Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

suicide
Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Apr 10 15:20:52 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  what are peoples thougts?

FN Posted: Mon Apr 10 15:46:41 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Some should do it

Ed Posted: Mon Apr 10 17:06:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In most cases, it's selfish.

FN Posted: Mon Apr 10 17:29:07 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What isn't.

FN Posted: Mon Apr 10 17:29:55 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>What isn't.

+ the fact that people percieve it as being selfish is selfish in itself

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Apr 10 17:54:55 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Christophe said:
>>What isn't.
>
>+ the fact that people percieve it as being selfish is selfish in itself

lmao....

Another question:

Has anyone had a friend/relative commit suicide?

choke Posted: Mon Apr 10 18:19:03 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Suicide is selfish when it leaves a lot of open ends. I think if you are very ill or in a death camp or mentally uncomfortable or whatever and want to die then sure, whatever floats your boat. But I think to commit suicide without letting anyone know what's in your head, or why you're doing it -BEFOREHAND- is very selfish. It leaves a lot of people blaming themselves. Also death is a huge shake up, no matter how it's done. Of course it's going to suck for all involved. I just think one of the worst things about deaths like that is a lack of closure. You never really know for sure if you could have prevented it, or if you contributed to it, or what they thought about life at all. You can't very well say they had a meaningful life or a peaceful end, you have to face facts and say wow, this person really didn't want to live. And that's not what you want people saying at your funeral.

I had a friend attempt suicide once and when I visited her in hospital I remember being so afraid she wouldn't be a person anymore. I just held her in my head as this fearful entity that I couldn't look in the eye or ever talk to about normal stuff ever again. Thankfully, I got over that as soon as she said hello, but still to make a decision like that and act on it seems to instantly seperate you from nature, if only for a little while.

Posted: Mon Apr 10 18:52:04 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's for the weak.

It's for the Micronesians.

It's for teenagers seeking attention.

It's selfish.

It's pointless.

And all sorts of other comments that I have no right to say, as I have no idea what it's like to be in the shoes of somebody who goes through what it takes to make suicide seem plausible.

---------
On a semi-related point: has anybody read The Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell? Specifically, with regards to the Micronesian trend in youth suicides? very interesting.

sweet p Posted: Mon Apr 10 19:36:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I used to think it was something very selfish. The idea of having a loved one do something like that to themselves made me angry and scared and all those great things. I really couldn't even begin to understand what it all meant.

Then, I had to deal closely with it. When I first heard about my close friend's suicide, it was like a smack in the face - I was shocked but the intensity of that shock lasted a couple of seconds and I quickly felt sad and angry and confused and a lot of things put together that made up one big feeling I've never felt before.

After the general shock and as I was able to sit back and think about what it meant, I realised I wasn't angry at all. Being around and speaking with his family made it difficult to form my own feelings and opinions. But finally, at the interment was when my thoughts were clearest. I was extremely sad but what I felt the most was sorry for him. During the previous days, my sympathy had become a sort of empathy [maybe even forgiveness?] that I never knew before. Having always thought a certain way about suicide it was a strange feeling for me to be there, understanding him.

I am not really sure what I have just prattled on about..I am still not exactly sure what materialized inside of me there..but those are my "thoughts", since you asked.

DanSRose Posted: Mon Apr 10 20:06:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It would be selfish if the person doing it was thinking about how to get back at people or if they do because they think they are center of their universe.

But that's not the case. It's a level of torment to be perpetually in that has no outlet. None save perspective, but when you are in the middle of the storm you can never see your way out.

Crim said:
>And all sorts of other comments that I have no right to say, as I have no idea what it's like to be in the shoes of somebody who goes through what it takes to make suicide seem plausible.

Damn straight.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Apr 10 21:05:41 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>But that's not the case. It's a level of torment to be perpetually in that has no outlet.

yeah..... even the outlets will stop working, eventually

>None save perspective, but when you are in the middle of the storm you can never see your way out.

sometimes even the perspective doesn't help

>Crim said:
>>And all sorts of other comments that I have no right to say, as I have no idea what it's like to be in the shoes of somebody who goes through what it takes to make suicide seem plausible.

which makes me wonder why people who are selfish call suicide selfish. if someone is in pain- severe pain- and they have done the therapy route, talked to friends or support people, and still feel that way.... isn't that disrespectful of the rest of us to hold them back? if it was a thought out decision, not a random act then what?

maybeitwillwork Posted: Mon Apr 10 23:39:51 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Suicide, I wouldn't say tht it's selfish, but it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Yes I know that's been said before, but it's true.

I get angry at people who have tried to kill them sleves or are thinking about it. Just because I know that they are smarter than that.
But I feel sorry for the ones who managed to kill themselves.

Ed Posted: Tue Apr 11 01:05:49 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My sister's "friend's" babies' daddy hung himself on Christmas, about five years ago.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Tue Apr 11 01:30:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ed said:
>My sister's "friend's" babies' daddy hung himself on Christmas, about five years ago.

That's horrible...

Ahriman Posted: Tue Apr 11 06:32:00 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My Dad on Feb. 13

addi Posted: Tue Apr 11 07:12:47 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>My Dad on Feb. 13

: (

what a tragic thing to deal with, Ahriman. I'm so sorry

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]