Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Is this stupid or what ?
ifihadahif Posted: Fri May 12 15:22:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Taken from "most ridiculous item of the day" Bill O'Reilly rant:

You know, we're living in crazy times and the paranoia surrounding children is completely off the chart. In Oregon Portland public schools have now banned teeter-totters, tube slides and merry-go-rounds from playgrounds because somebody might get hurt.

In Broward County, Florida, there's a new rule on the playground: no running. In other places dodge ball has been banned and tag is out in Salem, Oregon.

Aren't you glad you're not a kid these days? Might be ridiculous.

casper Posted: Fri May 12 15:34:47 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i don't think i should have to go to work...i might get a papercut...

addi Posted: Fri May 12 15:45:25 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I just broke a nail typing this post

I'm sure I should look into sueing someone

FN Posted: Fri May 12 16:24:43 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What do you expect if as an instituation or teacher you can get the pants sued off of you with a little luck

boondock743 Posted: Fri May 12 19:15:20 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  im in high skool so i dont get recess but that goddamn dogeball rule effects me. its bullshit
ppl need to learn that nothing good comes from protecting ur kid too much
its good to protect them, ur supposed to.
but if u do it to much it gets stupid because they just grow up to be a pussy

FN Posted: Fri May 12 21:27:46 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  boondock743 said:
>im in high skool so i dont get recess but that goddamn dogeball rule effects me. its bullshit
>ppl need to learn that nothing good comes from protecting ur kid too much
>its good to protect them, ur supposed to.
>but if u do it to much it gets stupid because they just grow up to be a pussy

Good to see spelling, grammar and general eloquence aren't neglected.

Perhaps it'll help if you don't get hit on the head as much from now on thanks to the dodgeball rule

ifihadahif Posted: Fri May 12 22:08:03 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  learning to lose is just as important as learning to win, but some assholes think learning to lose will cause you to have low self esteem or some stupid shit like that.
Getting hurt on the playground was an important part of my education as well as anything I learned in the classroom.

choke Posted: Fri May 12 22:15:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Getting hurt on the playground was an important part of my education as well as anything I learned in the classroom.
>
Amen.

DanSRose Posted: Fri May 12 22:41:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This isn't the kids' fault- everyone tries to pin this on the kids. I've seen kids get beaned in the head by baseballs and either skip away or say "That was awesome!"

The teachers are scared because the parents have wormed their way into "protecting" their investments, I mean, children so nothing life afirming or dramatic can happen to them.
That's why church is safe, right?

Asswipe Posted: Fri May 12 23:37:17 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm sorry but "getting hurt on the playground" never taught me a thing. if i ran, tripped, hit my head, banged my shin on the tottering teets, it'd suck, but that wouldn't teach me to not run on the playground. it just sucked.

as far as recess activities, games were banned when i was a kid for being too dangerous. for instance, a game called recess which involved pegging other kids in the ass with a tennis ball. suprisingly, this game lasted longer than you'd imagine. without suicide we had no way of channeling our aggression, but the teachers found other ways of entertaining us: soccer, kick ball, etc. and kids can still play hockey after school if their parents sign the permission slip and cough up a few hundred bucks for padding. and plenty of parents still do.

a lot of schools are changing their playground setups to allow for more creative play. this often means less aggresive, more even-fielded stuff(IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL, HOW DARE THEY!): no more tag across the monkey bars and balance beams. i think it's mostly to craft a generation of sissies who'll stop killing people for oil. imagine that shit. sorry, that was a big leap, but maybe not too big.

Asswipe Posted: Fri May 12 23:38:10 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sorry, that game i mentioned above was called "suicide" not "recess." that'll confuse

addi Posted: Sat May 13 08:28:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  When I was in primary school, back at the turn of the century, the playgrounds were covered in asphalt. We would play tag and roughhouse during recess and it was quite common to head back into the classromm leaving a few chucks of your skin outside.
I don't think this necessarily made me a better person today..it was just something we all had to deal with.

When I was teaching the schools were replacing hard surfaces with grass, woodchips, or some synthetic type of surface to lesson the number of injuries.
I don't think this necessarily made the kids pussies.

What does bother me is the trend I saw over the past few decades that physical excersize is viewed by too many administrators and parents as a waste of the students valuable time. So elementary children are allowed to stand and talk out of the playground. PE class has become a joke in many places, where a handfull of students participate and the rest just goof around. In high school my son's PE hour was used as a study hall for many of the kids. Academics is the priority for me, but it needs to be balanced with physical excersize..so that mental and physical growth is addressed with students.
It's a generalization, but I see SO many overweight and unhealthy young kids these days. Instead of doing activities that build their body, they spend their free time inside playing video games and eating junk food. We are raising a generation of kids that can kick ass playing Halo 3, but can't do one chin up. The connection between physical health and mental heath shouldn't be overlooked.

*I remember the dodge ball days. Man...did I get some bruises :-)

libra Posted: Sat May 13 12:54:45 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my PACS professor told us that only 6 of the 32 million army-ready-aged kids are healthy enough to go...the rest are obese, or have asthma (a new big deal because of air quality)

not that I think that they should all be in the military, but it's sad.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat May 13 13:05:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>my PACS professor told us that only 6 of the 32 million army-ready-aged kids are healthy enough to go...the rest are obese, or have asthma (a new big deal because of air quality)
>
>not that I think that they should all be in the military, but it's sad.
>
That may be true sort of, it depends on how you look at it.
It's obvious that we have an obesity epidemic, but in terms of whether or not you're healthy enough to go in the military, that's not necessarily true.
That's one of the reasons for boot camp.
I was obese when I went in, but not when I came out of boot camp.
The military has certain guidlines concerning obesity when they enlist new recruits. They certainly won't take you if you're morbidly obese, but they will take you if your just 20-25lbs overweight, generally speaking.

Asswipe Posted: Sun May 14 05:43:48 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>>my PACS professor told us that only 6 of the 32 million army-ready-aged kids are healthy enough to go...the rest are obese, or have asthma (a new big deal because of air quality)

are you sure it was 6 out of 36 million and not just 6 out of 36? the requirements are tough but you don't need to sprint a 4.3 forty or even be able to bench press a dumpster.

libra Posted: Sun May 14 13:31:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>libra said:
>>>my PACS professor told us that only 6 of the 32 million army-ready-aged kids are healthy enough to go...the rest are obese, or have asthma (a new big deal because of air quality)
>
>are you sure it was 6 out of 36 million and not just 6 out of 36? the requirements are tough but you don't need to sprint a 4.3 forty or even be able to bench press a dumpster.

6 million of 30-something million. hehe.

Ahriman Posted: Sun May 14 14:30:35 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Senior in high school in New York, we play dodgeball in gym. No problems here. I have a nice big bruise on my right leg from an ultimate frisbee catch that ended with the disc in my hand and my leg smashing the steel door. Got back up and played some more. Play through it.

choke Posted: Sun May 14 16:20:45 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kid I know got a javelin through his leg :D

addi Posted: Sun May 14 17:27:31 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Kid I know got a javelin through his leg :D

I hate it when that happens!

*and don't put smilies after a sentence like that. It made me cringe thinging about it.

Mesh Posted: Mon May 15 09:59:21 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  douchebaggery supreme

Asdf Posted: Wed May 17 20:01:27 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Blame Society,
Society is a whimsical place where money is our god, where freedom is our illusion, and where possessions are our guards.
Where are we headed?

ifihadahif Posted: Wed May 17 20:16:18 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Blame society ?

Which part of society would you blame ?

Why must you place blame anyway ?

Why not just do your part to fix whatever you think is wrong and not waste a lot energy placing blame ?

Asdf Posted: Wed May 17 20:36:26 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In my humble oponion, least concerning my view on what society should be like (not going there 2night). Society itself is the problem, herego how would go about fixing it? Start again, perhaps

Kira Posted: Wed May 17 21:50:58 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Anarchy, then! The capitalist's paradise. Excellent idea. Come on Avi, let's go, carpe diem and all that, no more society for us!

addi Posted: Wed May 17 22:22:17 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Avradaous said:
>Society itself is the problem, herego how would go about fixing it? Start again, perhaps

It wouldn't do any good, my newbie friend. Humans would still be the ones starting over....and we're responsible for the most miraculous unselfish loving acts and the most horrendous ones throughout our history.
Deja vu all over again.

*Anarchy...posed as the cure for society's ills by those clueless about human nature

ifihadahif Posted: Thu May 18 06:52:29 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Avradaous said:
>In my humble oponion, least concerning my view on what society should be like (not going there 2night). Society itself is the problem, herego how would go about fixing it? Start again, perhaps>
>
So are we all about placing blame, yet offering no solutions ?
Sounds vaguely familiar.

addi Posted: Thu May 18 07:06:49 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>So are we all about placing blame, yet offering no solutions ?
>Sounds vaguely familiar.

it should sound familiar...it's the mantra for the right wing conservatives.

"Well Democrats...the white house and the republican controlled congress got the country into this huge mess, but we don't hear you giving us any good solutions for getting out of it...of course even if you did we wouldn't listen."

: )

ifihadahif Posted: Thu May 18 07:44:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah, what about all those great ideas the dems have been coming up with.

addi Posted: Thu May 18 08:06:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  that's rich. they are primarily responsible for creating the problems and then you have the gall to ask why the dems can't fix them.
that's not unlike a teen getting drunk and totaling his car, and then blaming his parents for not coming up with a way to get him new wheels.

and actually a few more intelligent dems have been putting out their ideas on making the best of a bad situation in Iraq. Problem? they don't control either house and have limited power on what gets heard and passed in congress.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu May 18 08:17:18 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>that's rich. they are primarily responsible for creating the problems and then you have the gall to ask why the dems can't fix them.
>that's not unlike a teen getting drunk and totaling his car, and then blaming his parents for not coming up with a way to get him new wheels.
>
That analogy only works if your a dumbass. No offense intended.
Only the dems see the problem as a "totalled car", the conservatives see the reality that things are way better than when Clinton ruled.
The dems are the ones finding fault with every little thing but offer no ideas as to how to fix these imagined problems.
Not to say everything is perfect, but if you were to listen to the mantra of the dems, there is not a single thing in America that is good these days.
Except of course for Hillary, who is moving to center now bracing for her soon-to-be-futile run for the White House. Seems she finds Dubya to be charming and charismatic all of a sudden.

>and actually a few more intelligent dems have been putting out their ideas on making the best of a bad situation in Iraq. Problem? they don't control either house and have limited power on what gets heard and passed in congress.
>
Seems to me that they controlled both houses for most of the second half of the 20th century. To what good ?
It took Reagan to get us out of that mess.

addi Posted: Thu May 18 08:39:23 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>That analogy only works if your a dumbass. No offense intended.

that analogy only doesn't work if you're a dumbass and don't see the logical connection. No offensive intended.

>Only the dems see the problem as a "totalled car", the conservatives see the reality that things are way better than when Clinton ruled.

If you think having a record deficit, as opposed to a government surplus; If you think our global image and world standing is better now; If you think the average joe is better off with skyrocketing health insurance costs and a much higher cost of living with no salary increases to match; If you think we're really "safer" today by creating more terrorists hell bent on our destruction....then it's really pointless to discuss anything with you...because it means facts no longer play any role in your fantasyland worldview.
but i already knew that before I started writing this post : )

ifihadahif Posted: Thu May 18 09:24:16 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>
>>Only the dems see the problem as a "totalled car", the conservatives see the reality that things are way better than when Clinton ruled.
>
>If you think having a record deficit, as opposed to a government surplus; If you think our global image and world standing is better now; If you think the average joe is better off with skyrocketing health insurance costs and a much higher cost of living with no salary increases to match; If you think we're really "safer" today by creating more terrorists hell bent on our destruction....then it's really pointless to discuss anything with you...because it means facts no longer play any role in your fantasyland worldview.
>but i already knew that before I started writing this post : )
>
We've had record deficits before, so what ? They go up and down, we won't have a surplus with Dubya in office, but we sure as hell won't have one with the dems either.
Health insurance ? Hah ! what is your answer for that one ?
If you don't think we are safer today, then facts no longer play any role in your fantasyland worldview . . .

Asdf Posted: Thu May 18 17:25:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>So are we all about placing blame, yet offering no solutions ?
>Sounds vaguely familiar.

Perhaps it should, I merely offered an opionion, or did I misunderstand the dicurserory properties of this thread, perhaps you merely intended to inform us of this information to, to what end exactly, blame is everywhere, u cannot escape that, perhaps you should try to change it then?!

"Judge not, that ye be not judge"... is an abdication of moral responsibility: it is a moral blank check one gives to others in exchange for a moral blank check one expects for oneself. There is no escape from the fact that men have to make choices; so long as men have to make choices, there is no escape from moral values; so long as moral values are at stake, no moral neutrality is possible. To abstain from condemning a torturer, is to become an accesory to the torture and murder of his victims. The moral principle to adopt... is: "Judge, and be prepared to be judged."

Ayn Rand

addi Posted: Thu May 18 17:45:21 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Avradaous said:

>"Judge not, that ye be not judge"... is an abdication of moral responsibility: it is a moral blank check one gives to others in exchange for a moral blank check one expects for oneself.

You tell 'em, Avradaous!
: )

ifihadahif Posted: Thu May 18 18:09:13 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Avradaous said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>So are we all about placing blame, yet offering no solutions ?
>>Sounds vaguely familiar.
>
>Perhaps it should, I merely offered an opionion, or did I misunderstand the dicurserory properties of this thread, perhaps you merely intended to inform us of this information to, to what end exactly, blame is everywhere, u cannot escape that, perhaps you should try to change it then?!
>
The opinion you offered was an opinion about where to place the blame.
And it was a vague one at that.

dicurserory - is that even a word ?

Asdf Posted: Thu May 18 19:02:35 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  m/ bows.
pardon my spelling/"vocab." what meant was the confabulatory....
lets not begin on the wrong foot though,

ifihadahif Posted: Thu May 18 19:13:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Avradaous said:
>m/ bows.
>pardon my spelling/"vocab." what meant was the confabulatory....
>lets not begin on the wrong foot though,
>
No prob, just confuzzled me a bit.

addi Posted: Thu May 18 22:14:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Avradaous said:
>m/ bows.
>pardon my spelling/"vocab." what meant was the confabulatory....
>lets not begin on the wrong foot though,

don't give your spelling errors a second thought. We all (some more, some less) mess up here. If english isn't your first language, as I'm guessing it isn't, then cootchies to you for giving it a go.

*P is gonna regret teaching me that new fun word : )

sweet p Posted: Thu May 18 23:38:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm never posting again.

Kira Posted: Thu May 18 23:53:59 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
>I'm never posting again.

When I read this it was part of a search result and for some reason I took it very seriously. I had to do a double take.

addi Posted: Fri May 19 06:51:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
>I'm never posting again.

now now...p
don't go getting all cootchified on us
:-)

okay...Addi will play nice

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]