Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

V for Violence versus Vantage
DanSRose Posted: Wed Mar 15 00:35:42 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You all know that I enjoy the world of comics and graphic novels, right? Good. Now here's the predicament:

Friday (March 17) is the release of V for Vendetta, the film produced by the Wachowski brothers of the Matrices. The story: the world, specifically London, is a dictator run dystopia, where what we would call "racism" has been institutionalized long enough that Those People have been elimated through camps and the like, where police are corrupt but let to their own devices as long as the job gets done, and the Public at Large is placated by TV and the government newsmedia called the Voice. All of sudden, a series of- what we can only call- terrorist attacks occur. I'm not spoiling anything here, for it is in the trailers and occurs in the first minutes of the film- Big Ben is e'sploded, along with the Houses of Parliament. It is solely organized and engaged by V, who wears a Guy Fawkes mask. He rescues Evey from a group of police officers and makes a protegé of her.
That was just backstory, nothing to do with the Question. I just find a fantastic story, told in an incredible fashion, and in general really cool.

The Question is: What would it take, how bad would it have to be, for you to consider violence as the course of action against your government? Do demonstrations and democratic philophies work, do they cut it at the threshold of facisim? Is this type of extreme violence, specifically addressed toward and against the government, ever justified?

addi Posted: Wed Mar 15 07:14:57 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Violence against any government has always been justified by those who instigate the violence. It's all a matter of perspective. In the 18th century American Patriots were considered terrorists by the British. From our perspective they were morally justified founding fathers.

To me that question has to be answered on a case by case basis. In my lifetime I've seen some violent revolts against the ruling powers that I felt was clearly justified. There have been other examples where I felt those perpetrating the acts of violence were completely misguided and unjustified.

*I really want to see that movie, but think I'll forego the long lines expected for the opening weekend.

Mesh Posted: Wed Mar 15 10:22:56 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>
>The Question is: What would it take, how bad would it have to be, for you to consider violence as the course of action against your government? Do demonstrations and democratic philophies work, do they cut it at the threshold of facisim? Is this type of extreme violence, specifically addressed toward and against the government, ever justified?

I'd say at say the point at which the governemnent gets to where it no longer allows demonstrations and democratic anything (ie they'll just cut demonstrators down with gunfire and throw the survivors in labour camps or something for life), and the point at which you can't utter anything critical against the gov. without fear of somehow being found out and punished for it, when you are no longer allowed the freedom to in any way choose your own path or have a say in what you do(so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses right to choose their own way and live how they want, kind of like now?).

Sort of like the one quote "Those who make peaceful change impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
or
"when they make change through the ballot impossible, change through the bullet becomes inevitable"

or any of a thousand variations.

I don't think that came out the way I think I wanted it to, I'm not good with putting thoughts into words.

For the FBI guys who are reading this.

I CAME IN PEACE AND IN PEACE I SHALL REMAIN!!!!

Mesh Posted: Wed Mar 15 10:30:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Also, I am excited for this movie. I'll brave the crowds(oh the dreaded crowds, on a normal day they'd drive me insane). I'll probably go to the earliest showing on Sunday, because lot's of people will still be sleeping and hungover from the night before, and still others will be in church, and others still will be out at IHOP for brunch with their devil-in--disguise in-laws.

DanSRose Posted: Wed Mar 15 18:39:05 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This quote from V always reminded of some thread that was around here once upon a time:

"People should not be afraid of their government. A government should be afraid of it people."

mat_j Posted: Mon Mar 20 10:11:02 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
> In the 18th century American Patriots were considered terrorists by the British.

It's a fact! Americans are all born of terrorists, australians are all born of criminals and Britain herself has long been a haven for people fleeing the persecution of transvestitism on the continent.

mat_j Posted: Mon Mar 20 10:11:29 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  PS V foir Vendetta the comic book is supoib!

addi Posted: Mon Mar 20 10:14:39 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>It's a fact! Americans are all born of terrorists, australians are all born of criminals and Britain herself has long been a haven for people fleeing the persecution of transvestitism on the continent.

so what are the Welsh born of?

sweet p Posted: Mon Mar 20 15:48:25 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  V is also for Vernal Equinox.
Happy Spring everyone :)

Kira Posted: Mon Mar 20 16:45:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mesh said:
>For the FBI guys who are reading this.
>
>I CAME IN PEACE AND IN PEACE I SHALL REMAIN!!!!

I think we should give our FBI/CIA guys names. They've been with us a long time and we ought to acknowledge them, even if they won't acknowledge that we acknowledged them.

FBI Guy #1 will be Jose.

FBI Guy #2 will be Cecil.

CIA Guy will be Everette Winston Lee.

There you go guys. Now we all know each other.

mat_j Posted: Mon Mar 20 18:25:05 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>mat_j said:
>
>>It's a fact! Americans are all born of terrorists, australians are all born of criminals and Britain herself has long been a haven for people fleeing the persecution of transvestitism on the continent.
>
>so what are the Welsh born of?

I supose it would have to be a brand of transvestitism considering Wales is in Britain.
Scots have their skirts
English have they stockings under pinstrip trousers
Welsh...... Probably something to do with Rugby clubs, cider, balloons for boobs and a terrible feeling the morning after regarding the striptease you did for those other guys.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]