Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

What a great story !
ifihadahif Posted: Fri Nov 17 12:30:57 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15751409/

Posted: Sat Nov 18 05:57:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  that was absolutely moving, actually

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sat Nov 18 15:18:49 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and what of the hard working people?

they get shit on. that's what. the quiet people who work hard and keep their nose clean don't get favors.

i'm sad the guy has cancer and it's a nice little christmas story but.

come on. the guy wasn't helping anyone.

if you just throw money and food at the homeless and needy they will eat and spend it on stuff that will get them through another day.

if you work on laws and regulations and etc and help solve the issues surronding homelessness and bad parenting and bad funding. Then we see a decrease in that sort of demographic.

it's the old saying give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a year...

or he'll start a buisness or etc...

bah humbug...
more civil action and less charity...

*mumbles* i hate heartwarming christian stories. such crap.

choke Posted: Sat Nov 18 15:47:37 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>
>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15751409/

That is lovely. (Apart from the cancer, of course.)

Posted: Sat Nov 18 15:49:10 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>*mumbles* i hate heartwarming christian stories. such crap.

There was nothing particularly christian about this, other than it revolved around the idea of Christmas, which has since become quite secular. I feel maybe that you haven't read the story closely enough - the man was inclined towards a charity by the charity of others, not anything religious, just humanist.

>and what of the hard working people?
>
>they get shit on. that's what. the quiet people who work hard and keep their nose clean don't get favors.

what about the hard working people with paralysis in the family? This guy gave to the national paralysis fund. And of those with ALS? And what about the families of the victims of crime? Are they not hard workers?

>i'm sad the guy has cancer and it's a nice little christmas story but.
>
>come on. the guy wasn't helping anyone.

Not that I'm the type to appeal to popular opinion, but if you really believe this, I guess you'll never be dropping a toy in a christmas donation bin again. And I guess you'll never get around to buying a sandwich for a man on the street. And to be fair, I'm not sure you've got any big plans to get laws setup to counteract these sorts of social problems, either. Don't rat on a guy because he's using effective and small means to do what would be impossible in the current situation over a large scale. It's a small world, afterall.

>if you just throw money and food at the homeless and needy they will eat and spend it on stuff that will get them through another day.
>
>if you work on laws and regulations and etc and help solve the issues surronding homelessness and bad parenting and bad funding. Then we see a decrease in that sort of demographic.

The truth is, you don't. Any given society needs to have an identifiable lowest-class of citizens. If you prevent homelessness and give people a place to stay, you have not taken them out of the lowest bracket, and it does not mean that they will stop having children for welfare purposes, and it does not mean that they will stop abusing heroin. You have not done anything substantial by giving people shelter: what you have done is made a small difference in their lives, and perhaps prevented some unnecessary deaths, health care expenditures, etc.

>it's the old saying give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a year...
>
>or he'll start a buisness or etc...

>bah humbug...
>more civil action and less charity...

Charity is a civil action.

The world should perhaps take this into more serious consideration.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sat Nov 18 16:23:39 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i didn't say that given houses to homeless would solve anything. Coz it wouldn't.

Charity is nice. And since I have worked most of my life in one pizza or food joint or another I've made a point in rounding up the left overs and secretly giving it away. The homeless people in this town knows I won't give money but I'd get them food (at a discounted price becuase i work at the place).

Christmas is getting secular but i don't particularlly enjoy stories of this nature. I'm glad somebody is inclined to charity.

i don't remember saying that i thought people with physical or mental illness wasn't hardworking...

addi Posted: Sat Nov 18 17:11:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like pizza. you could give some to me

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Nov 18 18:28:23 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>
>if you work on laws and regulations and etc and help solve the issues surronding homelessness and bad parenting and bad funding. Then we see a decrease in that sort of demographic.
>
Show me evidence of this.
Cherry, you're thinking with your feelings and not with your brain.

>*mumbles* i hate heartwarming christian stories. such crap.
>
Uh, I'm pretty sure there is no Santa Claus in the bible.

addi Posted: Sun Nov 19 08:27:16 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Uh, I'm pretty sure there is no Santa Claus in the bible.

Someone didn't pay attention during sunday school lessons I see. He was one of the Magi

"On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense, and of myrrh, and a Sony Playstation 3. And the baby spoke saying, "This totally rocks!"
Matthew

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Nov 19 08:40:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>Uh, I'm pretty sure there is no Santa Claus in the bible.
>
>Someone didn't pay attention during sunday school lessons I see. He was one of the Magi
>
>"On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense, and of myrrh, and a Sony Playstation 3. And the baby spoke saying, "This totally rocks!"
>Matthew
>
No dude, that wasn't Santa, that was Stewie !

And just who do you think you're fooling, we all know your name isn't Matthew.

addi Posted: Sun Nov 19 08:53:39 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>No dude, that wasn't Santa, that was Stewie !

Magi 2: Stewie, what do you think myrrh is made out of?
Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

>And just who do you think you're fooling, we all know your name isn't Matthew.

It might have been

novemberrain Posted: Sun Nov 19 10:43:00 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>Uh, I'm pretty sure there is no Santa Claus in the bible.
>
>Someone didn't pay attention during sunday school lessons I see. He was one of the Magi
>
>"On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense, and of myrrh, and a Sony Playstation 3. And the baby spoke saying, "This totally rocks!"
>Matthew

Except you are forgetting the part where the Magi got robbed of his Playstation 3 after spending 120 hours in line and spending $600

Posted: Sun Nov 19 12:39:56 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  aw man, I miss this.

We should get together more often, dudes.

novemberrain Posted: Sun Nov 19 18:23:57 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yeah, we totally should. :)

Mesh Posted: Sun Nov 19 22:43:12 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yes I agree.

Give me pizza.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Nov 20 06:39:35 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mr. Misses said:
>Yes I agree.
>
>
>Give me pizza.
>
Sure, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, corn ?

addi Posted: Mon Nov 20 07:26:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  novemberrain said:
>yeah, we totally should. :)

Yes! So start posting more all you wayward souls...this place turns into a morgue way too often.

misszero Posted: Mon Nov 20 19:43:27 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i liked the story too. and man, don't we have us a little scrooge? maybe not helping in the long term yada yada yada, but he's obviously making people happy, maybe even restoring a little faith in humanity. Even if it is just momentary, a little bit of niceness is better than none.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]