Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

IMing Differences :-/
addi Posted: Fri Apr 21 08:38:35 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.livescience.com/technology/050301_internet_language.html

The most interesting part of this article to me was the section on multi-tasking. When I'm doing an IM chat with someone I get really uncomfortable if I have one than one chat going. I feel like I can't fully concentrate on the person I'm talking to if I have to divide my time between two or more ongoing chats. I've also learned that if I discover the person I'm talking to is carrying on multiple IM chats it pisses me off. It strikes me as rude...which I think has a lot to do with my generation, my cultural values, and my own inability to master IM multi-tasking. I know it's normal for teens these days to have several conversations going and not think anything of it.

So on those rare occations that I'm actually signed on to MSN and I don't respond to someone trying to start a conversation with me...don't take it personal. It's either because I'm working and worried about getting caught, or I'm already talking with someone and can't handle the pressure of two conversations....or maybe I just don't want to talk to you :-)

*The body of the article deals with some general differences found between male and female IMers.

FN Posted: Fri Apr 21 09:14:42 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I usually have 3-5 conversations going at a time.

Depends on how much I feel like talking, during peaks it goes up to over 10, but that only happens very rarely.

Also, if I'm really getting into a conversation with somebody they're put in hierarchies of who I'll answer first and who I'll spend the most time on.

On the other hand, with a gf for example, I don't like it when it takes, I don't know, over a minute to so, for her to answer every time because it gives the impression that the other ppl come first, but that might just be me

choke Posted: Fri Apr 21 14:36:05 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>
>Also, if I'm really getting into a conversation with somebody they're put in hierarchies of who I'll answer first and who I'll spend the most time on.
>
>

I know me and Meg are at the top of that list.

I talk to many people at once, but when I get tired and stuff I usually put them in the same conversation. And see what happens. Sometimes they fight, sometimes they get along. Either way it's more interesting for me and I'm expanding their horizons.

The end.

jennemmer Posted: Fri Apr 21 14:45:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I rarely have more than one conversation going at once but that's mostly because I don't IM much. I'm not very good at small talk and never know how to start a conversation if I don't have a reason. That isn't to say I'm not interested in getting to know all of you better, I'm just bad at it.

choke Posted: Fri Apr 21 14:48:16 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:
>I rarely have more than one conversation going at once but that's mostly because I don't IM much. I'm not very good at small talk and never know how to start a conversation if I don't have a reason. That isn't to say I'm not interested in getting to know all of you better, I'm just bad at it.

Aw. I'm bad at it too, but it's in the way that I'm either far too personal to get things rolling or the conversation stops at "Hey"

Mesh Posted: Fri Apr 21 15:07:45 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have a simple solution. It's called:

Don't ever sign in.

beetlebum Posted: Sat Apr 22 13:56:46 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:

>
>I know me and Meg are at the top of that list.
>
haha! :D

(how are you?)

addi Posted: Sat Apr 22 15:13:04 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  doesn't it bug any of you if you're chatting with someone and it takes them a long time to respond because they're responding to 3 other different people in chats going on at the same time?

I must really be old school. I want to be focused only on the person I'm talking to at that moment....and I want them to be focused on what I'm saying as well.
I wonder if there's such a thing as IM ettiquette? :-)

beetlebum Posted: Sat Apr 22 15:40:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>doesn't it bug any of you if you're chatting with someone and it takes them a long time to respond because they're responding to 3 other different people in chats going on at the same time?
>
>I must really be old school. I want to be focused only on the person I'm talking to at that moment....and I want them to be focused on what I'm saying as well.
>I wonder if there's such a thing as IM ettiquette? :-)

no, i agree. i wouldn't expect my friends to turn away from me in real life to talk to other people and just ignore me whenever convenient; why would i expect that online?

Mesh Posted: Sat Apr 22 16:17:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>doesn't it bug any of you if you're chatting with someone and it takes them a long time to respond because they're responding to 3 other different people in chats going on at the same time?
>
>

I agree as well, good Sir.

choke Posted: Mon Apr 24 16:16:29 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>choke said:
>
>>
>>I know me and Meg are at the top of that list.
>>
>haha! :D
>
>(how are you?)
>
>
I'm great :D Except my eyes hurt. Does anyone know if having bad headaches and not being able to move your eyes too far to either side or focus very well for pain is a temporary thing? It's only started over the past 4 days... I love that I get medical advice online.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]