Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Denny's
Ahriman Posted: Mon Nov 6 09:49:42 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This was an inspired truth that I announced at Denny's:

Damn, I hate those people that say "I'm 50% German and 50% Canadian." What the fuck is that? There is no such thing as being ethnically Canadian! Just because your parents had sex on a plane, doesn't make you 50% toilet. Fuck.

Beep Posted: Mon Nov 6 15:05:53 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I disagree. people from different parts of the world have evolved different features. being able to trace lineage back gives you an idea of where to place your genes/features from. I think it also helps to give peopel a sense of belonging. whether it's legitimate or not.

libra Posted: Mon Nov 6 16:55:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't think that's right, Beep. My genes are likely to be just as close to a 6' 4" black man in Africa as they are to the white girl sitting next to me in class.

Human genetic variation is greater within populations than between them. We are one of the most unvaried species. Different populations of chimps in different areas of Africa have much more genetic variation than human group differences.
Yes, mtDNA can be used to trace people back to certain locals, but that's related to time rather than DNA change.

Beep Posted: Wed Nov 8 15:02:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm, you're probably right. But it's true that i have some of my parents features? and that they have their parents'? and so on and so forth? therefor where 'you come from' can kind of be seen in your characteristics? Or am i totally wrong?
I think my use of wording about genes and such like is wrong from biology terms, but the characteristics still holds? or is it just a complete coincidence that my jewish friend who is second generation moved out of Israel has a big nose &c. &c.?

libra Posted: Wed Nov 8 16:35:58 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Beep said:
>Hmm, you're probably right. But it's true that i have some of my parents features? and that they have their parents'? and so on and so forth? therefor where 'you come from' can kind of be seen in your characteristics? Or am i totally wrong?
>I think my use of wording about genes and such like is wrong from biology terms, but the characteristics still holds? or is it just a complete coincidence that my jewish friend who is second generation moved out of Israel has a big nose &c. &c.?

well of course. but those little things (skin color, etc) are like the smallest little tiniest miniscule percentage of our DNA, and probably are somewhat recent adaptations...so in the long run, you can't really judge too much using that kind of stuff.

However, the Mitochondrial DNA stuff is SOOO interesting to me, and they can find out a lot about population movement and stuff because it is passed down only by mothers and mutates on a pretty regular scale (i'm bad at explaining, cause i'm not a physical anthropologist).

Ahriman Posted: Wed Nov 8 21:18:21 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was suggesting that you can only liiive in Canada. Not be ethnically Canadian.

libra Posted: Wed Nov 8 22:14:04 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>I was suggesting that you can only liiive in Canada. Not be ethnically Canadian.

you can if you're Inuit. but then I guess you'd probably say First Nations or something...

Kira Posted: Thu Nov 9 00:07:47 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't see why anyone would box themselves in like that anyway. I don't care what you're mixed with or where you're from, and I don't mean that in a nice, look-at-me-I'm-so-open-minded way, I mean that to me it just doesn't make any difference, except for the 'interesting' factor, say if I'm wanting to learn all the little personal details about a new buddy.

However maybe if I had an unusual family background I would enjoy talking about it too. Sometimes I'm not even sure I'm an American, except in the legal sense. If that makes any sense.

addi Posted: Thu Nov 9 08:00:26 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

>you can if you're Inuit. but then I guess you'd probably say First Nations or something...

I think that is correct. Inuit, First Nation, Metis, Acadians and I believe the Oompa Loompa.

I find Canadians quite fascinating myself. They're down to earth, common sense, humble folk...and some are even very physically attractive.

: )

libra Posted: Thu Nov 9 12:37:52 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>libra said:
>

>
>I find Canadians quite fascinating myself. They're down to earth, common sense, humble folk...and some are even very physically attractive.
>
>: )

I agree.

I'm going to Canada after christmas!

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Nov 11 09:21:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>libra said:
>
>>you can if you're Inuit. but then I guess you'd probably say First Nations or something...
>
>I think that is correct. Inuit, First Nation, Metis, Acadians and I believe the Oompa Loompa.
>
>I find Canadians quite fascinating myself. They're down to earth, common sense, humble folk...and some are even very physically attractive.
>
Tasty and nutritious as well !

addi Posted: Sat Nov 11 10:13:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Tasty and nutritious as well !

lol
I haven't tried any canadian meat before. I have heard the males are kind of tough and gamey, but the females, if properly prepared, can be an epicurean delight.

Oh Dear!

Ahriman Posted: Mon Nov 13 00:25:03 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can hear my neighbor having sex...

I got a new hat this weekend...yay!

addi Posted: Mon Nov 13 07:13:26 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>I can hear my neighbor having sex...

just thank your lucky stars you hear them having sex, and don't hear them "making love"

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]