Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Move? Continents? Really?
JesusOnline Posted: Sat Feb 17 11:57:05 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So 3 work colleagues of mine are emigrating to New Zealand.

It's a job offer to good for them to turn down, in spite of having to leave for the other side of the world.

I don't really want to focus this thread on New Zealand (although anything anyone has to say on NZ is more than welcome to it) as such, so it's more of a general focus.

So focus, for any of you who have left your home country for another - how have you found the transition, thoughts or stories on the subject?

-And they’ve all been discussing what they plan on taking with them and what they’re leaving behind, we’ve all concluded that a supply of Irn Bru is essential.

So secondly if ‘theoretically’ you were in this situation what would you HAVE to take with you, what are those things that you have that you can't live without.

addi Posted: Sat Feb 17 12:25:38 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Never been there so I have nothing of value to add, but choke is a native and she's chock full of useful tidbits about everything NZ. She's a righteous Dudette.

I lived in England for a semester back in my college days and it was a wonderful experience, but I've never "moved" to another country. Someday maybe when I grow up I'd like to spend a few years experiencing life in another country....someplace exotic like Canada.
: )

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sat Feb 17 12:42:19 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have family that lived in Nz for a while, now they moved to australia, they love it alot. I think it's a nice place to move/travel to.

If I decided to move to another country, I wouldn't ever go alone, I would like the love of my life to come with me (if I find that guy eventually ;) ).

I would like to travel alot and see the world, but always with the thought to come back home, my real home. I would miss my friends and the place where I grew up way to much. I consider it as a basecamp, from where you can take of , experience alot but at the end this is the place where you have to come back to ,take a rest and then take of again.

choke Posted: Sat Feb 17 20:53:57 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh! Oh! Ask me stuff!

JesusOnline Posted: Sun Feb 18 02:42:54 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Oh! Oh! Ask me stuff!

As much as I'm sure you'd be a reliable resource in all things NZ, I don't have any questions about NZ really.

I don't have any plans to leave Scotland, I'd happily stay in the situation I'm in right now for the next 20 or so years and probably (I think) not regret it at all.

But, the 3 of them leaving has obviously got me thinking about it. - Could I?
Would I?
Or would I let it all slip by because mainly I'm just not quite ready to give up my friends yet?

FN Posted: Sun Feb 18 06:28:38 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't really get the point of moving somewhere unless the place you're in is really utter shit.

I can't think of single reason why you'd be better off living in paris/berlin/brussels/new york/whatever instead of in the suburbs.

addi Posted: Sun Feb 18 06:57:36 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>I can't think of single reason why you'd be better off living in paris/berlin/brussels/new york/whatever instead of in the suburbs.

to each their own I guess. I can think of many reasons myself..especially when compared to most bland city suburbs in the U.S.
But Jesus is asking if we could move to another country, and there are so many factors to consider in that decision, like...going alone or with another person? Would I be able to get back if a family member became ill? What would my living situation be like there? What kind of work would I do? Does this place offer Bryer's Ice Cream? I know questions like these and others would need to be answered before I would make a move like that.

One of the good things about being younger though is that sometimes you head off on adventures without really thinking them out and end up doing things that are great experiences in life. Life is richer and more full when you take some risks.

CorDrine Posted: Wed Feb 21 00:50:47 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I agree with addi. Sometimes, you don't need to ask too many questions. Cause the more you ask, the more doubt you might get, and in the end, you just never make the move.

I've been living away from my hometown for 9 years now. Reason for leaving: better study and work opportunity, more money, more freedom, safety, and more exposure to the world. No regrets for leaving. But nothing can ever compare to home.

For me, it would be great if I can live in a different country every 10 years or so :)

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]