Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

President signs law that failed to pass
DanSRose Posted: Sun Mar 19 01:14:20 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Congressman_writes_White_House_Did_President_0315.html
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20060310.html

There is no way to justify this. None.

addi Posted: Sun Mar 19 07:25:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just one of several things that aren't justified by this administration, but you already know my opinion on that.

Regarding the recently passed Patriot Act Robert Byrd said this:

"The erosion of freedom rarely comes as an all-out frontal assault,"..."Rather, it is a gradual, noxious creeping cloaked in secrecy and glossed over by reassurances of greater security."

That quote could have been taken right out of "V for Vendetta".

Fear has taken over our country and this president has used it to his political advantage

addi Posted: Sun Mar 19 21:03:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know if any of you are into watching 60 minutes. I caught a segment tonight that was very disturbing. It was about a top weather scientist for NASA and how his reports were/are being heavily censored by the white house regarding his findings on global warming. To top it all off it wasn't even a scientist doing the censoring. The guy was an ex petroleum lobbiest that Bush put in that position. He's gone now...to take an executive position with Exon...but the censoring continues.

Just when I think this administration can't do anything more to piss me off they manage to do something that really pisses me off...and it should piss off all of you because it's not just america that will feel the effects of melting polar ice caps years from now...it's the entire world.
We need to stop being so passive and apathetic about the dangerous man leading our country to hell in a hand basket

: (

Posted: Mon Mar 20 03:47:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>...and it should piss off all of you because it's not just america that will feel the effects of melting polar ice caps years from now...it's the entire world.
>We need to stop being so passive and apathetic about the dangerous man leading our country to hell in a hand basket
>
>: (

It does bother me; I think it bothers a lot of people. I'm only american by fluke, and as a second citizenship, but it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt a whole lot to see what's happening in the political spectrum.

This isn't a right vs. left thing. This is a common sense thing.

The only thing though, addi, is that this seems like too big a problem to be tackled. It seems like it's something that will lead to more suffering if we try to do something about it, even.

I'm not terribly pessimistic, I don't believe, it's just that this is in a perspective that seems terribly bleak to people.

(going-off-topic o'clock)

Maybe it is just the perspective, though. It's like looking at the population of the world living on less than a dollar a day (1,300,000,000). Seems hopeless, right? Utterly absurd how many people that is?

Then, consider it in this light: the assets of the top three billionaires in the world equals the GNP of the 48 worst-off countries in the world, home of those 1.3 billion people.

Or, a donation of 1% of the income of the top 200 richest people in the world would guarantee universal public elementary education for every person on earth.

Things seem more plausible in that light, don't they? I think so. I'm sure it's up for disagreement.

So, yeah. maybe it's a perspective issue. I don't know. I sure am sleepy.

addi Posted: Mon Mar 20 07:07:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:

>This isn't a right vs. left thing. This is a common sense thing.

Precisely!

>The only thing though, addi, is that this seems like too big a problem to be tackled. It seems like it's something that will lead to more suffering if we try to do something about it, even.

I admit I'm haunted with the same feelings, Crim. Sometimes it all seems like too much and I get tempted to throw my hands up, say "fuck it all", and retreat into a mindset that says I can't do a thing about it, so I'm just going to "break out the booze and have a ball".

But then I start thinking about the consequences of giving up. What it would mean for the future of my son, and for so many of you here that will face life long after I'm history. And the thought of not trying now..of quitting...makes me sick.

In many respects I'm becoming more pessimistic as I get older, but somewhere deep down inside me my optimism still burns bright. It may be really naive, but I still want to believe in the basic goodness of humans and our ability to right the ship and make the world a better place.

FN Posted: Mon Mar 20 07:44:25 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>and it should piss off all of you because it's not just america that will feel the effects of melting polar ice caps years from now...it's the entire world.

We're (as in the non-americans) aren't the ones who're voting, I don't see how it would matter if the whole world was pissed off, hasn't stopped the US from doing anything before now has it.

Also, I read something about the US and UK starting to work together on new nukes, breaking the non-proliferation treaty, anybody got any more info on that?

addi Posted: Mon Mar 20 08:03:07 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>We're (as in the non-americans) aren't the ones who're voting, I don't see how it would matter if the whole world was pissed off, hasn't stopped the US from doing anything before now has it.

I'm sorry if I implied you could do a damn thing about it. I just meant it should piss you off

: )

FN Posted: Mon Mar 20 09:09:15 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You failed

addi Posted: Mon Mar 20 09:24:43 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>You failed to take into account my mental inflexibility

Yes, I did

: )

DanSRose Posted: Mon Mar 20 18:30:00 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://topatoco.com/snakes.htm
The hoodie is awesome

DanSRose Posted: Mon Mar 20 18:33:47 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Awww snakes on a plane.
That was s'pposed to go on the thread.
Christophe said:
>
>We're (as in the non-americans) aren't the ones who're voting, I don't see how it would matter if the whole world was pissed off

This where I was getting a bit peeved at Christophe.

>hasn't stopped the US from doing anything before now has it.

And this is where my breakfast yogurt came out of my nose.

This is why I brought up V For Vendetta before. Is this the time for an actual revolution? Should we be pissed off enough now?
aww snakes on a plane.

Posted: Mon Mar 20 21:58:41 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>This is why I brought up V For Vendetta before. Is this the time for an actual revolution? Should we be pissed off enough now?
>aww snakes on a plane.

totally snakes on a plane. totally SOAP.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]