Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

I gave up being Catholic for Lent
Mesh Posted: Wed Mar 1 16:14:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just kidding, I'm not Catholic. But uh, anyone here that is? Discuss, etc.

But maybe noone here is catholic I think, then this topic will conist of one post. Mine.

addi Posted: Wed Mar 1 16:39:41 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think mat_j..I'm sure there's others here too.

Stupidity reigns supreme in every organized religion. My biggest peev right now with the catholic church is in latin america. Take a close look at the poverty and filth and squalor in so many cities there (San Paulo for example). There are many factors involved that contribute to these subhuman living conditions, but the Popes and Bishops preaching about the sin of using contraceptives in these mostly roman catholic countries drives me f**king crazy. So the faithful keep producing babies like rabbits and you end up with overpopulated pockets of hell on earth. For sure having less babies isn't going to solve all their problems, but it would certainly ease the crisis of too many young mouths to feed, with too little resources to do it.

rant done

libra Posted: Wed Mar 1 19:15:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My family would be catholic if my dad hadn't given catholicism up when he was in 6th grade. his family was very catholic, his parents had decided he should be a priest...but then he went athiest on them and they sort of excommunicated him...but not all the way.

I find catholicism kind of funny, in a way. It's such a crazy religion. The pope with his red Prada shoes and everything. And their problems with science...the catholic church doesn't support intelligent design, and actually put a lot of research into science because of things like earthquakes and stuff back in the day.
I also have some very bad prejudices against the religion because of my grandparents and the way they treated me and my family.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

novemberrain Posted: Wed Mar 1 20:23:36 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm catholic.

Or as my mother says, I'm a cafeteria catholic. I pick and choose what I want to believe in.

~My~ god isn't going to send me to hell for dating a girl. Maybe for other things, but not that. ;P

addi Posted: Wed Mar 1 21:32:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  novemberrain said:
>I'm catholic.

Suddenly I feel a lot better about catholics

: )

Mouse Posted: Thu Mar 2 00:51:04 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My mother was, as she and one of her close friends who is one as well put it, a recovering Catholic. Most organized religion scares me, catholicism is the height of that I think.

And on a random side note, I just got back from a muslim (sufist) women's gathering and I think this group of people is helping me with my knee-jerk anti-religion bitterness. And turkish women are beautiful. *End of random pile of thoughts*

DanSRose Posted: Thu Mar 2 01:06:36 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like the fact that Pope wears a yarmaluke (pronounced: yaw-ma-kah).

Sweetnsourmilli Posted: Thu Mar 2 01:32:32 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hello evry1, im bored, and yeh, looking 4 sumthing 2 do, so yeh, posting...
Im not Catholic, im Christian (technically babtist) but i still giv sumthing up 4 lent, dunno why tho, hmmm. i use2 give up stupid things like "i wont not eat chocolate". but i got 2 like 13, and im like, uh, better give up sumthing important 4 once.

Mesh Posted: Thu Mar 2 01:47:47 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>conist

Damnit damnit damnit!

*consist

Beep Posted: Thu Mar 2 05:59:22 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  catholic or not i think that the idea of giving up a vice, or improving something about your life for a 40 day stretch is a good idea.
I was brought up a catholic, and think it has taught me a lot of good things as a child. however, now i'm old enough to make decisions for myself i just can't believe in a god. a deity just doesn't make any sense in my head, there doesn't seem to be a point to one. or if there is then i agree with Kant and Hume, that we can't know anything about Him/Her/It so without direct divine intervention it's a bit futile trying.

This lent i'm going to try making sure i'm in bed before 11.30 and asleep before 12.00 every night. my sleep pattern is severly askew, so i'm trying to sort it out.

Mark Posted: Thu Mar 2 06:18:13 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My parents are (were) catholic, but they decided not to push their faith on me. I was and still am allowed to choose my own way. If I want to be an atheist, catholic or follow native american believes, it is my own choice.

I'm glad they decided to do that, although I must say that I don't know if it was the right thing to do. I find that people, not the fanatics, can find peace in faith. They find warmth and such. I, on the other hand, cannot do that because of my views. Because I was allowed to choose I did my research in several religions and it made it hard to believe anything.

Until a few years back I was a full blown atheist. Gods just didn't exist. Nowdays I'm not so sure. It's weird though, letting some religion in your life. Not directly believing, but being more open for it.

addi Posted: Thu Mar 2 07:12:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweetnsourmilli said:
>Hello evry1, im bored, and yeh, looking 4 sumthing 2 do, so yeh, posting...

Hi milli

Very bold step on your part to leap from the shadows and post here. BTW..we're all bored and looking 4 sumthing 2 do

And watch out for the wrath of Jenn commenting on your first post. She hates internet word abbreviations : )

Howitzer Posted: Thu Mar 2 08:29:47 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I gave up my virginity for lent, i figured it would be the easiest thing that, once givin up, would be the hardest to take back up again.

addi Posted: Thu Mar 2 08:34:49 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  good for you, howi, good for you

I hope it was with a female....and that she wasn't 30.

Howitzer Posted: Thu Mar 2 08:47:05 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>good for you, howi, good for you
>
>I hope it was with a female....and that she wasn't 30.

it was with a female, and what is wrong with 30? addi, your silly

addi Posted: Thu Mar 2 09:07:15 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Howitzer said:

>it was with a female, and what is wrong with 30? addi, your silly

you see..this is exactly why you need to come here more often. Had you been reading posts from the past few days you would have realized I was being sarcastic, and that it was a referance to a discussion about Christophe's recent exploits..tsk..tsk...so sad..so very sad

: )

jennemmer Posted: Thu Mar 2 09:35:07 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>And watch out for the wrath of Jenn commenting on your first post. She hates internet word abbreviations : )

Fine fine... call me out of hiding :p

(in reality I left the charger for my lap top in Canada and am waiting for it to be sent back to me... I've had a grand total of 3 hours of computer time before it died to spread out over a week... 37 minutes left)

I hate reading/marking them in essays and lab reports and anything that should be in proper english. That and I figure if anyone on chat really cares what I have to say they'll wait for me to finish typing...

Oh, and hello millie ;)

jennemmer Posted: Thu Mar 2 09:36:19 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And with respect to the Catholic thing... one of my friends got challenged to give up moping for lent. _That_ is going to be a challange for him ;p

addi Posted: Thu Mar 2 09:43:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:

>Fine fine... call me out of hiding :p

it worked : )

here's to the speedy return of your charger

Mesh Posted: Thu Mar 2 16:12:04 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:
>catholic or not i think that the idea of giving up a vice, or improving something about your life for a 40 day stretch is a good idea.

I agree with that. Especially if the improvement someone makes is something they can extend even past Lent.

novemberrain Posted: Thu Mar 2 17:01:45 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>novemberrain said:
>>I'm catholic.
>
>
>Suddenly I feel a lot better about catholics
>
>: )

*HUGS* Thanks, General. I try not to let most of the Catholics give the rest of us a bad name.

addi Posted: Thu Mar 2 17:53:59 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  novemberrain said:

>*HUGS* Thanks, General. I try not to let most of the Catholics give the rest of us a bad name.

hugs back, Nov. By any chance do you still have your catholic school uniform with the...

nevermind.

novemberrain Posted: Thu Mar 2 20:34:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>novemberrain said:
>
>>*HUGS* Thanks, General. I try not to let most of the Catholics give the rest of us a bad name.
>
>hugs back, Nov. By any chance do you still have your catholic school uniform with the...
>
>nevermind.

hehehe. With the shiny red apple for teacher and the book strap?

I have no idea where I put them....

choke Posted: Thu Mar 2 21:13:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>meshuggah said:
>>conist
>
>
>Damnit damnit damnit!
>
>*consist

Oh, Mesh. I never notice your mistakes until you point them out and agonize over them. I love you for your mistakes!

Kira Posted: Thu Mar 2 21:16:02 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>And watch out for the wrath of Jenn commenting on your first post. She hates internet word abbreviations : )

'Words are alive; cut them and they bleed.'

I had a Catholic playmate when I was a young 'un. That didn't last very long. While most religious adults I've known have been tolerant and understanding as I have been of them, religious children can be a bit... awful. At least from the point of view of an atheist child.

Beep Posted: Fri Mar 3 06:27:19 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm, perhaps. though i don't think it's fair to lump all catholics in as the same thing. there are a lot of differences. a few of my friends are catholic and they believe in very different things and will no doubt teach their kids very different things when they are older. hehe, i have one friend who wont believe in evolution, and others that call themselves catholics who don't believe in most of jesus. catholics are people too, heh.

I think Mesh should give up correcting posts for lent. i have only noticed one of your mistakes ever, and it was one that you missed :P mistakes make us human.

addi Posted: Fri Mar 3 07:42:25 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:
>Hmm, perhaps. though i don't think it's fair to lump all catholics in as the same thing.

Very true, Beep. I wasn't trying to lump them all together in my previous rant either. The same could be said for any followers of a major religion...especially muslims these days.

>mistakes make us human.

In that case I'm VERY human

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Mar 3 08:16:46 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Most of the movers and shakers in my town are Catholic and it seems to me that for the most part they treat it as more of a big social club rather than a religion. Most of them are not what you would call devout and if a poll was taken, I think you would find that most American Catholics practice birth control. Not truly loyal to the pope in that respect.

addi Posted: Fri Mar 3 11:47:48 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  so.....very.....slow....today

misszero Posted: Mon Mar 6 00:36:56 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  re: catholics and birth control, i figure you've either gotta be anti-contraceptives, or anti-abortion. can't be both, that's having you're baby and eating it too (not even i think that that makes sense)

i was baptised and confirmed and stuff (so was Crim. tee hee hee, pjp) and my mama told me that being catholic is sorta like being in a gang. the only way out is death (then you've gotta deal with that afterlife crap, or not. I'm not sure about that)

I guess i'm what one of the McCourt brothers would call a 'collapsed catholic'. I don't go to mass, and i think a lot of it is absurd, and i'm agnostic on my father's side... *shrugs* I like the idea of being a catholic with an irish background though. ah, the aesthetics of religion.

Posted: Wed Mar 8 02:25:10 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:

>i was baptised and confirmed and stuff (so was Crim. tee hee hee, pjp)

very funny. :P

( For the terribly embarassing backstory behind PJP: http://philrenaud.com/97 )

Mesh Posted: Wed Mar 8 02:54:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>misszero said:
>
>>i was baptised and confirmed and stuff (so was Crim. tee hee hee, pjp)
>
>very funny. :P
>
>( For the terribly embarassing backstory behind PJP: http://philrenaud.com/97 )

Hehehe, that warmed the cockles.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]