Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

The New "General Quotes" Thread
Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 26 04:32:21 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just in the case you come by, or remember, a certain quote you'd like to share with all of us here at GT, but don't want to seek out and post in an old thread(I know right, did MESH really just say something about not posting in an old thread? What a kook!)

Oh Dear Gods, look at me. I can feel a ramble coming on. I'd best stop myself now.

I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
-Rudyard Kipling(what a magnificent name. It just sort of rooolllllssss off the tongue [interesting note, when I very first came across the word tongue in a book, I thought it was pronounced tun-goo] but I digress, people. Bottom line: funny name.}

I don't like the name of this thread.

addi Posted: Wed Apr 26 07:29:01 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  nothing to do with the thread, but I just realized after reading years of your posts, meshie, that you have a sort of stream of consciousness way of expressing yourself here.

It's weally wefreshing, if not somewhat hard to follow on occasion : )

I am much more calculated in what I write...the old teacher coming out in me, editing and re-editing what I write.

Kira Posted: Wed Apr 26 11:48:10 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  For years I worked for FedEx doing software development for our field locations.  That meant flying all over the US on our aircraft, jumpseating the way Tom Cruise's character did in the movie Castaway.  Some of those jumpseats were back with the cargo, as Tom's was, but some were in the cockpit.  We would board the aircraft around 2 in the morning, and fly into distant cities in the pre-dawn hours.  One night I was sleeping, strapped into the jumpseat directly behind the captain of a DC-10.  The flight crews were generally not eager to fraternize with the hired help-they were a social group unto themselves.  So, it was particularly intriguing to me that night to be woken by the captain tugging at my leg, saying, "Wake up, you've got to see this."  What I saw, I was completely unprepared for.  I saw fire, like water.  Fire was running up the cockpit windows in rivulets like water runs up your windshield when you are traveling at high speed in heavy rain.  The entire cabin was lit up, and we all sat and watched in awed silence.  I finally asked them what it was.  "St. Elmo's Fire" was the answer.  Lightning on the nose of the plane. Fire like water.  I've read scientific explanations, and it isn't that we don't understand the science, but no explanation really does that experience justice.  There are profoundly mysterious things in this universe.
-Rev. Joseph P. Murphy

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Apr 26 16:48:58 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "Poverty is uncomfortable; but nine times out of ten the best thing that can happen to a young man is to be tossed overboard and compelled to sink or swim." —James Garfield

"A man who never has gone to school may steal from a freight car, but if he has a university education, he may steal from the whole railroad." —Theodore Roosevelt

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." —Edmund Burke

Mesh Posted: Thu Apr 27 01:35:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>nothing to do with the thread, but I just realized after reading years of your posts, meshie, that you have a sort of stream of consciousness way of expressing yourself here.
>

Is that liberal-speak for "your posts are puerile, irrelevant, tomfooleryish pieces of shite?"

Because if it is, mister, you are spot on.

No, I'm just joshin' ya. I know what you're saying :) And gracias.

Mesh Posted: Sun Apr 30 04:23:09 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In the world to come, I shall not be asked, "Why were you not Moses?" I shall be asked, "Why were you not Zusya?

Rabbi Zusya

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

-Epicurus

I think I posted that one before.

Mesh Posted: Thu May 4 02:35:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Utter motherfucking failure, you nigger.

Mesh Posted: Thu May 4 19:04:02 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

gg dr seuss

sweet p Posted: Mon Jun 5 23:52:57 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  At bottom every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

addi Posted: Tue Jun 6 07:33:21 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
>At bottom every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.
>.
>.
>Friedrich Nietzsche

We are snowflakes; uniquely created in the heavens and released to drift gloriously downward, until we reach our inevitable resting place and melt to join the sea of memories of those that fell before us.

*thanks, P..you inspired me this morning

: )

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 6 09:08:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  There is a logic of language and a logic of mathematics. The former is supple and lifelike, it follows our experience. The latter is abstract and rigid, more ideal. The latter is perfectly necessary, perfectly reliable: the former is only sometimes reliable and hardly ever systematic. But the logic of mathematics achieves necessity at the expense of living truth, it is less real than the other, although more certain. It achieves certainty by a flight from the concrete into abstraction. Doubtless, to an idealist, this would seem to be a more perfect reality. I am not an idealist. The logic of the poet—that is, the logic of language or the experience itself—develops the way a living organism grows: it spreads out towards what it loves, and is heliotropic, like a plant.

- Thomas Merton

FN Posted: Tue Jun 6 09:38:27 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Where freedom is real, equality is the passion of the masses. Where equality is real, freedom is the passion of a small minority.

Eric Hoffer, The True Believer Section 29 (1951)

I doubt if the oppressed ever fight for freedom. They fight for pride and for power -- power to oppress others. The oppressed want above all to imitate their oppressors; they want to retaliate.

Eric Hoffer , The True Believer (1951)

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth - communism is the equal distribution of poverty.

All reformers, however strict their social conscience, live in houses just as big as they can pay for.

Logan Pearsall Smith

Punishment is now unfashionable... because it creates moral distinctions among men, which, to the democratic mind, are odious. We prefer a meaningless collective guilt to a meaningful individual responsibility.

Thomas Szasz

Abolition of a woman's right to abortion, when and if she wants it, amounts to compulsory maternity: a form of rape by the State.

Edward Abbey

The urge to escape our real self is also an urge to escape the rational and the obvious. The refusal to see ourselves as we are develops a distaste for facts and cold logic. There is no hope for the frustrated in the actual and the possible. Salvation can come to them only from the miraculous, which seeps through a crack in the iron wall of inexorable reality. They ask to be deceived. What Stresemann said of the Germans is true of the frustrated in general: "[They] pray not only for [their] daily bread, but also for [their] daily illusion." The rule seems to be that those who find difficulty in deceiving themselves are easily deceived by others. They are easily pursuaded and led.

Eric Hoffer, The True Believer Section 59 (1951)

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

George Orwell, 1984

Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?… Has it ever occurred to your, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?…The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking—not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.

George Orwell, 1984

There is a tendency to judge a race, a nation or any distinct group by its least worthy members. Though manifestly unfair, this tendency has some justification. For the character and destiny of a group are often determined by its inferior elements.

Eric Hoffer, The True Believer: Thoughts On The Nature Of Mass Movements

As long as society's leaders recognize resentment for what it is, it can do no harm, even though it will perpetuate the poverty of those who nurture it. Resentment is utterly impotent. Those whose thinking is dominated by envy and hatred of achievers will never accomplish anything on their own, except perhaps a random violence that strikes the innocent far more often than the intended victim. They cannot even start a revolution: For that they need a vanguard of capable by warped and brutal ideologues. Resentment is nothing more than a childish complaint emanating from an adult body, and such complaints amount to nothing unless those who are in a position to do something about them feel and obligation to do so - when resentment is confused with morality.

Robert Scheaffer

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

Oscar Wilde

The heresy of heresies was common sense. And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right. For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable -- what then?

George Orwell, 1984

Relaties zijn als stenen die je met de blote hand tot klei wil kneden. Van lieverlede gebruik je nu en dan een voorhamer. (relationships are like stones which you want to mold with your bare hand into clay. you're better off using a sledge hammer)

Herman Brusselmans

Waaraan wil je dat ik denk als ik naar je kijk, mijn lief? Als je wil kan ik denken aan mijn liefde voor jou. Mooie gedachten. (What do you want me to think of when I look at you, my love? If you can want I can think of my love for you. Nice thoughts.)

Herman Brusselmans - Dood Verveling Vrouwen (Death Women Boredom)

Hebban olla uogala nestas bigunnan hinase hic enda thu
wat unbidan we nu

(all the birds have started their nests except me and you
what are we then waiting for)

Een Vlaamse monnik schreef deze eerste bewaarde versregels in het Oud-Nederlands (ca. 1100) (first written old-dutch line by a flemish monk in 1100)

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

(I hate and love. Why I do so, perhaps you may ask.
I know not, but I feel it, and I am in torment.)

Caio Valerius Catullus

She was one in a million, so there's five more just in New South Wales.

The Whitlams

Van een stront kun je alleen maar zeggen dat hij stinkt als je eraan geroken hebt. (of a pile of crap you can only say that it stinks if you smelled it)

Herman Brusselmans

The man who can't dance thinks the band is no good.

Polish Proverb

De soep wordt nooit zo warm gegeten als ze wordt opgediend. (the soup is never eaten as hot as it is served)

Wie het orkest wil dirigeren moet het publiek de rug toekeren. (he who wants to lead the orchestra has to turn his back to the audience)

May you get what you wish for.

Old Chinese Curse

After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done.

Rast ich, so rost ich. (When I rest, I rust.)

German proverb

People ask stupid questions for a reason.

Lotteries, a tax upon imbeciles.

Count Camillo Benso Di Cavour

Ik heb niks tegen homo's zolang ze maar van mijn wijf afblijven. (I don't have anything against homosexuals, as long as they keep their hands of my woman)

Herman Brusselmans

Conscience is the inner voice that warns us that someone may be looking.

H.L. Mencken

People who think they know everything are particularly bothersome to those of us who do.

I'm not going to lie to you Marge... Goodbye.

Homer Simpson

[Watching cheerleaders who get undressed] It appears my wee wee has been stricken with rigor mortis.

Stewie, Family Guy

Overal waar ik kom luidt de leus: hij kwam, hij zag, en wat hij zag deed hem pijn, en tegen zijn zin overwon hij. (everywhere I come one hears the credo: he came, he saw, and what he saw hurt him, and against his better knowledge he conquered)

Herman Brusselmans

Geef al uw geld aan de arme mensen... als zij hetzelfde doen heb je het morgen misschien al terug. (give all your money to the poor people, if they do the same you might have it back by tomorrow)

Herman Brusselmans

Mesh Posted: Sun Jul 2 17:20:39 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity. ~Seneca

It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants.
William Cobbett.

The people who are regarded as moral luminaries are those who forego ordinary pleasures themselves and find compensation in interfering with the pleasures of others.
Bertrand Russell

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Krishnamurti

Kira Posted: Sun Nov 8 00:09:21 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The fish trap exists because of the fish; once you have got the fish, you can forget about the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit; Once you have the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning; once you have got the meaning, you forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so that I can have a word with him?

Zhuang Zi

sweet p Posted: Sun Nov 8 10:29:12 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira, I love that..

Puck Posted: Wed Nov 11 20:48:19 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "Tell us we will die like dogs"
"You WILL die like dogs..."
"No! We will fight like lions!"

"I like these guys! They are funny guys! Let's kill ONE of them..."

Kira Posted: Tue May 17 22:34:37 2011 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The feeling of being hurried is not usually the result of living a full life and having no time. It is on the contrary born of a vague fear that we are wasting our life. When we do not do the one thing we ought to do, we have no time for anything else -- we are the busiest people in the world. -Eric Hoffer

From an old book about fencing:

I can almost hear people say, 'Oh, this is all rubbish; I'm not going to be attacked; life would not be worth living if one had to be always 'on guard' in this way.' Well, considering that this world, from the time we are born to the time we die, is made up of uncertainties, and that we are never really secure from attack at any moment of our lives, it does seem worth while to devote a little attention to the pursuit of a science, which is not only healthful and most fascinating, but which may, in a second of time, enable you to turn a defeat into a victory, and save yourself from being mauled and possibly killed in a fight which was none of your own making. Added to all this, science gives a consciousness of power and ability to assist the weak and defenceless, which ought to be most welcome to the mind of any man. Though always anxious to avoid anything like 'a row,' there are times when it may be necessary to interfere for the sake of humanity, and how much more easy is it to make that interference dignified and effective if you take your stand with a certainty that you can, if pushed to extreme measures, make matters very warm indeed for the aggressor? The consciousness of power gives you your real authority, and with it you are far more likely to be calm and to gain your point than you would be without the knowledge. Backed up by science, you can both talk and act in a way which is likely to lead to a peaceful solution of a difficulty, whereas, if the science is absent, you dare not, from very uncertainty, use those very words which you know ought to be used on the occasion. -Rowland George Allanson-Winn

coalgoutlet Posted: Wed Oct 3 22:22:03 2012 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The Patriots brian" TARGET="_new">http://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/brian-urlacher-c-20">brian urlacher jersey host the pretty shocking Chicagohttp://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/" TARGET="_new">http://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/">http://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/ a potential SuperBowlsneak peek matchup the AFC East major Patriots jay" TARGET="_new">http://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/jay-cutler-c-32">jay cutler bears willtravelto Chicago to battle against the National Football Conference North majorBearswith a telecast on CBS established to start a four:20 PM ET. Chicago is riding a 5 game profitable streak and boasts among the NFL's leading ranked defenses as they rank 3rd for points allowed. The offense has been sporadic, though superior of late, and ranks 21st in football for scoring. roy" TARGET="_new">http://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/roy-williams-c-23">roy williams bearsboast among the leading kicking teams units in the game. romp past theNew York Jetsfor his NFL-record 26th straight regular-seasonhomewin. jay" TARGET="_new">http://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/jay-cutler-c-32">jay cutler chicago bears have railed against the Patriots forte" TARGET="_new">http://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/matt-forte-c-28">forte bears defense for permitting too many yards this year. This was not the case in the game against theNew York JetsonMonday Night Football. The corners are still vulnerable on this team but Jay Cutler will have a hard time finding his receivers against this Devin" TARGET="_new">http://www.chicagobearsjerseys2012.com/devin-hester-c-38">Devin Hester jersey young defense.

Kira Posted: Thu Oct 4 22:39:28 2012 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Woah.

And I thought the other spam bot was bad.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]