Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Okay children
choke Posted: Mon Feb 20 20:59:12 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have a survey/questionnaire for you. You don't have to answer all of the questions, I'm just getting a general feel for the topic. Any extra comments you may have feel free to add. Yes, this is a part of my homework and I am shamelessly using your opinions.

Oh and it has to be about USA so if you're not american just pretend to be. Or just answer anyway and I'll just say you are.

Do you prefer conscription or the volunteer force? (I'm talking about the military btw)

1. Did you think the system of the draft in the 1960s (Vietnam War)was fair? Why/Why not?

2. Do you think the nature of the war called for a draft? (Eg. You weren't being invaded) Or that the government had the right to make that kind of a call?

3. Were you/ Would you have been for or against the war in Vietnam?

4. Do you think the volunteer force would be better soldiers than those in the draft or once you're out thewre does it not matter? / Do you think your belief in the war would affect your performance?

5. Do you think it was right for people to try and avoid the draft?

6. Do you think it was fair for 18 yearolds to be drafted while they couldn't even vote until they were 21? Do you think the decision to lower the voting age as a result of this was a good one?

7. Overall would you prefer that the force in Vietnam had been a volunteer one? Do you think there would have been enough soldiers? Would the outcome have been the same?

8. What about future wars? Do you think a conscription would ever be necessary again?

9. If the USA was to go to war again would you feel safer behind a volunteer force or a conascripted one?

10. If there was another conscription today how do you think it would be reacted to?

Thank you for your time.

Mesh Posted: Mon Feb 20 22:31:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>
>
>Do you prefer conscription or the volunteer force? (I'm talking about the military btw)
>

Volunteer

>1. Did you think the system of the draft in the 1960s (Vietnam War)was fair? Why/Why not?
>

No. I don't think it was vital to the interests of the United States. I know some people would argue otherwise, domino effect yadda yadda yadda. But no, not in that situation.

>2. Do you think the nature of the war called for a draft? (Eg. You weren't being invaded) Or that the government had the right to make that kind of a call?
>

No. Previous answer.

>3. Were you/ Would you have been for or against the war in Vietnam?
>

If I were a young american man in that period of time, I honestly don't know. If I were who I am today, only back then, then I probably would have been against it.

>4. Do you think the volunteer force would be better soldiers than those in the draft or once you're out thewre does it not matter? / Do you think your belief in the war would affect your performance?
>

Yes on both of those, to an extent anyways.

>5. Do you think it was right for people to try and avoid the draft?
>

If they didn't believe in the war.....I can see why they'd be opposed to being forced to go and fight it.

>6. Do you think it was fair for 18 yearolds to be drafted while they couldn't even vote until they were 21? Do you think the decision to lower the voting age as a result of this was a good one?
>

Wasn't fair, and it was a good decision to lower it.

>7. Overall would you prefer that the force in Vietnam had been a volunteer one? Do you think there would have been enough soldiers? Would the outcome have been the same?
>

>8. What about future wars? Do you think a conscription would ever be necessary again?
>

Yes, in the event that the nation was invaded or faced very extreme negative consequences as a result of not fighting and winning. Like a hypothetical World War Three(assuming nuclear weapons aren't used) I would think conscription would be ok.

>9. If the USA was to go to war again would you feel safer behind a volunteer force or a conascripted one?
>

I'd feel safer knowing everyone there was a well trained, highly motivated and dedicated volunteer.

>10. If there was another conscription today how do you think it would be reacted to?
>

Riots and lots of people refusing to go.

>Thank you for your time.

I hope it helped a bit :)

antartica Posted: Mon Feb 20 23:13:22 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:

>Do you prefer conscription or the volunteer force? (I'm talking about the military btw)

volunteer

>
>1. Did you think the system of the draft in the 1960s (Vietnam War)was fair? Why/Why not?

no, most didn't wanted it nor to go anyway

>2. Do you think the nature of the war called for a draft? (Eg. You weren't being invaded) Or that the government had the right to make that kind of a call?

uncalled for

against

>
>4. Do you think the volunteer force would be better soldiers than those in the draft or once you're out thewre does it not matter? / Do you think your belief in the war would affect your performance?
>
depends on what your fighting for. in a way it makes no diff once your out there coz you are basically fighting to live and stay alive, shoot at or be shot at

if it was a really valid reason, why not?

>
>6. Do you think it was fair for 18 yearolds to be drafted while they couldn't even vote until they were 21? Do you think the decision to lower the voting age as a result of this was a good one?

unfair, but what is fair? in many countries, draftees come in at 18, but do not come of majority till 21 anyway. it's the government that makes the rules, so they in a way decide who's old enough to kill someone else, but who's not old enough to decide who should be running the country

>
>7. Overall would you prefer that the force in Vietnam had been a volunteer one? Do you think there would have been enough soldiers? Would the outcome have been the same?

if it was a volunteer war, it would have ended before it started anyway, so it could have been a good thing, who really wants to sign up to become a potential meat bomb?
>

>8. What about future wars? Do you think a conscription would ever be necessary again?

unless it's someone invading my turf, what's the point?

>
>9. If the USA was to go to war again would you feel safer behind a volunteer force or a conascripted one?

volunteer or career soldiers always perform better mainly coz they know they want to be there, versus those who know that they have to be there.

>
>10. If there was another conscription today how do you think it would be reacted to?

big hoo haas again i guess
parades and marches for peace, long hair and weed smoking, and all of us would lock ourselves in hotel rooms singing give peace a chance..... marry christmas war is over... dang, i got carried away there for a mo... heh

>

you're welcome =)

Aeon Posted: Mon Feb 20 23:24:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  1. Did you think the system of the draft in the 1960s (Vietnam War)was fair? Why/Why not?

ANSWER: Life's not fair. I hardly think a lottery that could very well mean your death was fair either. Sorry for the fogies who disagree.

2. Do you think the nature of the war called for a draft? (Eg. You weren't being invaded) Or that the government had the right to make that kind of a call?

ANSWER: The nature of the war was that we weren't quite sure why we were there. They needed a draft because we didn't have the same righteous attitude we had in the world wars... hence the reason why we lost. It tore the country apart.

3. Were you/ Would you have been for or against the war in Vietnam?

ANSWER: Against. Last time I checked, our persistence in Korea or Southeast Asia in general has not swayed or stopped communism as the largest communist government toppled in 1989.

4. Do you think the volunteer force would be better soldiers than those in the draft or once you're out thewre does it not matter? / Do you think your belief in the war would affect your performance?

ANSWER: Depends on the volunteers. Psychologically I'd say yes.

5. Do you think it was right for people to try and avoid the draft?

ANSWER: I don't know. Right and wrong are relative.

6. Do you think it was fair for 18 yearolds to be drafted while they couldn't even vote until they were 21? Do you think the decision to lower the voting age as a result of this was a good one?

ANSWER: Life's not fair. Voting is not one of those things that I think 18 year olds would be screaming about if it were today.

7. Overall would you prefer that the force in Vietnam had been a volunteer one? Do you think there would have been enough soldiers? Would the outcome have been the same?

ANSWER: I'd rather not have been there.

8. What about future wars? Do you think a conscription would ever be necessary again?

ANSWER: It will always be necessary when countries are brought into wars that a large portion of the population feels is unjust or without warrant. Sorry HIF.

9. If the USA was to go to war again would you feel safer behind a volunteer force or a conascripted one?

ANSWER: Volunteer.

10. If there was another conscription today how do you think it would be reacted to?

ANSWER: Probably very negatively. I don't think we liked it in the 60's and 70's.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Feb 21 08:08:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>I have a survey/questionnaire for you. You don't have to answer all of the questions, I'm just getting a general feel for the topic. Any extra comments you may have feel free to add. Yes, this is a part of my homework and I am shamelessly using your opinions.
>
>Oh and it has to be about USA so if you're not american just pretend to be. Or just answer anyway and I'll just say you are.
>
>
Volunteer is always better

>
Yes, but it could have been better. Deferments were easier to get for wealthy families.

>
Whenever you are involved in an armed conflict and you don't have enough volunteers to get the job done, then a draft is called for.

>
I was for it.
They asked for our help and we responded.

>
There appears to be no difference in their performance on the battlefield.
Our military won every major battle they fought against the NVA with drafted soldiers.

>
For the most part, no. You cannot pick and choose which fights you want to be involved in for your country. If you want to reap the benefits of what your country has to offer, then you must do your part to help pull your own weight.
Imagine a large percentage of our youth deciding they didn't want to fight against Hitler for whatever reasons they might have.

>
Maybe it wasn't fair, but it was correct and I don't think the voting age should have been lowered, but in the end it didn't matter as the under 21 voters don't bother to vote anyway.

>
It would have made no difference. The military performed beautifully in Vietnam, it was the politicians that lost that war.

>
More than likely, someday it will happen.

>
Again, it would make no difference.

>
It would depend on the reasons for the draft being instituted.

mat_j Posted: Thu Feb 23 08:48:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  

>

Volunteer, proffessional soldiers are always going to better than a bunch of kids forced to do the job and it leaves a significantly larger portion of the population unscathed by war

Any kind of system that allows Donny rumsfeld three student deferements can't be all that good

There's never any call for a draft, if a nation is being invaded and nobody cares enough to defend home soil said nation deserves to die!

Such a needless conflict, there's absolutly no need to fight a war that far away for nothing but ideological reasons, and fighting a war for liberation and democracy doiesn't cut it when the democratic gov't in place at that time in South vietnam was as corrupt as it was

>4. Do you think the volunteer force would be better soldiers than those in the draft or once you're out theyre does it not matter? / Do you think your belief in the war would affect your performance?

Winning set piece victories against an inferior force is one thing, surviving the guerilla war that followed really showed how ready a bunch of kids from the sticks were for combat

What's the point of having a proffesional army if it can't even fight a not strictly necessary war? What if at that point America was attacked by one of her enemies? A significant numer of our men and resources were tied up over seas

How different did that make America from a dictatorship, young men dying for a system they didn't have a part in choosing?

Doesn't matter, Volunteers or not the war was lost, it would have probably been lost by a proffesional force, nowadays the story would be different, i just don't think america could ahve beaten Vietnam without the president standing trial in the hague for genocide charges

Probably on a long enough timescale America will eventually collapse just like every other nation, somewhere along the line the government will see it necessary to draft troops

Conscripted

>
If the war was another Vietnam i'd hope a lot more people would be clued up and stand against it!

NB I am cranky today due to a mouth injury so apologies if my answers were glib and rushed, i rushed them and was being glib.

mat xxx

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]