Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Gone' Skiing
Posted: Tue Jan 2 01:21:20 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wish me luck, hope I don't fall off a cliff like last time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Harbor%20Springs,+MI
^--- the location.

Anybody else doing anything fun vacation-wise during the winter break?

Posted: Tue Jan 2 01:21:57 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  wtf is that ' doing up there in the title

you! you there! '! Get outa there!

choke Posted: Tue Jan 2 02:47:20 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Going to Big Day Out, day long concert with heaps of bands, including TOOL and MUSE.

Then we're going to see the drag queens.

Posted: Tue Jan 2 05:41:14 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Then we're going to see the drag queens.

I hear they put on one hell of a show!

DanSRose Posted: Tue Jan 2 08:43:19 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's too goddam warm to go skiing here in the northeast. Goddammit.

FN Posted: Tue Jan 2 09:24:09 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't ski out of principle

DanSRose Posted: Tue Jan 2 10:33:59 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What principle is that?

FN Posted: Tue Jan 2 11:57:05 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The principle that I don't do stuff with that kind of low rentability when you compare the joy you get out of it to the high risk (and to a lesser extent cost) involved.

I've seen some horrible stuff happen (like really serious and life endagering injuries) to people I know who thought it was in fact worth it when they decided to go skiing.

And to add insult to injury the gear and stuff costs a fortune, which I'd rather spend on other stuff than on snowboots that I would be able to use 2 weeks tops a year.

I watch, learn, and say I told you so, and other than that don't care too much for it.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't rule out everything just like that, but with stuff like skiing there's just too much beyond my personal control that can go wrong for me to be worth going out to look for trouble by throwing myself off a mountain side without brakes, because in the end unless you're really good and can pick up some crazy speed I reckon there's not much to it.

And I don't like having to go to a ski area and being forced to do nothing but ski. I'd rather spend that same money on a city trip or whatever, or go to a similar area without cables and flashy fluorescent outfits ruining the scenery.

addi Posted: Tue Jan 2 12:20:21 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love to ski, but I respect where you're coming from, Christophe. To each their own.
It is amazing how much money it comes to when you add up equipment, lodging, lift ticket, food, transportation to the area, etc...
That's mostly why I don't go near as often as I once did...and why I never plan on taking up golfing for recreation.

But, man...the powdery snow covered slopes, the mountains, Telluride, CO., the apes ski with a glass of hot spiced wine and a fireplace going...it's hard to beat for me.

libra Posted: Tue Jan 2 13:06:49 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Haha, oohh Chris, you totally just explained my entire reasoning for not skiing too...

addi Posted: Tue Jan 2 13:30:20 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This whole risk thing got me a thinkin'

I'm convinced people must have some genetic make up that controls what they like to experience and what seems too risky.

I loved to ski, but it was never to go as fast as I could bombing down the hill. I much prefered graceful slolom skiing and moguls to pure speed. I don't like that out of control feeling like some do.
So downhill skiing is a risk I feel comfortable taking that other people don't. However, there's a limit to what I feel comfortable doing. I have NO desire whatsoever to bungee jump off a tower, or hang from a rock 100 feet above the ground, or to skydive...the thought scares the crap out of me..the risk isn't worth the thrill for me.

The funny/ironic thing about all this is that I'm sure every time I get on the highway to drive to work I'm taking a bigger risk with my life than I ever would jumping out of a plane.

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Tue Jan 2 13:36:49 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  

>
>But, man...the powdery snow covered slopes, the mountains, Telluride, CO., the apes ski with a glass of hot spiced wine and a fireplace going...it's hard to beat for me.

meh you can see all of that too when you go mountainclimbing, and then there aren't jukkie people skiing in your way to enjoy the scenery
Although the material also costs a fortune and you need to know what you are doing of you also take a little tumble of the cliff but, really, nothing beets walking on a glacier, or climbing rocks in the most beautifull setting ever invented :)
And when you get down, you'll also need to warm up,..., with some wine or other liquids :)

But honestly I have to say I enjoyed skiing too (we had the possibility to go skiing with school), but I don't think I do alot of skiing in the future

But langlauff (or how the hell do you guys call it) is alot of fun too :), and that doens't a fortune...

God I just wish it starts snowing over here.Yesterday it was 10 degrees out here, fucking global warming! I need snow!
and I need it now, not 2 months from now (when it will eventually snow) but then I'll probably want sun
I'm hard to please :)

addi Posted: Tue Jan 2 13:53:58 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ~Just Imagine~ said:

>meh you can see all of that too when you go mountainclimbing, and then there aren't jukkie people skiing in your way to enjoy the scenery

Some of the people you see skiing actually add to the scenery, but I won't elaborate on that : )

>Although the material also costs a fortune and you need to know what you are doing of you also take a little tumble of the cliff

a little tumble off the cliff? Sounds like a blast! : )

>but, really, nothing beets walking on a glacier, or climbing rocks in the most beautifull setting ever invented :)

I'd love the scenery mountain climbing...it's what you have to do to get there that I don't care much for.

>God I just wish it starts snowing over here.Yesterday it was 10 degrees out here, fucking global warming! I need snow!

I think a lot of the ski resorts here are hurting too. Maybe the rockies is fine around Denver, but I know the smaller resorts on the upper midwest and certain parts of the east are praying for some snow..real soon.

choke Posted: Tue Jan 2 14:45:56 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't prefer skiing because I never go to the mountain during the day. We usually go up around 1-2am rolling drunk when the ski fields are closed and we throw ourselves down the mountains on tyres and car parts and listen to the silence. It's something I wish everyone could experience.

addi Posted: Tue Jan 2 14:52:15 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>It's something I wish everyone could experience.

I was drunk once. It wasn't all that it was hyped up to be

choke Posted: Wed Jan 3 01:24:03 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>choke said:
>>It's something I wish everyone could experience.
>
>
>I was drunk once. It wasn't all that it was hyped up to be

Lol not that part :P Just the feeling of being the only people in the world, the stillness and the moon and the snow... It just has a way of making you okay with everything.

addi Posted: Wed Jan 3 06:29:59 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:

>Lol not that part :P Just the feeling of being the only people in the world, the stillness and the moon and the snow... It just has a way of making you okay with everything.

: )

I knew that's what you meant, tiff. I just can't get in that peaceful state myself when I'm "rolling drunk"...all the pink elephants around me ruin that alone feeling.

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Wed Jan 3 12:02:08 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:

>
>Lol not that part :P Just the feeling of being the only people in the world, the stillness and the moon and the snow... It just has a way of making you okay with everything.

I know that feeling, and it is really an amazing feeling, even when you're a bit drunk :) (the beeing okay with everything is probably the result of beeing a bit tipsy :) )

Posted: Fri Jan 5 17:06:19 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm back! I didn't die!

I actually had a blast. Log cabin at the base of the mountain, two minute cross-country ski from the back porch to the lift. Literally about a seven minute period between getting out of bed and being on top of a mountain. Hell of a lot better than a coffee.

addi Posted: Fri Jan 5 17:38:13 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Glad you made it back safely, Crim. Sounds like a great time.

So tell us all about the snow bunnies there
: )

FN Posted: Fri Jan 5 20:16:55 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm pleased that you have returned in good health

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]