Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Gay Children.
Mesh Posted: Tue Mar 7 05:12:36 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yep. Just like the poll. Would it matter to you?

Interesting, I was just thinking about this same thing before I came to check GT, because I was just watching Philadelphia.

My answer is "no".

addi Posted: Tue Mar 7 07:38:10 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  had to deal with this is real life when my younger brother informed my father and step mother that he was gay. It hit pretty hard for them at first, but within a short amount of time they came to accept it, and in some respects embrace his "issue". Today it's a complete non-issue for most of us. He is loved by them the same as the rest of us. He had a civil ceremony (marriage) that the family attended, and has been partnered with a great black guy for over 10 years. They adopted a child 6 years ago, who's doing well, and my brother is now the president of a company in St.Paul.

My real mother, older sister, and some in-laws are fundamentalists, so they've had a much harder time dealing with his lifestyle. They still believe it was some conscious choice on his part (non-biological) and that if he chose to he could become straight again with the help of Jesus (no comment). They believe it is a sin, but they still love him and at family gatherings everything is cool and hugs abound.

go figure

jennemmer Posted: Tue Mar 7 09:04:32 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've never really been bothered by it in anyone and I don't think it would change if it was my kid. I actually have the distinction of having had the least reaction of anyone one of my friends got when she came out of the closet.

Love is scarce enough in this world. If you find it, go for it.

addi Posted: Tue Mar 7 09:07:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:

>Love is scarce enough in this world. If you find it, go for it.

well said

(starts singing) "Looking for love in all the wrong places..."

: )

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Mar 7 10:33:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am of the opinion that it's nobody's business what goes on behind closed doors between consenting adults, even if they happen to be the same gender.

I am also of the opinion that those who would sit in judgement against those who would be homosexual should have a pineapple shoved up their ass.

I have no problem with those who think homosexuality is wrong, it's when they begin to judge them that I tend to get pissed off.

Mouse Posted: Tue Mar 7 11:51:48 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I certainly don't think it would matter to me. Especially since I don't consider myself straight.
The only reason I can think of that it would matter to me would be if I didn't see it before they told me, I would feel like I hadn't been paying attention.
Or maybe the whole 'are you going to give me grandchildren' thing, since I don't plan on having more than one child. But that would be kind of silly.

libra Posted: Tue Mar 7 12:16:32 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I definitely wouldn't have a problem.

mat_j Posted: Tue Mar 7 14:32:01 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Course it would matter, like it would matter if my kid was an accountant, except if my kid was gay i wouldn't mind so much.... If i found out he was a talent agent i'd take it to the woods to cheney it.

addi Posted: Tue Mar 7 15:12:04 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Course it would matter, like it would matter if my kid was an accountant, except if my kid was gay i wouldn't mind so much.... If i found out he was a talent agent i'd take it to the woods to cheney it.

LOL!

Just pray he/she doesn't turn out to be a cartoonist.

Kira Posted: Tue Mar 7 17:14:21 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "You can't help being born Christian instead of Jewish. It doesn't mean you're glad you were. But I am glad. There. I've said it. It'd be terrible. I'm glad I'm not. I could never make you understand that. You could never understand that it's a fact...like being glad you're good-looking...instead of ugly, rich instead of poor...young instead of old, healthy instead of sick. You could never understand that. It's just a practical fact...not a judgment that I'm superior. But I could never make you see that. You'd twist it into something horrible--a conniving, an aiding and abetting... a thing I loathe as much as you do." -Kathy Lacey from "Gentleman's Agreement"

Nothing in there about being homosexual but you could easily imagine the line "straight instead of gay" somewhere in that speech.

I would feel some anxiety, I'm sure. Just wanting to know how I can make my child feel at ease, let him know that I accept and understand, but also I would be worried about the bigotry in the world that I cannot control.

I can't simply say "I wouldn't have a problem" and leave it at that, although it's true. Short of becoming serial killers nothing my children could do or BE could make me love them any less, and homosexuality is gaining more acceptance in nearly every part of the world every day, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't surprised or concerned.

Nevertheless I feel safe promising our relationship would not change. I would be the same mother I always was, which I hope would be the kind who, upon learning that my kid has a special someone, asks without delay, "So when do I get to meet them?"

choke Posted: Tue Mar 7 17:40:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well it wouldn't matter entirely, but I would still want to study it. Actually I think it would be better if it was gay, so I could ask it all the questions I've always wanted to ask a gay person but felt rude doing.

Dancer Posted: Tue Mar 7 22:23:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Well it wouldn't matter entirely, but I would still want to study it. Actually I think it would be better if it was gay, so I could ask it all the questions I've always wanted to ask a gay person but felt rude doing.

LOL.. you can always ask in this forum. We are know-it-all aren't we..:)

It wouldn't matter to me as long as my kid can find a partner who loves and respects me and the family, i think it would be enough..boy or girl, girl or boy..it doesn't really matter.

antartica Posted: Tue Mar 7 23:54:52 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  well. with divorce rates higher than happy marraiges, wtf if they are of the same gender.

sure we'd all have conventional thoughts and the usual grow up, get married and give us grandkids, but at end of the day, if we really love our children, we'd really want them to be happy, and in turn if they can make us happy with their love and respect, why not?

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Mar 8 08:12:21 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Gay dudes make the best waiters.

Beep Posted: Wed Mar 8 13:45:23 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Not a problem.
vaguely on topic, do you think people are born gay or do you think they become gay because of experiences throughout life?

Dancer Posted: Wed Mar 8 23:03:03 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Gay dudes make the best waiters.

and best hairstylists..makeup artists..

antartica Posted: Thu Mar 9 00:09:12 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  on that same note one of the best stewards i've ever had on a ship was a gay.

the job basically is like a assistant cook and cleaner and waiter all rolled in one and it's like a mans strength with a woman's touch...

sweet p Posted: Thu Mar 9 01:25:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hi, remember me?
:)

I was just talking about this with my sisters and mum yesterday. Mums says it wouldn't be a problem but we sisters agreed that she was secretly hoping the conversation didn't mean one of us is gay.

I don't have kids so I can't say for sure but while it would matter to me, I don't see why it would be a problem for me. People are people. Love is nice [mostly].

Knowing me I would be much more worried about how they were feeling and whether or not they thought I understood and things like being accepted in the outside world and things like that.

..Maybe I shouldn't have children.

addi Posted: Thu Mar 9 07:11:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:

>..Maybe I shouldn't have children.

Hush child! The world needs more little Sweet P's running around.

*so very nice to see you here : )

Okay...here's the definative answer to this question, and NOBODY better disagree with it cuz it's 100% correct!

If you're a parent and your child tells you he/she is gay, yes, it will make you sad. First of all it's natural to want a grandchild (same blood line) from your children, and while it's not impossible (see Melissa Etheridge) chances are it ain't gonna happen.

Secondly, you love that child and as far as most of the world has come in accepting gays it still has a long way to go. The discrimination and outright open hostility they will face throughout their life will make you hurt for them.
Having said that the child is still your flesh and blood. A normal parent will love and care for them no matter their sexual preference.

choke Posted: Thu Mar 9 18:37:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was at my friends house once and we asked her mum if she would mind if we were gay and she said she'd flick us around the ear :(

I hope I have a gay son. Gay guys are my favourite.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]