Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

since we have so many insomniacs
Ahriman Posted: Mon Feb 19 16:07:50 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What are the late night spots in your town/area?
Bars, clubs, 24/7 diners, underground cafes, etc.

mat_j Posted: Mon Feb 19 16:15:21 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Buffalos is the most popular non super club style haunt in cardiff that regualrly features burlesque nights and other such waifery.

Callaghans used to be the best late night ale house but they stopped open mic and don't open til wednesday

you can get a steak at the Taurus or charleston until 6am- the taurus is cheaper but the charleston has Dennis the Einstein haired madman with more Gold than Mr T.

Floyds is open until late, thursday nights the 1930s crooning style of Mr Fred Snow can be enjoyed and for authenticity it doesn't have any beer taps and a sports a wapping big coke grove on the bar.

Dempseys- sight of the bi yearly Whiskey quest, where keeper of the grain (yours trully) takes a cadre of brave volunteers into the depths of their brains and everyone elses on thirteen different single malts (My record's 18, more than killed Dylan Thomas).

If your ever down my way look me up, i'll take you on a tour, contact me via myspace.

free of charge too ;-)

jennemmer Posted: Tue Feb 20 00:38:37 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I unfortunately live in the suburbs.

Places open after 10pm & under a 10 minute drive:
-McDonalds
-Wendy's
-El Burrito Loco
-the grocery store
-a tiny little karaoke bar

That's about it. Getting off work at 10 sucks - last thing I want to do is go home and make food but there really is no reasonable alternative. (if willing to drive an extra 5 minutes I can add a Target, a 7-11, Dunkin Donuts and a Denny's to the list :p )

Posted: Tue Feb 20 01:55:33 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  When I'm looking for some quiet after hours time with some friends, often we go to Dillon Hall, at the university of windsor; it's a hundred and twenty year old building from back when the school still had a strictly Catholic sect to it, and the architecture is still very reminiscent of that time. Nobody is ever in the building past midnight, and I've had a key since first year.

Otherwise, the Dominion House on the Detroit River is the oldest tavern west of Montreal. Terrible area of town (smack in the middle of the west-end slums), but great people. Two crowds ever show up: the irish and the french, and they get along alright.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Tue Feb 20 06:24:50 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  bars and more bars I live in a very wet college town... (hears addi typing something pervy in reply to this) I can't stand booze and boozers so I pretty much stay away unless there is a very kickass concert that I have to see.

There are alot of coffee shops in the area and I love a few of them.

The local comic shop stays open until 11 so I can get the latest updates on nightcrawler, fables, model, gunslinger girl, and too many to list... ;)

the cosmic cantina is awesome for cheap mexican and there is a good crowd in there most nights. Mostly college crowd most nights.

skylight exchange/nightlight (depends on the time of day) has great small bands and open mikes. I love their fresh made right there sandwhiches and smoothies.

there's an all night (3am is closing) little club next door to skylight and i can't remember the name right now... :( It's where all the alt ppl hang with their tats and mods... :P I have both so I'm not making fun of them. It's a bar/resturant and the music is abit too loud sometimes for my ears. But good music cool people good eats.

cat's cradle is an awesome concert venue and it closes whenever the last band finishes. I've stumbled out of there around 3/4am before. Wonderful musicians come through such a tiny little place. I saw David Grey and The strokes. I actually got to shake hands, get autographs and talk with the band members something that is never done at other venues.

that's about it. i'm not a terribly social human. i prefer the comic shop, coffee shop, or home... with the occasional concert tossed in. i'm going to see the decemberists april 3 the day before my bday this year and i'm pumped.

addi Posted: Tue Feb 20 07:03:48 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mrs.Goodfellow said:
>bars and more bars I live in a very wet college town... (hears addi typing something pervy in reply to this)

I refuse to be predictable so you'll see nothing pervy typed here...
however I am thinking all sorts of naughty things.

reading the replies here has made me realize how much I've changed over the years. Atlanta has so many places to begin to list. 20 years ago I'd have something to add here, but these days I'm not an insomniac and not a night owl. My internal body clock goes off around 5am every morning for work, so I'm an early to bed and early to rise guy now...even on weekends.
I went to a concert last friday night and got home around midnight and remember thinking "Sheesh...this is way past my bedtime."

CorDrine Posted: Tue Feb 20 09:43:32 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mamak stall, roti prata and teh tarik.
Local Malay hangout coffee shop that is usually open 24 hours a day and has cheap ginger tea.

Mark Posted: Tue Feb 20 15:55:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I hate to say it, but in the tiny village I live in there are none :( Not to my liking anyway, the few spots to go at night are only open in the weekends and are for the people a few years younger than me. A one hour drive away is Amsterdam :) There we have Paradiso, the best place to spend a Wednesday night :D

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Feb 20 16:17:51 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CorDrine said:
>Mamak stall, roti prata and teh tarik.
>Local Malay hangout coffee shop that is usually open 24 hours a day and has cheap ginger tea.
>
Does anyone else here take their tea with cream and sugar, or am I the only one ?

choke Posted: Tue Feb 20 18:02:46 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>>
>Does anyone else here take their tea with cream and sugar, or am I the only one ?

Milk and honey sorry.

In Taupo there are a few clubs that everyone goes to, but pubs and clubs are a combined establishment so you get a mix of fun people and gross slobbery people, good people and people who just want to cause fights. They're cool to go to if you're not looking to meet anyone, because pickings are usually limited to very drunk meat heads.

Wellington I am unsure of yet, it seems very big and overwhelming and I always hear about stabbings so am reluctant to hit the city, although last night I went to a fire dancing thing in the square which goes on every Tuesday night and it was very casual and good and we had 3 bottles of red wine and explored the city at our leisure. It seemed a lot better then. So am going out tonight!

From what I've seen there are good places but they have doorcharges on weekends and expensive drinks, which will kindof be worth it because I am a snob. There's a place I saw called Boogie Wonderland which has a light up floor and disco music and looks by far the funnest place to go. :D

addi Posted: Tue Feb 20 18:15:08 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Does anyone else here take their tea with cream and sugar, or am I the only one ?

coffee man here, hif
when I do partake of it on rare occations I only use a tiny porcelain Gongfu tea cup, honey, and a raised pinky finger as I sip...it's the civilized thing to do.

only UKers (and their previous colonies) put milk in their tea.
: )

addi Posted: Tue Feb 20 18:18:09 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:

>Boogie Wonderland

great ol' disco tune. I used to dance to that back in the day in my tight black flared pants.

*what the hell was i thinking?!

Cherry_Moon Posted: Tue Feb 20 21:07:28 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

i do as well. I love chait with hazelnut creamer and honey and a tiiinnnnny bit of sugar.

Ahriman Posted: Thu Feb 22 10:54:22 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  black coffee for me.

Buffalo, New York has a lot of bars/clubs...a lot.

Merlins, Club Diablo, Club W, Allen Street Hardware (it's a cafe/bar), Sub Zero, Cozumel, Mr. Goodbar, Mohawk Place, Club Infinity, and many more.

24/7/late night eateries and such: Panos, Jim's Steakout, Lake Effect Diner, Mighty Taco, Louie's and a few more random places.

mat_j Posted: Wed Feb 28 14:54:50 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>CorDrine said:
>>Mamak stall, roti prata and teh tarik.
>>Local Malay hangout coffee shop that is usually open 24 hours a day and has cheap ginger tea.
>>

You bet your sweet ass, this country would go to bloody, murderous war over something as little as a botched tea party... oh yeah... oops

mat_j Posted: Wed Feb 28 14:56:09 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And don't get me started on coffee, it's just drugs for people who don't take drugs, I can't remember ever being high of coffee, this one guy in work talks about it all the time

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]