Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Panda the ferret!
Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Dec 18 16:32:29 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have a new ferret friend! Panda is 3 month olds and I got him today from a friend who wanted to buy me a christmas gift. We got him from Petco. He's the cutest and zaniest little boy. As soon as he got home he started dancing and zooming around and smashing into walls. I'm going to put of pics of him in a couple hours... After he stops zooming and sniffing everything. He seemed pretty happy to explore and see where he was. He was a little scared when he first came home. He just sat on my lap and stared around. And after about 5 seconds he was off. The little stinker. I will be adopting a female from a young college girl. I hope the two get along. If not we will make sure that they don't hurt one another. I'm just excited and happy.

one day everyone will have a awesomely cute ferret... weeee

J. Posted: Mon Dec 18 16:39:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry Moon,

I've had quite a few pets growing up, and the best pet I've ever had was a chinchilla. She was named Toby. She was the best pet anyone could have ask for: clean, cute, playful, gentle, sweet, affectionate ....

How I miss my Toby....

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Dec 18 17:34:36 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i've had fish, dogs, and cats. But never anything exotic... I've read up on them for a couple months now and i was sure that ferrets were what i wanted. Chinchillas are the awesome too but i've not read anything about them. Panda is busy being an insane 2 yr old on crack... he's escaped a couple times the packing boxes i put in place to keep in him in the living room... he gets behind everthing. he thinks everything is a toy and readily plays with everything. I love him the little cutie...

Posted: Mon Dec 18 17:48:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  one of my very best friends and his fiance (still feels like I'm too young to be saying that sort of thing) have three ferrets: Eddie (the gunslinger), Billy (the kid), and Reggie (Jackson, the ballplayer. that one kind of sticks out, eh?).

They're the most playful little critters you could ever imagine, and smarter than just about anything.

Word of warning: I hear male and female ferrets really don't get along too well; the size difference is much more pronounced than with other mammals, and the males get to be sort of abusive.

Just what I've heard, take it for what it is :)

And congrats!

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Dec 18 18:22:31 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  if that is the case i'll make sure i'll teach him to treat her with respect... there's bitter apple spray that keeps them from biting each other and they'll chill out and be friends.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Dec 18 18:27:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/wallshadow/panda/

he won't hold still for anything

Mouse Posted: Mon Dec 18 20:11:24 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Weee!
I got him presents before I left work today. Teehee.
I'm not going to leave you in peace now. :P
Do you need any supplies? I couldn't tell what you got when you left, let me know if you need anything and I'll buy it for you. Cuteness multiplied.
M.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Dec 18 20:19:41 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  come over! please!

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Dec 18 20:23:52 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i need toys he's bugging out... he needs something to play with. tunnels, ferret ball, a bunch of other stuff.

Ahriman Posted: Tue Dec 19 13:34:19 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  out of the hundreds of animals I've cared for at my family's animal shelter. Ferrets have been one of my favorite. Loads of fun.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 20 01:19:35 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i smell of ferret... people at work have told me that ferrets are gross.... hhahahahah i am going to sic my attack ferret on them all. RAWR! hehe... he'll cute them to death.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 20 07:42:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Didn't the Beastmaster have a couple of real cool ferrets ?

J. Posted: Wed Dec 20 12:26:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  

How did Cherry Moon became Panda?

How did you do that????

Mr. Hif:

Yes, my Dad had to give in and bought me a pair of ferrets because of that movie. *LOL* They are so cute and so playful but they can be aggressive and oh my god, they bite!!!! My Mother didn't like their odor, plus after two months and my cousins got bitten several times, she decided to give them away to the old sweet lady who lived at the end of our street ....

J. Posted: Wed Dec 20 12:35:51 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  * become, sorry

(I wrote one thing and changed it then hit the post button too soon)

God, I wish there is an edit button!!!!!!!!!

addi Posted: Wed Dec 20 13:03:48 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  a family next door to us got their boys two ferrets. I remember thinking how cute they were, but any time I got close to them the smell made me gag.

Puck Posted: Wed Dec 20 14:15:27 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  he kept crawling behind the litter box and pushing it out to the middle of the cage, so I fastened it to the corner. now the little fucker is going nuts trying to ripe it off and get behind it. the kitty litter is all over the cage (and a little outside) now. I tried to pull him out and found that he had rolled in a pee puddle that missed the litter box. I think it's bath time.

*sigh*

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 20 14:29:48 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think their cuteness is trumped by their odor, even when they've been de-scented.

Puck Posted: Wed Dec 20 14:49:07 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  scent is only a small problem. most dogs (esp. large ones) that aren't bathed every week would smell worse than a ferret ever could.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 20 15:41:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know what kind of dogs you're hanging around Puckster : )

I have a large dog that only gets a bath once a month or so, and he smells like heaven compared to the odor of any ferret I've ever been around.

*don't get me wrong though..they are damn cute. It's just that if I ever owned one I'd invest in some quality nose plugs : )

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 20 15:46:06 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>I don't know what kind of dogs you're hanging around Puckster : )
>
>I have a large dog that only gets a bath once a month or so, and he smells like heaven compared to the odor of any ferret I've ever been around.
>
>*don't get me wrong though..they are damn cute. It's just that if I ever owned one I'd invest in some quality nose plugs : )
>
I dunno Addi, maybe some people just like that smell.
Sorta like the people that thought Tommy Girl smelled good. *vomit*
:-)

J. Posted: Wed Dec 20 15:54:44 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My Mom couldn't stand the ferrets' odor so she bathed them every three or four days, and they still stunk. (Sorry to say the truth!)

Chinchillas have no stinky odor, though. I could hardly smell anything on her. (Their poop doesn't stink either). They are extremely clean creature. My Toby loved her dust bath and she looked soooo cute while bathing too. (She rolled around like crazy in the tub with 3-4 spoons of volcano ash)

Their fur are so dense that no insect can get thru. No fleas, no mites, no ticks.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 20 15:56:38 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>I dunno Addi, maybe some people just like that smell.

you may be right. Who can account for some people's senses? I mean some people actually like cilantro. go figure!

*maybe you could just constantly spray Fabreeze on the 'lil stinkers.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 20 15:59:25 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  suenos said:

>(Their poop doesn't stink either).

Christophe says his doesn't either.
Maybe he's part Western European and part chinchilla

J. Posted: Wed Dec 20 16:10:47 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I promise you, Mr. Addi, my next chinchilla will be a boy, and I will name him Christophe.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 20 16:19:45 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  suenos said:
>I promise you, Mr. Addi, my next chinchilla will be a boy, and I will name him Christophe.

Dang! I was hoping for "Addison"

: )

FN Posted: Wed Dec 20 16:29:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Don't castrate it though

We Christophes don't take kindly to that kind of thing

addi Posted: Wed Dec 20 16:37:56 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Don't castrate it though

if you did you'd have to rename it "Chrissy" and take it to broadway shows

J. Posted: Wed Dec 20 16:49:14 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>Don't castrate it though
>
>
>We Christophes don't take kindly to that kind of thing

Since "You Christophes don't take kindly to that kind of thing", I'll personally perform the "outpatient procedure" on him myself. *LOL*

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Dec 21 01:08:33 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  suenos said:
>My Mom couldn't stand the ferrets' odor so she bathed them every three or four days, and they still stunk. (Sorry to say the truth!)

that's the worst thing you could do to a ferret. A once a month bath is MORE then PLENTY. The more you bath them the more and more they stink. It's a faint odor that is given off by them because of the oil in their coats. The repeated washings probably stressed the ferrets out and the combination of stress and lack of oil probably made them stink to high heaven.

i've yet to meet a dog that smells like heaven that DOESN'T have an owner who professionally shows it. The dogs I've owned (2), the dogs I've had the chance to play with (at least a hundred), and mousies dog Raven smelt so bad that i had to scrub my hands and arms and face for a good few minutes. And the stench stuck to me for the rest of the day. The smell of wet dirty dog fur makes me sick... I've actually gagged a couple times.

Ferrets on the other hand. The have their own smell yes. However, repeated washings and not being mindful of what it rolls/plays in makes the smell awful. Cat pee is awful and in the past our house stank of cat pee. When you clean up after ferrets and use a ferret safe carpet scrubber then the smell is nonexistant.

The myths I've heard about ferrets range from silly to just plain retarded.

Panda is deaf we think. We are pretty damn sure of it. David vaccuumed today while Panda was asleep in his cage and he didn't even seem to hear it. We're going to go get him checked out by a vet tomorrow or saturday. But we are pretty sure he's deaf as a doorknob. Which means training him will be a bit harder because saying stuff to him in any tone isn't going to mean crap....

oh well... out of the 6 at the pet shop i pick the one who is deaf.... what luck...

Panda has been a better depression treatment then just talking or etc.

J. Posted: Thu Dec 21 07:54:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thank you, Cherry Moon, for the information. I guessed my Mother didn't follow the Vet's instructions or maybe she didn't know that, and I was just a 9 yr old spoiled brat, so much for taking care of ferrets odor back then .....

I do remember how much I enjoyed watching them playing in the bathtub, and especially they way they dried themselves off by burrowing in the towels. So cute.

I hope your ferret is not deaf.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Dec 21 08:02:40 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Panda said:
>suenos said:
>>My Mom couldn't stand the ferrets' odor so she bathed them every three or four days, and they still stunk. (Sorry to say the truth!)
>
>that's the worst thing you could do to a ferret. A once a month bath is MORE then PLENTY. The more you bath them the more and more they stink. It's a faint odor that is given off by them because of the oil in their coats. The repeated washings probably stressed the ferrets out and the combination of stress and lack of oil probably made them stink to high heaven.
>
I don't get it, if their scent is because of the oil in their coats, how can the lack of oil make them stink to high heaven ?

Also I thought their odor was produced by scent glands.

addi Posted: Thu Dec 21 08:37:30 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  All I know is what I know

Every adorable lovable ferret I've been around has stunk.

My large dog doesn't smell bad. The large dog I had before him didn't smell bad. The larger dog I had before that one didn't stink either.
Perhaps you've been around the rare Welsh Skunk dog breed...or the owners are suspect : )

*time to load up the car..Addi is oudda here. Behave while I'm gone people
Peace

sweet p Posted: Thu Dec 21 10:53:50 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Sorta like the people that thought Tommy Girl smelled good. *vomit*
>:-)

haha!

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Dec 21 12:24:37 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I don't get it, if their scent is because of the oil in their coats, how can the lack of oil make them stink to high heaven ?

because the glands freak out and think oh no! there's no oil on his coat to help keep it healthy. I must produce more and MORE and MORE! and the oil gets in his coat from his glands. just like the oil gets in your hair from your glands. ferrets are no exception to the natural process.

>Also I thought their odor was produced by scent glands.

you have glands too. and if the oil from the glands makes your hair oily... it's pretty simple. It happens to my hair which produces enough oil for the rest of the world. If i wash it too much then it'll be really oily.

the oil in our hair doesn't stink (to us anyways). Ferrets do. The ferrets you guys have been around probably had owners thought that they were little dogs. And applied the principle for dog washing: if he stinks bathe him. Just because ferrets have a different smell then the typical cat and dog smell doesn't make them SMELLY. It just makes it different. Ferrets are different creatures then cats and dogs. They are more fragile and their health care has to be properly taken care of. A dog or a cat can just be thrown into the yard and they can hunt for their own food. Cats take care of bathing themselves and dogs just smell until their owners get use to it. or bathe them.

panda bear has no smell after we gave him a bath last night. He had rolled in about everything. He was quiet and held still and was very well behaved. The dogs I had while they had training and etc wouldn't hold still for anything when bath time came around.

He's scent free at the moment and after the bath he smelled of his shampoo faintly.

sweet p Posted: Thu Dec 21 14:30:01 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ps. congrats on the new family member!

FN Posted: Thu Dec 21 14:51:34 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ehrm... have you ever seen what a ferret does to a rabit? I'm sure he could take care of his own if you'd just throw him into the yard lol.

If not, you're 2% on your way to a nice warm coat.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun Dec 24 16:54:19 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  panda hurt his back left paw. We have made an emergency appointment with the animal hospital for when David gets off work tonight. I think it may be bad strained/pulled. The doctor visit is $92. If she wants to run xrays it'll run about 196 for primary ones. My poor sweetheart. He got his paw caught and before I could even stop him. I feel to blame though I couldn't stop him. I don't want him to be in any pain. Please wish him luck. This xmas I will be waiting at the animal hospital. :'(

J. Posted: Wed Dec 27 19:18:07 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh I am so sorry, so sorry to hear that.
What a terrible way to spend the Christmas holidays.
How is Panda doing now?

FN Posted: Wed Dec 27 19:21:11 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  suenos said:
>my cousins got bitten several times, she decided to give them away to the old sweet lady who lived at the end of our street

Lol

If it's agressive dump it with an old lady

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 27 20:21:48 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  He seems just fine. We decided to stay home because the doctor told us that it's probably just a sprain. I think he's fine. But I'm going to go to get him check when we move... sunday night is my last night in NC.... Craziness... plus we will be getting yet another ferret last week of january. A white female Lola And a possible third all black male Ninja around next xmas... burried in fuzzily creatures... whooo... we have ferrets instead of friends... weird eh?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 27 20:25:52 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  when a ferret bites you are suppose to immediately pick it up, scruff it, and (when it's not deaf) say loudly, firmly NO. Then give a gentle firm pat on the bottom and send the ferret on its way. After that let normal play resume. Ferrets are pretty easy to train when they aren't deaf... I'm finding it really hard to train Panda because he is deaf...

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 27 20:27:54 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I think their cuteness is trumped by their odor, even when they've been de-scented.

I find that to be true of humans too. They have a stench about them that makes me gag.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Fri Dec 29 04:57:39 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'll own four ferrets by the time January is finished. I'm adopting pitch black 2 yr old brother and sister ferrets Ninja and Enigma by Sunday. January 20th I will be adopting Lola a white ferret with black tips on her fur. So i will be the owner of four awesome fuzzies. Panda Bear, Lola, Ninja, and Enigma.

I will take photos of me and my zany ferret family.

wheeee... ferrets are better then humans.

J. Posted: Thu Jan 4 11:38:46 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  How is Panda doing, Cherry Moon?
I really, really like your avatar. Sensual and beautiful!

Christophe said:
>suenos said:
>>my cousins got bitten several times, she decided to give them away to the old sweet lady who lived at the end of our street
>
>Lol
>
>If it's agressive dump it with an old lady

Christophe,

No, sir, my mother didn't dump the ferrets with the old lady because they were aggressive. My cousins were too young, didn't know how to handle ferrets and somehow aggitated them. The old lady had ferrets before and they died of old age a few months before. She was attached to our ferrets and asked us if she could have them when my mother expressed her concerns about how often my cousins were "attacked" by them.

You can be so rude and obnoxious sometimes. (I can't help but think that it must be your Western European upbringing and your swollen superiority complex that everyone keeps bumping their feet against. LOL)

I don't appreciate that kind of remarks regarding my parents from anyone, much less from you. You don't know anything about me, my family or my mother, so please kindly shut the fuck up, sir.

FN Posted: Thu Jan 4 11:58:57 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wonder where those ferrets got their agression from, milady.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]