Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

┐hable inglÚs?
addi Posted: Mon May 22 17:18:14 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm usually ridiculing our current administration and republican controlled congress, but this is one of those rare times when I just have to stand up and applaud their dedication to today's critical issues.

Last week the senate voted to make english our national language. With all the other non-issues they could be wasting their time on I'm pleased as punch they finally got their priorities right and are working to get this critical law in action!
I have been really worried lately that I might walk into some bakery and ask for a sticky bun and coffee only to hear back from the counter clerk, "Wir sprechen nur Deutsches hier!"....I wouldn't get my sticky bun and there wouldn't have been a damn thing I could have done about it cuz english wasn't our national language.
: (

So this got me to thinking about all the other really really important issues they could tackle next that would make my America a safer and happier place for one and all...

1. Make driving on the right side of the road a national law.
2. Recognise Fahrenheit as our national scale for telling the temperature.
3. Make hot dogs, hamburgers and freedom fries our official national foods (sorry taco lovers).
4. Designate "Fox News" as the national news source to stay informed on all the good things happening in Iraq.
5. Make Evangelical Christianity the official national religion (make sure to include a statement that Jesus was a very light skinned jew).

there must be more : )

FN Posted: Mon May 22 19:12:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Does anybody think it is strange CNN had 2 different teams covering iraq?

1 for the international public, one for the american.

I wonder: why do people need to get 2 versions of a war and not the same?

Also, what's wrong with this picture:

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/international_security_bt/102.php?nid=&id=&pnt=102&lb=brusc

FN Posted: Mon May 22 19:22:00 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've said it before, and I'm saying it again: What's happening here, and this is just my 2 cents, is self-inflicted propaganda and the numbing of critique by use of infotainment.

When you get news that is not objective but leaves stuff out or adds speculation to their reports, people start watching what they like to hear best with all the consequences thereof.

The effect of this with people who watch whichever newsreport has the flashiest pictures...well, do I need to say more?

The biggest threat to "the Western world" today in the long run is subjective media which passes itself off as being objective and ignorant masses being to dumb to see through it (and this goes all ways, left and right, *and nobody is talking about a center*, but nobody questions that very fact either in the US from what I'm seeing, am I wrong?)

What bugs me about this, again, is how stuff like this is pushing the EU and the US further and further away from eachother with russia pumping up its weapon production and relations with china while keeping a low profile for the most part and siding with whoever seems to them to be the most profitable, openly or covertly and actively or silent.

addi Posted: Mon May 22 19:37:23 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>The biggest threat to "the Western world" today in the long run is subjective media which passes itself off as being objective and ignorant masses being to dumb to see through it

that is a problem. I can't speak for other countries because I haven't lived in them, but in America there are a lot of people that have lost the ability to discern between factual news and propoganda. I see it happening a lot with right wing conservatives, but I know it also happens to some extent with the progressive liberals here as well.
How do you fix something like that?

ifihadahif Posted: Mon May 22 20:07:01 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  umm, let's see now, the right wing voice in the news has been around for what, maybe 10yrs at the very most ?
The progressive liberals have had their voice in the news for what, 40yrs at least ? Yet this bias you claim as "a lot" for conservatives and "to some extent" for progressive liberals.

Sounds to me like you have fulfilled Chris' prophecy of a viewer not having an unbiased voice gravitating to what he wants to hear.

Does anybody think the BBC is not incredibly biased in their news reporting ?

addi Posted: Mon May 22 20:48:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Sounds to me like you have fulfilled Chris' prophecy of a viewer not having an unbiased voice gravitating to what he wants to hear.

Hif! you posted on this thread. I'm shocked! ; )

well of course I'm biased. Anyone that says they aren't are right wing conservatives.

Here's the difference, and it's critical so pay close attention...I can usually spot idelogical proproganda when it's being shoved in my face. My life experience (and that's all i can go from) has shown me that the majority of it comes from those leaning to the right lately. They have a gift for half-truths, twisting facts, and out and out lies. Oh the left has it's share of liars too, and when I hear it I react with the same indignation that I do when I hear it from the right...it's just that it doesn't happen as often because, by and large, I've seen that the progressives are much more concerned about facts, objectivity, and fairness than the right is.
The right voted Bush into power. He has been shown to lie about several things since he's been in office, but the slow minded right wingers listen to Cheney, or Bush, or Rice give some lame explanation and they buy it hook, line, and sinker.
"We're invading Iraq because they have nuclear weapons....No, wait...we're invading because Saddam has close ties to Al-queda...no, wait...it's because we want to liberate the citizens there."

That's what Chris is referring to. That's what I'm referring to. The lights are on with these folks, but nobody's home.

DanSRose Posted: Mon May 22 23:22:24 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am shocked and appalled (appalled I tell you!) to hear that in the middle of a highly unpopular war, an economy where the stock market is supremely confuzzled, gas prices are rising rising rising (though we were promised that we'd get cheaper gas from that war- and we were promised that), teachers are getting pissed off that the system pushed upon them by the federal government is failing them and their students, that the weather has been acting ridiculous this year, that the weather predictions are predicting conditions- hurricane conditions - more and stronger for this season, and more than a majority of people are very unhappy where the country is going,
That issues such as gay marriage and English as the national language are being brought up.
I mean, it's not like when this was tried 3 weeks ago over immigration most of the country thought the president's positions was wrong and against their own.
It's not like politics in a terribly divisive time is being played or anything.

FN Posted: Tue May 23 05:43:55 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>umm, let's see now, the right wing voice in the news has been around for what, maybe 10yrs at the very most ?

But don't you think it's a bit strange that the differences in misconceptions between different stations are so huge?

I mean... 80% that's disinformed about the reasons their country went to war, I'd say that's pretty grave.

Beep Posted: Tue May 23 07:36:32 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Does anybody think the BBC is not incredibly biased in their news reporting ?

No, personally, i don't think they are.
The BBC seems pretty fair to me in their reporting. I could be wrong and they're actually giving me bull, but it doesn't seem that way to me at all.
not only that but there isn't a huge gap between political sides in the UK, or atleast not nearly as pronounced as in the US. the lines between labour, conservatives and liberals seem to me extremely blurry, they nick all policies off each other and end up agreeing mostly. i would probably say that i'm a liberal or green (or possibly the stark raving loony party :P) but my chemistry teacher runs for local elections as a conservative and a lot of what she says makes more sense than a lot of the people i side with. anyway, going back to the point, because of this there isn't a 'left-news' and a 'right-news' in the UK, because there isn't really a left and right. except for maybe UKIP, but they're just racist fools so blow them.

that's my two pennies anyway.

addi Posted: Fri May 26 06:52:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Bush, Blair acknowledge mistakes in Iraq

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060526/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_blair

LIES! Spread by our liberal president!!

*he omitted the biggest mistake...invading them in the first place

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]