Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

For fun...
innocenceNonus Posted: Sat Dec 16 14:48:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Posting a wish list... Feel free to share yours... Just thought it'd be fun.

It's an odd mix, i admit...

I want a guy with...

Gene Kelly's charm.
James Stewart's attitude.
Adrien Brody's beauty.
Brad Pitt's body.
Edward Norton's aura.
Eugenides' heart.
Wesley/ The Dread Pirate [rather, Ex] Roberts' undying love.
Sean Connery's voice.
George Clooney's smile.
Jon Stewart's humor.
V's honor.
Nino Quincompoix's quirkiness.
Matt Bellamy's singing voice.
Rivers Cuomo's nerdiness.
Ted Leo's brilliance.
Mr. Darcy's passion.

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sat Dec 16 15:12:26 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I want a guy with:

Mr.Darcy's sweetness
Johnny Depp's body
GabriŽl Rios his voice
Jamie Cullum's enthusiasm
George clooney's smile (stole that one from you innocence but it's so true :) )
Joe simpson's surviving skills
Robbin william's possibility to laugh trough life
Wim De Vilder's eyes
Romeo's love capability
Aragorn's loyalty
Dominic Monaghan's cuteness
My best friend's character

* now having an elaborated daydream where this person is living in *

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sat Dec 16 15:17:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh, now i'm on a roll

you can add a guy with

heath ledger's sexyness
:p

*recommences daydream *

Posted: Sat Dec 16 17:43:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:
>I want a guy with...

>Brad Pitt's body.

>Rivers Cuomo's nerdiness.

ERR.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
RESTART PROCESS (Y/N)?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sat Dec 16 17:49:10 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm living the daydream... *sigh* it's been pretty awesome....

innocenceNonus Posted: Sat Dec 16 18:00:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>innocenceNonus said:
>>I want a guy with...
>
>>Brad Pitt's body.
>
>>Rivers Cuomo's nerdiness.
>
>
>ERR.
>DOES NOT COMPUTE.
>RESTART PROCESS (Y/N)?

this made me laugh SOOOOOOOO hard. after just finishing a C programming course and having to make programs like this where that'd be the read-out...

good times.

AND IT DOES SOOOOOO compute!

nerdiness isn't just found in thick black-rimmed glasses and a frail emasculate body structure. it's also a bit of insecurity in oneself, a lot of security in one's brains, a penchant for obsessing over ridiculous things, and a need to dream. : )

yeah, i just romanticized nerdiness... but it's the internet, dang it, and i shall do darn well as i please.

libra Posted: Sat Dec 16 19:50:25 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Josh Harnett's cheek dents (i'm attracted to cheek dents?!)
My physical anthro and anthro of law professors' intelligence
Thom Yorke's musical ability
Leo DiCaprio's care for the world
Brad's sexiness (the guy doesn't even have to shower often and he's hot)
George Clooney's old-fashioned charm
Stealing innocence's: Nino Quincompoix's quirkiness
Murakami's imagination
Stephen Chbosky's compassion
Yossarian's oddness
Gael Garcia Bernal's quietness
Angelina Jolie's confidence

libra Posted: Sat Dec 16 19:54:20 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  but my boyfriend is pretty damn wonderful.

beetlebum Posted: Sat Dec 16 20:36:26 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I would just take Mr. Darcy.

for everything.

he's pretty much my favourite.

Kira Posted: Sun Dec 17 00:09:09 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was sitting here trying to think of where I'd heard the name Mr. Darcy... and when I remembered, I began to wonder at the coincidence that not only had all of you read "Pride and Prejudice", it made enough of an impact on all of you that you would site a character from a book along with all those Hollywood/music people... and then I remembered the recent movie adaptation, which I have not seen.

End: pointless story.

List later maybe? Probably not. It feels a bit too masochistic to me to try to put together the perfect man.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun Dec 17 02:30:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  pride and prejudice AND wuthering heights are the two singalarly disgusting and just plain awful "Love story". The second of the two is intolerable. It's about 432 pages of paper wasted. The first was not airy sweet or romotely romantic... gag. How either made it past the first printing amazes me. I actually literally burnt my copy of wuthering heights after i bought to read it. I just went out back of my house and started a little bonfire..... that was the toasest bonfire... anything written by a bronte is not worth paper or sitting time to read it. sorry. they are crappy.

libra Posted: Sun Dec 17 02:49:51 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think you need to take into account the time period these books were written in. Being a female who aspired to be anything but a baby-popper-outer was kind of risky business. People tend to write about things that they know, and that life was the only thing a woman who had the time and ability to write novels knew. Jane Austen was ahead of her time in seeing the world around her and being able to poke fun at it.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun Dec 17 04:38:21 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erm. i'm an avid fan of peroid novels. i just can't the narrator. the plot is shabby and patchy. and multiple other things. sure she was "far" ahead for her time. that doesn't make her any less shitty of a romance writer. That's all. I know where she's coming from. what the times were. the fact that it is a celebrated novel is bs. Being from a certain and having certain restraints on plots is a piece of crap excuse. It's an unstandable excuse. it's a shitty one though.

i've read too many old novels to just say "oh well. it's just a period novel! so it's okay to have a plot worth falling asleep to." There are very well written novels written from that time... (I don't remember half the stuff i read coz i read about 8-10 books a week.)

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Dec 18 00:06:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I actually haven't read Pride and Prejudice, though I am familiar with Austen's style...

And while I think that it might not be to the taste of certain readers [I myself am in half agreeance with ya, Cherry], I still think that Austen has a lot of wit and a lot of passion, and I think THAT'S why her writing sparkles.

I mean, if you read her personal letters, you can DEFINITELY see her wit. And aside from having a very recognizable style [something that's NOT as easy as it sounds, I've found], she has a certain subtlety to her. The passion in her writing is kind of hidden, and I think that's what gives her stories their allure. Austen herself was never married, and I think it's because, like many of her characters, she wanted to find that true, sparkling, swooning love and she never did SIMPLY because she was so full of that passion. she couldn't find anyone that shared it in that level with her.

I mean, I'll admit that I think she doesn't do a great job of "landing the plane." But I also don't think she's in a rush to so I can't judge her based on that. If telling a story to entertain superficially was her purpose [as it is in say.... Michael Crichton or Harry Potter books], I'd call her a failure. But I think her purpose runs a little deeper.

Personally, as much as I want to yell at her "Get on with it!," I think the wait's also part of what Austen is all about. That kinda "Oh this is SO normal and SO simple" that when the plot starts twisting and things start happening [things that we normally could see MILES away because [THANKS HOLLYWOOD AND CHEAP FICTION!] we've grown up with them], we're a little caught off guard. We don't expect them because we're so used to this average, a-little-droll story. At least, I think that's what we'd be like if we had grown up in Austen's time. Unfortunately, there's a reason she's known as a [if not "the"] mother of modern romances.

While I read her books, I tend to hate them until about half or two thirds through, but as soon as things start picking up, I can't put it down. And I giggle like an idiot after reading some of the lines she puts out because they're just really true. I mean, I guess her pace-of-action might suck, but her perception of how people are is pretty amazing.

Either way, I don't think you HAVE to like or love a book, y'know? But I think that most novels [with VERY few exceptions] are appreciable because of not only the time and attention that went into them, but also the little bits of genius in them.

[For me, I didn't really like Snow Falling on Cedars, but I definitely appreciated it.]

As for the point on Bronte, I have to completely disagree with you. Jane Eyre was GREAT, and I thought Wuthering Heights even better [if not for different reasons]. I also think Wuthering Heights is even more classifiable than Jane Eyre as a romance.

I mean, neither Jane Eyre nor Wuthering Heights are light or sweet or "romantic" in the conventional sense. They're both dark and passionate and [trite as I'm going to be] laced with danger. And after being trite myself, I'd also like to bring up that part of their charm is that they ARE so ridiculously overblown at times. That is, as Libra mentioned, part of the general literary movement of that time [check out other Brit poetry from around the same time period... particularly the early 1800's... if I didn't know better, I woulda thought them to be emo poetry written by talented teens today], and I don't think we should label a book bad simply because it's following some of the common conventions of its period. Plus, aside from working as a romance, you can also take Wuthering Heights as a dark comedy... [Well, if you have kind of a weird sense of humor like me... half the time I read it, I was clutching my heart and the other half I was laughing hysterically].

And Wuthering Heights... at times, parts of the novel would seem perfectly at home in a soap opera. And you might not love that delicious "OH MY GOSH!" feeling, but I ADORE it. I can see how Austen would seem boring in comparison, but Wuthering Heights definitely not!

I also fail to see how it's poorly written. I thought Wuthering Height's plot was fairly well-developed, and I definitely appreciated the ridiculous drama and darkness to it. That's just her style. As for imagery and use of symbols and all that Lit Class junk, I thought she did a fair job with that too.

Though I will admit that when I first tried reading Wuthering Heights 7 or 8 years ago, I couldn't even finish the first chapter. I read a few pages, thought, "This blows," and turned it right back into the library the same day. Only ever got to the part where Jane just lost her friend before 4 or so years ago when I first read Jane Eyre.

So maybe it's a time-of-life thing?? Don't get me wrong; I don't mean a "maturity" thing [I was mature enough to handle the material in the novels at the time when I decided I didn't like them]. But sometimes, I think we just haven't hit that point when we can relate to certain things [much like how people grow to like coffee or become allergic to peanut butter or find that suddenly, one day, they no longer care for a certain person as they once did. it's not really "maturing"... it's just a change of taste].

Like when I first read Once and Future King and HATED it. Or how I didn't really like Brave New World when I first read it and then three years later, BOOM, fell in love with it and now it's a favorite.

I dunno.

Or maybe it's also because I'm a little on the simple side and just enjoy reading most anything in general... Or maybe it's the nerdy Lit kid in me that loves really getting into the material... who knows?

Either way, I guess the difference between opinions really just boils down to personal tastes. Just shows how one person can love something and how another can hate it. Like broccoli or pears or Irish men.

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Dec 18 00:09:00 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>Thom Yorke's musical ability
>

AWESOME choice.

I'd steal that one from you and add it onto my list if I could.

andariel Posted: Mon Dec 18 00:43:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:
>I actually haven't read Pride and Prejudice, though I am familiar with Austen's style...

This post just saved you the pain of my post Cherry, 'cause innocence just said eveything I was going to but much nicer and with less personal attacks.

I will say that you should mark opinion statements with "I think" or "I feel" 'cause to leave them as statements alone opens you to attack. If you mean them as statements you should provide evidence. You can never be wrong when you guard yourself with "I feel that the book was..." but you look like a idiot when you when you stand up and say "it's crap" about literarily acclaimed books such as these. There is research and evidence to explain why both of those books are shit, look into some of it before you get onto a soap box to rant your against-the-grain opinion. This is something you should keep in the back of your mind for life. You'll really look better to the world and earn some respect if you can explain your thoughts better than "it sucked".

andariel Posted: Mon Dec 18 01:02:55 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My man would have
Rhett Butler's love (book Rhett not movie Rhett)
Shakespeare's humor
Hugh Grant's looks
Kenny Wayne Shepherd's musical ability (guitar)
Berry White's voice
George Carline's way with words
Eddie Izzard's style
Larry Hartsfield's intelligence
and
007's suavity

That's all I can think of that I want in a man right now, maybe tomorrow I can come up with more.

choke Posted: Mon Dec 18 05:31:37 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  andariel said:
>innocenceNonus said:
>>I actually haven't read Pride and Prejudice, though I am familiar with Austen's style...
>
>This post just saved you the pain of my post Cherry, 'cause innocence just said eveything I was going to but much nicer and with less personal attacks.
>
Tehehe. These two posts combined just saved you a little more.

addi Posted: Mon Dec 18 06:37:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oxygen, WE (woman's entertainment), and Life TV channels all rolled into one "just for us plinkers" thread.

Right after this commercial break we'll be right back with Oprah to dicuss her choice for book of the month club..."Women Who Want Depp and Like Period Novels"

: )

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Dec 18 10:09:28 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  andariel said:
>I will say that you should mark opinion statements with "I think" or "I feel" 'cause to leave them as statements alone opens you to attack.

there will always be an asshole out there ready to shoot someone else down. Book reviews are opinions. It's an opinion. It was 3 am. I wasn't running all motors, however I wasn't aware that gt was a debate club. Next time i will prepare long and hard.

i didn't read anything past that sentance....

*shrugs*

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Dec 18 11:45:08 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Right after this commercial break we'll be right back with Oprah to dicuss her choice for book of the month club..."Women Who Want Depp and Like Period Novels"
>
>: )
>
>

i giggled when i read this... a lot. BECAUSE IT'S SO TRUE.

there is a lot of estrogen in this thread. good thing you brought the testosterone, addi, to even it out. hahahaha.

J. Posted: Mon Dec 18 11:51:18 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am beginning to wonder about you, Mr. Christophe. What are you doing hanging around weird sites like that? *laugh*

J. Posted: Mon Dec 18 12:06:22 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sorry, this post is in the wrong place. Should have been for Christophe, the Happy B-day topic instead.

Ah, about the X-mas wish list, I now wish there is an edit button in this forum for X-mas, though.

addi Posted: Mon Dec 18 12:52:37 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:

>there is a lot of estrogen in this thread. good thing you brought the testosterone, addi, to even it out. hahahaha.

eh..it's about time you plinkers had your own thread anyway. Us guys are always posting about boobs and fuzzy beavers and other assorted female parts.

so carry on

addi Posted: Mon Dec 18 12:54:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  suenos said:
>Sorry, this post is in the wrong place. Should have been for Christophe, the Happy B-day topic instead.

no worries, suenos. I've done that before too.

(I just tell everyone that I suffer from sleep-typing, and that I was unconscious at the time)

choke Posted: Mon Dec 18 14:19:18 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>
>
>
>i didn't read anything past that sentance....
>
>*shrugs*

Do you ever go back and read some of the things you say?

J. Posted: Mon Dec 18 16:12:03 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thank you, Mr. Addi.

About "Pride and Prejudice", I enjoyed the book (especially the flowery, wordy language) and the movie too, beautiful photography. Ahhh, and Mr. Darcy, Mr. Darcy with his dreammy eyes and those mile-long eyelashes that can capture any girl's heart and soul .....

(Why do guys always have long, thick eyelashes?????????)

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Dec 18 16:19:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  suenos said:
>
>(Why do guys always have long, thick eyelashes?????????)
>
Because rumor has it that plinkers like everything long and thick.
:-)

J. Posted: Mon Dec 18 16:27:57 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh Mr. Hif... you're soooooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FN Posted: Mon Dec 18 16:54:20 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I knew I had to appear in this thread somewhere

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Dec 18 21:54:09 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>eh..it's about time you plinkers had your own thread anyway. Us guys are always posting about boobs and fuzzy beavers and other assorted female parts.
>
>so carry on
>

again, very true. thanks for the permission, addi! i'll be sure to add it on to my list of male hegemony CRIMES. : )

jk. i'm not that much of a feminazi yet...

addi Posted: Mon Dec 18 22:19:19 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:

>jk. i'm not that much of a feminazi yet...

well keep studying and learning and soon you'll be there. I'm sure us men will continue to give you plenty of motivation

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Dec 18 23:12:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hahahaha. just like women keep motivating men to be misogynists?

addi Posted: Tue Dec 19 06:23:56 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:
>hahahaha. just like women keep motivating men to be misogynists?

Your two gender spokeswomen, Britney and Paris, are doing a fine job at this.

innocenceNonus Posted: Tue Dec 19 19:05:23 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>innocenceNonus said:
>>hahahaha. just like women keep motivating men to be misogynists?
>
>Your two gender spokeswomen, Britney and Paris, are doing a fine job at this.
>

ouch. if that's not a kick in the face, i dunno what is...

akmal Posted: Tue Sep 18 02:46:35 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Contest!

http://www.diesel-fragrance.com what's going
on here?

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]