Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

God
Cherry_Moon Posted: Fri Apr 21 11:52:16 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What if God were one of us? Would he/she know he/she were God? Would god "try" the human experience to see what it's like to be one of us? To see all the shit humans deal with? If that were so- if could were one of us- then who does God pray to? Even if he/she isn't one of us- who does God pray to?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Fri Apr 21 11:53:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>If that were so- if could were one of us- then who does God pray to?

*god could be/were

Beep Posted: Fri Apr 21 13:48:58 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  it's usually accepted that god is a being greater than which nothing can be concieved. it's better to know what life is like than to not, so he knows already. if that makes any sense... read it through a couple of times..
if he's there at all that is.

praying is glorifying god, and god glorifies himself constantly if he's god, but without vanity, cause he's god.
meh, i find these kind of questions pointless, cause it doesn't help with anything, nor can it get you any actual knowledge of god.

choke Posted: Fri Apr 21 14:33:23 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think the point of god is that he knows everything.
He couldn't very well be god unless he knew he was god. Unless his subconscious mind was god and did all the god stuff while he was sleeping.

Mesh Posted: Fri Apr 21 16:10:49 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Kings%202:23-24;&version=65;

God is having way too much fun up in Heaven directing things like that.

Ed Posted: Fri Apr 21 19:30:42 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>I think the point of god is that he knows everything.

>He couldn't very well be god unless he knew he was god. Unless his subconscious mind was god and did all the god stuff while he was sleeping.

Or maybe if it was done by accident.

And why must this god person be perfect and omniscient anyway?

DanSRose Posted: Fri Apr 21 23:06:02 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  From Neil Gaiman's American Gods (does this have it's own page? 'Cause it should)

I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in a impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn't even know I'm alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise and sheer blind luck.

(this is the full quote http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/American_Gods#Chapter_12 )

zander83 Posted: Fri Apr 21 23:27:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Because of the timeless nature of God(i.e. all knowing implies knowing all events past/present/future) I would assume God must exist outside the universe we exist in(unless you ascribe to the theory(cartesian i think) that the universe is a part of god...). As so, I can't imagine god existeing among us...also theres the reconciliation of God's supposed perfection and how it relates to being human(imperfect human...)

This is why you should always do your philosophy finals high, for you young'uns... not drunk... it screws up your grammar...

I am the king of underwear

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Apr 22 08:35:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you mean . . .elvis isn't god ?
aw c'mon, you're kidding right ?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sat Apr 22 10:17:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mesh i'm scared of clowns! *hides*

your avatar is creeping me out

addi Posted: Sat Apr 22 11:10:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  God.........

sometimes you just don't come through

Beep Posted: Sun Apr 23 10:50:43 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think that if there is a God, it's far more likely to be a God like Aristotles.
one that doens't care about us (not in a bad way, if you get what i mean), and that he has no relationship to us other than creating us. i cannot believe in a god that cares, because if he is perfect why would he? what possible reason could there be, he is perfect already, so there is nothing i can do for him.

addi Posted: Sun Apr 23 12:26:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:
>I think that if there is a God, it's far more likely to be a God like Aristotles.

God is alive and well and residing in Belgium. Sometimes he even posts here under the pseudonym Christophe....
he chose that name because it has "Christ" in it and thought it would be kinda cool.

FN Posted: Sun Apr 23 13:08:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In my name!

I've been spotted again.

If only my omnipotence was enough to get into the gt servers and erase this treachery

HSolo216 Posted: Sun Apr 23 13:38:46 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:
>i cannot believe in a god that cares, because if he is perfect why would he?
>

Does perfection erase emotion? If you were able to perfect yourself, do you think you would stop caring for those that you love?

I think if perfection was attainable, you would no longer have to worry about yourself and could spend every moment loving others.

FN Posted: Sun Apr 23 13:54:09 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hsolo, you can stop pondering.

I am god. And jebus.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun Apr 23 15:39:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  HSolo216 said:
>I think if perfection was attainable, you would no longer have to worry about yourself and could spend every moment loving others.

yay to that. that would be nice. i'd like to go back to a simpler time when there was nothing to cheapen love as america has.

HSolo216 Posted: Sun Apr 23 16:37:17 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Hsolo, you can stop pondering.
>
>I am god. And jebus.

Ok, thanks. You make it so much easier for me.

Beep Posted: Sun Apr 23 16:41:48 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  that's not quite what i mean Han. i mean what good am i to a perfect god? what purpose could i have? and why would he need me? am i just here in order to prove that God is the best so he can love me unconditionally, that doesn't seem a very good existence or reason for worshiping him.

HSolo216 Posted: Sun Apr 23 16:59:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:
>that's not quite what i mean Han. i mean what good am i to a perfect god? what purpose could i have? and why would he need me? am i just here in order to prove that God is the best so he can love me unconditionally, that doesn't seem a very good existence or reason for worshiping him.

I understand your reasoning. God does not need me. There is nothing that I can do for Him that someone else cannot.

What do you consider a very good existence?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Apr 24 10:12:19 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  HSolo216 said:
>What do you consider a very good existence?

long quiet days of simple work and the love of your family and close friends. Being close to the earth. simple love and devotion to family and friends is a good life.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Apr 24 10:55:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>HSolo216 said:
>>What do you consider a very good existence?
>
>long quiet days of simple work and the love of your family and close friends. Being close to the earth. simple love and devotion to family and friends is a good life.
>
what about dogs ?
Ya gotta have a dog.

choke Posted: Mon Apr 24 16:24:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  We are god. All of our collected consciousness, in fragments. And when the world explodes and we all die, the fragments will go from our dead bodies together into a big ball of consciousness, capable of creating a new world.

The end.

P.S Does anyone know of any kind of theory written about this? I am very interested in it and am wondering if anyone thinks the same way I do.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Apr 24 16:26:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>We are god. All of our collected consciousness, in fragments. And when the world explodes and we all die, the fragments will go from our dead bodies together into a big ball of consciousness, capable of creating a new world.
>
The world is gonna esplode ?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Apr 24 22:59:37 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>what about dogs ?
>Ya gotta have a dog.

hells yeah! dogs are great people too...
dogs are a mans best friend.
on the other hand a scruffy puppy is a girls...

Ed Posted: Mon Apr 24 23:06:46 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  who's scruffy lookin'?

Beep Posted: Tue Apr 25 13:28:13 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Choke: there are a couple of theories like that, 'steady state' springs to mind, where energy and matter are not ever destroyed, just changed, when our existence ends out matter just changes into a different form.
i suppose the idea of us all being God is a little like the idea of Durkheim. He thought that God and religion came out of our subconcious and the collective subconcious of society. any attribute that the society values is made into an ideal attribute held by the God/religion. in this way the god is created by us in order to shape and help control society (not in any malicious way, but subconciously) in order to try to keep benefiting it's members. With a bit of tweaking that could fit what you're on about.
thirdly there's the pantheist kind of view, the name litterally means 'God is all' and 'all is God'. God is part of his creation and the creation is part of God. when we do bad or evil happens God suffers.
your view strikes me of a sort of amalgamation of these three..

Heh, i consider a very good existence one without the need for a God, or for a religion, to be dictated by your own knowledge understanding and reasoning. to do what you see fit, not because of a God, or of a reward of an afterlife, but simply becuase it is what you think you should do, heaven, hell or no. I think a good existence is to try and find out all you can, to never stop questioning anything or everything and to try and find happiness and love from friends and lovers, and (if you see fit) to give it back.

choke Posted: Tue Apr 25 14:22:05 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>>
>The world is gonna esplode ?

*chuckles* Of course, silly.

choke Posted: Tue Apr 25 14:51:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:a lot of helpful stuff

Thanks Beep. I think the one I identify most with out of those is the steady state one. I'll look them all up anyway

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]