Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Awesome Memorial Day video
ifihadahif Posted: Sat May 27 15:34:12 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO5tPf9LUC4&search=Memorial%20Day

Can you watch this without shedding a tear ?
I dare you to try.

Happy Memorial Day weekend everybody !

Mesh Posted: Sat May 27 19:44:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What is it we're supposed to memorialize on Memorials Day?

PS Video no worky for me.

addi Posted: Sat May 27 22:58:16 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mr. Misses said:
>What is it we're supposed to memorialize on Memorials Day?

Loved ones who have passed on....

and the death of democracy in 2000

Kira Posted: Sat May 27 23:11:36 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wikify it, I say.

Eh. Memorial Day is about dead soldiers - we celebrate the approach of summer. Valentine's Day has nothing to do with St Valentine - it's just easier than calling it All-the-Birds-Have-Begun-to-Nest Day. Christmas is the "birthday" of Christ - we celebrate Stuff.

Conclusion: Material Goods deemed more important than Religion = Healthy Society.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat May 27 23:37:14 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's to remember those who have given their lives to protect our freedoms so that we may go to shopping malls and have cookouts this weekend.

Ed Posted: Sun May 28 00:40:07 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>It's to remember those who have given their lives to protect our freedoms so that we may go to shopping malls and have cookouts this weekend.

shopping malls and cookouts....bah

I was waiting for a zombie to pop out and scare me.

Mesh Posted: Sun May 28 09:22:00 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh I see. Well I do like shopping malls. There is a mall down in the far south of the city *where I have recently relocated to. It's beautiful, you should be jealous* where the amount of extremely beautiful and sexy young ladies is just mind boggling. I mean, you can hurt yourself just trying to comprehend how it's possible there could be so many 9's and 10's in one place.

So memorial day for me will be to memorialize lot loved ones, then. But also, to memorialize lost sexed ones.

Mesh Posted: Sun May 28 09:23:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mr. Misses said:
>
lot loved ones,

lost* teeheee I made a goof up conblam it.

DanSRose Posted: Sun May 28 10:55:58 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I feel like crap all by myself, without thinking about soldiers. But then I think of my cousin, who just hated college in his first year at Temple University and enlisted in the Navy and is finishing his second batch of training at Jacksonvile and is being deployed but "only to Sicily" in a few weeks, which is quotations because people think if you're not in Iraq or Afghanistan or in the Army or Marines it doesn't matter as much because some people are mostly stupid, even if the center of the Mediterranean is a #1 support center. Or, I think of one of my very best friends from univerity who joined Air Force ROTC (pronounced "Rot-Sea"), who is the kindest, sweetest, most gentle most bouncy soul you'll ever meet - essentially picture any main character in any girl oriented Anime - who was sent to Japan and is settling in.

So though I will be marching in The neighborhood parade Monday, in my old Boy Scout uniform with my old Boy Scout troop because that is the thing to do. I won't be thinking about the names of the fallen soldiers from the Great War, the Second Great War (the one with the Shoah- that one), the one in Korea, the one in Vietnam, all the little Central American incursions in the '80s, the First Gulf, 9-11, Afghanistan, or the Second Gulf or whatever I've invariably forgotten.
I mind will be wandering to my very good friend in Japan and my cousin who is ready to be deployed only to Sicily. But while I will at least try sort of this year to focus on where I am, I know what my mind will be doing- the same thing it always does in these situations. It'll make my left hand tap out the song that's stuck in my head (Daft Punk this time, maybe) and wish I could sit down and write with my right hand.

At my college graduation, I did a full short short story and hummed the Gorillaz. The speaker was boring and it was too long.

Mouse Posted: Sun May 28 11:36:22 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  At present I should be getting ready for work, but I'm feeling cruddy today so I'm going to delay till the last minute.
My family has never really celebrated memorial day, I don't remember ever going away for the weekend or having cookouts or anything. This year I will be working on the day, so it shall probably pass the same as any other day in my life, too quickly, with too little notice taken.
I had better go now.
Mouse

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun May 28 12:24:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Memeorial day was always really somber. no celebration, no happy times really. just people avoiding talking about it and getting quietly drunk. my uncle Dad (mom's older brother)was in vitenam and my maternal grandfather was in WW2. so they are pretty busy trying not remember the wars they have been in. it's kinda sad, the couple times i slept over at Uncle dave's house to visit my cousins Casey and Kal he'd scream in the middle of the night. it was chilling to hear. it was only once i heard him scream but it was enough. my grandpa deals with it with this quiet stoism. i love them both but i really feel sorry for them both. Luckily they came home with all of their limbs and their scars aren't visible. but i know that it's well known that you don't talk to uncle dave about the war. and my grandpa avoids telling much at all. just the marching and the deployment. that sort of thing.

anyway.

god help those poor souls getting themselves killed and scared for life. may they rest in peace.

*shakes head* it's a terrible thing to lose so many good men and women.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun May 28 12:25:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *uncle david

fuck i was up too late last night

ifihadahif Posted: Sun May 28 12:40:19 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>I feel like crap all by myself, without thinking about soldiers. But then I think of my cousin, who just hated college in his first year at Temple University and enlisted in the Navy and is finishing his second batch of training at Jacksonvile and is being deployed but "only to Sicily" in a few weeks, which is quotations because people think if you're not in Iraq or Afghanistan or in the Army or Marines it doesn't matter as much because some people are mostly stupid, even if the center of the Mediterranean is a #1 support center.
>
At least you can tell yourself that your friend is not likely to get killed or injured in his deployment to Sicily.
The Navy, while doing their part in this war, is not giving up a lot of lives as are the Army and Marines.
You should be proud of your friend and if you want to help him out, write a lot of letters, they mean more than you can imagine.

Mesh Posted: Sun May 28 12:48:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  RIP Sam Huff. I hope the insurget who detonated that IED which killed you got wasted by a marine sniper.

Mesh Posted: Sun May 28 12:49:35 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mr. Misses said:
Sam Huff.

Short for Samantha. Beutiful young lady who died way too young.

Mesh Posted: Sun May 28 12:52:15 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mr. Misses said:
>Mr. Misses said:
> Sam Huff.
>
>
>Short for Samantha. Beutiful young lady who died way too young.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/swhuff.htm

There you see! Fuck you George dubya Bush!

Beep Posted: Sun May 28 13:03:07 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  There's a picture about 20 seconds in with some writing, which i can't help but think is actually saying 'infedel scum' or something.

maybe a week ago i discovered a tin full of all my nonnos medals. it stopped me in my tracks a bit and made me do a fair bit of thinking. commemorating and thinking about issues and ideas of the past is important i think.

Mesh Posted: Sun May 28 13:19:41 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:
>There's a picture about 20 seconds in with some writing, which i can't help but think is actually saying 'infedel scum' or something.
>.

I hope you're not talking about Samantha.

DanSRose Posted: Mon May 29 02:42:37 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>At least you can tell yourself that your friend is not likely to get killed or injured in his deployment to Sicily.
>The Navy, while doing their part in this war, is not giving up a lot of lives as are the Army and Marines.
>You should be proud of your friend and if you want to help him out, write a lot of letters, they mean more than you can imagine.

In 2000 you could have said that too, about serving on a ship in the waters on our friend and ally Saudi Arabia. Then the USS Cole was attacked so that goes out the window.
I also I find very asshole-ish to rank Army and Marines over Air Force and Navy (but not the Coast Guard). It's all sacrifice.

And it's not a question - or taking the moral high ground - of being proud of them. It's my cousin and one of my dearest friends. I am and always will be proud of them no matter what, whether they be junior fry cook or if they know how to take apart a submarine (my cousin's learning how to take apart a submarine). I am proud of them because I love them, and I love them because of who they are, not because what affiliations they hold, though it doesn't hurt.

And Mesh, Beep was talking about the video I haven't watched. I'm watching the Revenger's Tragedy instead (Christopher Eccleston and Eddie Izzard in a modern telling of a 17th Century tragedy that pales Hamlet).

ifihadahif Posted: Mon May 29 10:50:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>At least you can tell yourself that your friend is not likely to get killed or injured in his deployment to Sicily.
>>The Navy, while doing their part in this war, is not giving up a lot of lives as are the Army and Marines.
>>You should be proud of your friend and if you want to help him out, write a lot of letters, they mean more than you can imagine.
>
>In 2000 you could have said that too, about serving on a ship in the waters on our friend and ally Saudi Arabia. Then the USS Cole was attacked so that goes out the window.
>I also I find very asshole-ish to rank Army and Marines over Air Force and Navy (but not the Coast Guard). It's all sacrifice.
>
WTF ?
Are you really that anal ?
I never said it was totally safe, but in terms of sheer numbers, there are almost no sailors losing lives in the war on terror, at least not yet.
And it has nothing to do with ranking one service above another.
If anything, I would rank the navy higher, since I am an old navy guy, but they are all equal in their importance and ability to accomplish their respective missions.

Sheesh, I was trying to offer you a little moral support since you were missing your friend and I don't give a fuck if he's your cousin, or friend or whatever, if they have volunteered to serve their country, you should be proud of that service.

And the USS Cole was attacked in Yemen, not Saudi Arabia.

FN Posted: Mon May 29 11:01:07 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mr. Misses said:
> Sam Huff.

I'd have done her.

Shame.

DanSRose Posted: Mon May 29 12:57:23 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I apologize. I end up having to explain why my cousin is Navy and why friend is AF and not "the Ones that matter"- usually to people who are bitching for bitching sakes (one way and the other way, politically). I touchy about that stuff, especially at a quarter of 3.

Mesh Posted: Mon May 29 14:17:00 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ok the video worked for me now. That's a sad video. Made even sadder with the accompanying Clapton song.

addi Posted: Mon May 29 16:54:55 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Any death in any war is a tragedy to me.

But I do make distinctions on each war and the purpose for being involved. When it is an unjustified conflict, like Vietnam (escalated by Democratic presidents) or the current war in Iraq (started by you know who) it is a double tragedy. I know it sounds crass to quantify a person's death, but when it is done for a "greater good" then to me it has some purpose...a sad one, but meaning behind it.
When death is a result of political short sightedness and stupidity then the meaning isn't there....and parents see their children die for no good reason, and can't even console themselves that it was for a higher purpose to benefit mankind. That is truely gut-wrentching.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]