit occationally. Its when you're stuck in a foreign land and wishing you were back home (which is what I am feeling now), that really gets to you.

Sigh...

Just to share :)

http://penangpage.com/tgbungah/

Strange how you can feel lonely in a crowded city full of people, yet be totally at peace with yourself when you are alone tracking in the jungle back home.

addi Posted: Mon Jan 9 07:27:29 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wow...that's a beautiful place, CorDrine. I can see why you'd miss it for the physical beauty. I miss it and I've never been there.
: )

For me homesickness is rooted in my family. I could have been raised in a boring, flat, cold place (sounds like Nebraska) and still miss it because that was "home" for me, where my immediate family lives. I live a long way away from my brothers and sisters and parents now, and I only get to visit maybe once a year. When I was driving away after Christmas this year I had to fight back the tears for a few miles. Not becuase I was going to miss the cornfields of the Great Plains, but because I was once again driving hundreds of miles away from the people I love. At the risk of sounding very morbid I have realized at my age that life is extremely fleeting. It goes by so fast, and without dwelling on it, I know in the back of my mind that the number of times I have left to see everyone together is very limited.

beetlebum Posted: Mon Jan 9 09:38:42 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CorDrine said:
>If you are currently not leaving in a country/city/town where you were born and grew up in, have you ever felt homesick before? Missing the food? The people? The places?
>
Yah. When I had just finished school (early) I had this fantastic idea to head off to France for a year, and I was allowed a phonecall with my family once a month and I had no english-speaking friends except for this very odd swiss girl. I was so homesick I made myself physically ill, but then I just made myself not think about it, and morbidly, I just pretended that my family was dead and there was nothing I could do. But I was also crazily determined.

I think it's easier when you can call home a little more often, or talk to people who are going through the same thing. Now I live in England (have done so for a couple o' years... perhaps a bit more), and I have few American friends, but if I get homesick it's usually due to some not-so-good event at home, or some bad news reaching me. Most of the time I'm fine, and also, I have friends to pick me up by my bootstraps if I become too blargh.

jennemmer Posted: Mon Jan 9 10:58:46 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I happened to pick a place with scenery and attitude which is close to the home I left. It's interesting how I felt more homesick living in the mountains in my own country than I do living in the prairies of a different country.

Like Addi it's the people I miss most but at the same time the distance makes us talk more because that's all we can do. When I was living at home I saw my mom only monthly anyway as she lived out of town and even though I lived with my dad we had very different schedules. Being so far away means that we have to dedicate time if we want to keep in touch.

SntSaturn Posted: Mon Jan 9 12:49:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm in my first year at Ohio State University. My autumn quarter of classes went great, but now that I've returned from Christmas break I find myself homesick. It's hard for me to make that initial transition from open farmland to a dorm in the center of a city. I miss the space, my pets, my parents, my moms cooking. I'll be over it soon enough, but for right now I'm feeling quite nostalgic.

choke Posted: Mon Jan 9 16:12:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm feeling very homesick, but only when I concentrate on it. If I am busy, it's not so bad.

But sometimes I'll just have a random flash of something one of my friends or family do and it hurts like someone's physically punched me in the stomach.

What also hurts (in a very basic, selfish kindof way when I'm feeling fragile) is that life goes on without me, even though it shouldn't. It's not allowed.

I miss my town, I even miss my old jobs even though they aren't much. I miss the general feel of the place and the attitudes you come across there.

And I love to see photos of my friends, but just the fact that I'm not in them and didn't share the experience is painful.

But again, it's only sometimes. Usually I'm too busy to notice, but very occasionally I sit under my desk in my room and sob like a child :P

addi Posted: Tue Jan 10 08:48:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  SntSaturn said:
>I'm in my first year at Ohio State University.

THE Ohio State?

I'm really sorry to hear that. Perhaps if you raise your GPA this semester you can transfer to a good school...like in the Big12 conference.

SntSaturn Posted: Tue Jan 10 10:05:00 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>SntSaturn said:
>>I'm in my first year at Ohio State University.
>
>THE Ohio State?
>
>I'm really sorry to hear that. Perhaps if you raise your GPA this semester you can transfer to a good school...like in the Big12 conference.
>
>: )

I would never leave the big Ten, but I understand your need to recruit fans to the other conferences. ;) Go bucks!

addi Posted: Tue Jan 10 10:11:18 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  SntSaturn said:

>I would never leave the big Ten, but I understand your need to recruit fans to the other conferences. ;) Go bucks!

Ahhhh! It's too late. You've been brainwashed!

*this calls for an intervention

SntSaturn Posted: Tue Jan 10 10:22:09 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and what school do you recommend?

Mesh Posted: Tue Jan 10 10:25:56 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>intervention
>
>

That is a good show. I think it's on A&E.

I generally read or go to a park and watch people playing sports or just pop in a DVD if I ever felt homesick. Takes my mind off of it.

addi Posted: Tue Jan 10 10:49:12 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  SntSaturn said:
>and what school do you recommend?

Ohio State is a fine institution for higher learning (I just have an irrational dislike for the Big10). But it's so damn big. I'd feel lost there. Tell me you didn't join a greek sorority...

Q: How many sorority girls does it take to change a light bulb?
A: One to hold the Diet Pepsi, and one to call Daddy.

Q: Why does a sorority girl close her eyes during sex?
A: So she can fantasize about shopping.

Q: What's a sorority girl's idea of natural childbirth?
A: No make-up.

SntSaturn Posted: Tue Jan 10 10:52:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
Tell me you didn't join a greek sorority...

No. I have not and will not join a sorority. I've never been interested in Greek Life. And, campus is huge, but you find your niche. They offer anything and everything and usually are the best or close to in what they offer.

Mouse Posted: Tue Jan 10 13:58:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't get homesick, the home I miss isn't there to return to and I am not the person I was in it, I would call it nostalgia instead. It's not a place I miss so much as a time and the people I was with there. The knowledge that that cannot be the same now makes my feelings less wanting to go back and more pure and simply missing what was. When the feeling grows too heavy I immerse myself in who I am now and what I'm doing, trying to make this day the best I can.

Mouse

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]