Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

a bit of help...
libra Posted: Thu Sep 21 02:03:14 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I need to figure out something to do for the year that I'm taking off between graduating and going to grad school...

I don't know what to do...I'd like to travel, and I'd like to do good things for the world...

should I go teach abroad, or is that imperialistic? Should I just go work somewhere cool for a bit?

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas...

addi Posted: Thu Sep 21 06:46:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yes...an advice post. I love these..because I'm just chock full of good advice

If you have to have $ coming in then find work at a "fun" place.
But
If you can get by with out working then don't. You'll be putting in long hours for da man the rest of your life so take a year off if possible.
I suggest traveling somewhere. It may mean being away from your honey, but I highly recommend it. He'll be there waiting for you after, and you'll both be better off for the separation. Also you'll find it's harder to do these things later in life with so many responsibilities on your shoulders.
Leave the U.S. Go abroad and learn from a different culture with unique perspectives on life. Show others (where ever you are) that not all Americans are dumb shits with their heads up there tight Texas asses.

Go have fun. You'll experience things that will stay with you the rest of your life.

*but stay away from Wales..Welsh guys are perverts

Ahriman Posted: Thu Sep 21 12:54:43 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Go to Poland. The people are awesome, the food is amazing, it's cheap, and there is loads to do in Krakow.

:)

beetlebum Posted: Thu Sep 21 16:38:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  travel, travel, travel. most people follow the expected track in life: graduate, get a job, get married, etc.

i wonder why people don't travel the world for a year or two before moving on to further education or work. because it seems as that every other country in the world encourages a "gap year." i think if americans encouraged this more, our population would be a little more enlightened and perhaps a better electorate.

www.statravel.com book your tickets now while you're still a student!

libra Posted: Thu Sep 21 23:06:49 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks guys. I know how important it is for me to do something different before I try to decide what kind of job I want...I think that traveling, or volunteering somewhere in a foreign country would be helpful to figuring out what I enjoy doing...

beetlebum Posted: Thu Sep 21 23:22:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  if you want to volunteer, typically you have to pay to do so. it might be better to save some money and do the BUNAC thing (getting a job permit to work in england, australia, new zealand, south africa, etc.) for six months and then volunteer somewhere for a few weeks. however, BUNAC requires a little moxie, because you arrive someplace without a job lined up. but from experience i can tell you that cafes are always hiring.

libra Posted: Fri Sep 22 11:35:15 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ooh, i've heard of Bunac and I thought it was a good idea...Some of the other work abroad things seemed like the jobs were really shitty (hotels/pubs only)...I think I will look into that...cause then I can work and explore wherever I'm living...

libra Posted: Fri Sep 22 11:35:15 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ooh, i've heard of Bunac and I thought it was a good idea...Some of the other work abroad things seemed like the jobs were really shitty (hotels/pubs only)...I think I will look into that...cause then I can work and explore wherever I'm living...

libra Posted: Fri Sep 22 11:36:32 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know how that happened...the double posting...

Mesh Posted: Fri Sep 22 21:09:58 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Come to Austin. You'd love it. Fuck Berkley, those are pseudo-hippies, now. There are real hippies here. Everywhere.

libra Posted: Sat Sep 23 03:17:58 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  something tells me that austin wouldn't give me the eye-opening awayfromamerica type of experience i need...

addi Posted: Sat Sep 23 07:34:31 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>something tells me that austin wouldn't give me the eye-opening awayfromamerica type of experience i need...

Actually, from where you've been raised, you might have more eye-opening cultural experiences in Texas than would living in another country. They're a whole 'nother breed down there.
: )

But I've heard good things about Austin. I have family living there, and many friends have told me stories of Austin being an oasis in the middle of a big cultural desert.

Reminds me a bit of West Berlin back in the days of the Cold War. An island of freeedom and liberty, surrounded by darkness, ignorance and oppression.

*Hook 'em Horns

Mesh Posted: Sat Sep 23 18:53:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I don't know how that happened...the double posting...

No sassback please.

misszero Posted: Tue Sep 26 01:26:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yeah, if you get a working visa for australia, I'd recommend Brisbane. I just went there, and it seems that approximately 100% of the stores i walked past had help wanted signs in them. Of course, that involves working in a store. In Brisbane. *Shrugs* (they do have a very lovely fake beach though, that's always nice.) (p.s. I actually quite like Brisbane, so you queenslanders just settle down.)

Mesh Posted: Tue Sep 26 21:44:16 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah, but most people in Australia speak English.

Not so in Texas lololol

beetlebum Posted: Wed Sep 27 10:26:52 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i was sitting in a friend's flat in london, when this supposed "documentary" came on. it was about how texans are the fattest people EVER. and the documentary found all of these horribly obese people texans, and showed footage of texan small-town mainstreets with lots of fast food restaurants, and it was really depressing.

this one EXTREMELY obese woman who was in her 30s (and is probably already dead, as i saw this documentary two years ago) was talking in this texan drawl about how she was a virgin by choice. but she couldn't get out of the bed because she was close to 500 pounds, and ate TWO DOZEN EGGS FOR BREAKFAST, PLUS A PACKAGE OF BACON AND A LOAF OF BREAD.

and you know, i just thought, "wow, virgin by choice." and my british friends didn't buy it either.

and this other texan guy was extremely obese and had to have his car modified to fit him, and he had been banned from all of the all-you-can-eat buffets in town and was proud.

so this is what some english people think of america. but really, i can't blame them.

texas has such a bad rep. poor texas.

beetlebum Posted: Wed Sep 27 10:28:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sorry to hijack your thread, libra! i always do that. argh.

Mesh Posted: Thu Sep 28 20:42:45 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Texas deserves it. Except Austin. They just get thrown in with the mix. Austin is a very fit and active city.

Except northern Austin. That part of the city is just like any other fat, strip-mall, lame ass city. It should be bombed, really.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]