Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

All professional and stuff
jennemmer Posted: Thu Mar 1 00:51:33 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So, I just submitted my first real abstract for my first real presentation at a legitamate science conference.

Pretty crazy really.

I'm going to be getting up in front of a room full of people who, if they're not experts in the field, are extremely well informed and tell them about something that I know and that they don't. It's not the talk so much that I am nervous about, I'm kind of excited about that, it's the open question period at the end that _really_ has me nervous.

I know that there are a lot of people who are finishing up degrees or starting into university or getting new jobs. How are all of you dealing with your change of standing in the world? I know that while I am getting tired of being a student and getting anxious to be done I still am not quite sure I'm prepared for all of this.

Ahriman Posted: Thu Mar 1 01:13:23 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wish I lived on a little lake. Far from anyone (except my honey bunny) with a dog and a large selection of books and tackle. My "status" in this world means nothing to me. I just want to be happy.

jennemmer Posted: Thu Mar 1 01:38:40 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wasn't thinking so much in terms of status... just a shift in mentality about ones place in the world. What does it mean to no longer be a teenager, or student, or single, or living at home, etc.

I was realising that I'm going to start to be taken seriously in my little corner of the world. It's exciting and daunting. Expectations get higher but with that comes more opportunities to be involved in research that I'm excited about. And it feels a lot like graduating highschool or moving out for the first time and all of those other moments that make me think about the world and how I fit into it.

But maybe it's just late and I'm rambling...

Ahriman Posted: Thu Mar 1 02:31:05 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I moved out right after high school ended. I've been living on my own supporting myself for...coming up on a year in June. Nothing really feels different anywhere or anytime for me. I'm just happy when I can relax in the woods or by the lake.

Happiest time in my life was sitting under a tree when I was 9 with a good book (The Three Musketeers, War of the Worlds, and Rifles for Watie were my books that summer) watching over my sheep. Occasionally getting up to pick an apple from the trees down at the end of the pasture. Bailey, my collie, walking along with me and sleeping at my feet. *sigh*.

I fit into nothing in this world. I'm me. Had you seen me today in downtown Buffalo: A long haired teenager with a 5'o'clock shadow walking along the ice covered sidewalk greeting passing pedestrians and carrying a copy of The Story of the Mind by James Mark Baldwin. Occasionally stopping into the random shop. Tattoo parlors to see designs and works. Coffee shops to get a cup of house brew. A bookstore to look around and flirt with the cute girl behind the counter (I flirt with a lot of girls). Ending at the Falafel Bar to have an Israeli wrap and talk to the line cook who is a fellow culinary student. Then coming back to his car to find he had illegally parked and thus swearing in german for ten minutes.

Where do I fit?

I fit in my shoes. Size 14. I fit in my coat. 10 bucks at a thrift store. I fit in the chair in the back corner of Spot coffee with a mug and book. But above all else, I fit on the roots of the oak tree sitting in the middle of the pasture with my favorite companion sleeping next to me.

I ramble toooo.

libra Posted: Thu Mar 1 02:32:57 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like denial.

innocenceNonus Posted: Thu Mar 1 02:40:08 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like pie...

Shifting positions kinda scares me when it's unexpected. But a lack of the shift frustrates me when it's wanted.

but i bet it IS daunting. still, i think it's very cool that i'm talking to a knowledgable scientist that's not lecturing and that ::gasp:: is a real person.

i have this problem where i don't really see my professors or other authority figures as people but more as their title in my life...

Ahriman Posted: Thu Mar 1 02:42:22 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I got one of my teachers drunk in high school and he said a lot of things. Ever since then I just saw all authority figures as just people.

Ahriman Posted: Thu Mar 1 02:49:28 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love lamp

Ahriman Posted: Thu Mar 1 02:52:40 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Holy shit. It's 2007!

beetlebum Posted: Thu Mar 1 05:00:56 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>I love lamp

haha.

beetlebum Posted: Thu Mar 1 05:04:21 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm ready for the "real world", if only to be done with exams.

i dreamt last night that i went to my first exam (in a series of 8), and the invigilators asked for my thesis before admittance. and i didn't have a thesis, because i elected *not* to do one (which is true in real life). but they said that there had been a misunderstanding, because without a thesis i would by default fail exams. they then proceeded to physically remove me from the exam schools.

i woke up crying. seriously.

addi Posted: Thu Mar 1 06:37:47 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:

>Pretty crazy really.

pretty cool really.

congratulations, jenn. going thru the academic rites of passage. If you're really nervous during the presentation just imagine Myk naked...that should help.

seems like a majority of the posters here were in their teens when I first came aboard. Now everyone is advancing on to uni or colleges or graduating and in their 20's (or almost there).
We're all growing old together.

jennemmer Posted: Thu Mar 1 09:09:37 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
> I'm just happy when I can relax in the woods or by the lake.

My mom actually made that move. When she and my dad separated part of the deal was that my dad got the house and my mom got our cabin. She couldn't afford to keep both the cabin and an apartment in the city and it cost her very little to live there so she is making a living sitting up in the fire tower for the national parks department (yes, they do still have people who sit up in the tower for 8 hours looking for smoke) and doing pottery.

She's doing what she loves but it was still an adjustment for her.

innocenceNonus said:
>Shifting positions kinda scares me when it's unexpected. But a lack of the shift frustrates me when it's wanted.

I know that feeling too. I'm starting to get tired of this whole student thing... just a couple of years to go :p

>i think it's very cool that i'm talking to a knowledgable scientist that's not lecturing and that ::gasp:: is a real person.

All too real. Most are pretty down to earth and crazy enough in their own ways. I had the same problem with seeing my professors as authority figures. With a boyfriend who is a teacher and finally ending up on a first name basis and friendly terms with most of the people who have been my professors I'm starting to get over that. (Trying to fold origami with one's advisor while both somewhat drunk on Gin and Tonics makes it hard too keep that 'authority figure' thing going ;)

Beetlebum said:
>...Stuff about stressing dreams...

That sucks. I hope you're hanging in there alright. I'll be rooting for you.

And thanks addi.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Mar 1 09:20:38 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:
>Ahriman said:
>> I'm just happy when I can relax in the woods or by the lake.
>
>
>My mom actually made that move. When she and my dad separated part of the deal was that my dad got the house and my mom got our cabin. She couldn't afford to keep both the cabin and an apartment in the city and it cost her very little to live there so she is making a living sitting up in the fire tower for the national parks department (yes, they do still have people who sit up in the tower for 8 hours looking for smoke) and doing pottery.
>
That's just too cool !
:-)

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Mar 1 11:55:11 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm with ahriman.

the happiest times of my short life have been the quiet life.

my standing in the world is still pretty low. i've stopped everything and am lost in a cycle of work and sleeping and occasionally eating.

i'm ready to go back to college get a 9-5 job and have time to go out and play in the woods.

redonelast Posted: Sun Mar 11 11:22:46 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:
>So, I just submitted my first real abstract for my first real presentation at a legitamate science conference.
>
>Pretty crazy really.
>
>I'm going to be getting up in front of a room full of people who, if they're not experts in the field, are extremely well informed and tell them about something that I know and that they don't. It's not the talk so much that I am nervous about, I'm kind of excited about that, it's the open question period at the end that _really_ has me nervous.
>
>I know that there are a lot of people who are finishing up degrees or starting into university or getting new jobs. How are all of you dealing with your change of standing in the world? I know that while I am getting tired of being a student and getting anxious to be done I still am not quite sure I'm prepared for all of this.

Finished grad school in Sept of '07 and had no clue what I wanted to do with life. Didn't help too much that I had a broken heart at the time either. So I took 6 months to live in a different city, on my own, and realized, that family and friends are probably the most important thing to me. School and money are good and all, but they can still leave you with that empty feeling.

I actually remember going to my supervisor's house for a BBQ once, and he proceeded to get drunk..and say, it doesn't matter how many papers you publish, someone on the street doesn't know or care, and other people usually don't either. It really is only a part of you, but the sum of the other parts are much greater.

Good Luck with your presentation though, practice, practice, I remember my first one, scared as hell :P

addi Posted: Sun Mar 11 11:34:02 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  please pardon my nosiness, redonelast...but who are you? tell us a little about yourself if you're new here. I see march 3rd was your first post, unless you're an oldie that just changed names.

thanks

redonelast Posted: Fri Mar 16 21:34:59 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>please pardon my nosiness, redonelast...but who are you? tell us a little about yourself if you're new here. I see march 3rd was your first post, unless you're an oldie that just changed names.
>
>thanks

No, I'm new.
24, female, born and raised in Canada. Ethnicity is a mess, just finished grad school, yay!!
Moving back to a big city soon, living with 10000 other people *shudders*, I hate small cities.

addi Posted: Sat Mar 17 07:15:42 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  redonelast said:

>No, I'm new.
>24, female, born and raised in Canada. Ethnicity is a mess, just finished grad school, yay!!

Cool. It's nice to have some new blood here. GT can never have enough Canadian females on board. You north of the border folk are the salt of the earth and the voice of reason in troubled times..plus all Canadian women are hot! : )

Welcome aboard. What did you study in grad school?

jennemmer Posted: Sat Mar 17 10:52:24 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  

>No, I'm new.
>24, female, born and raised in Canada. Ethnicity is a mess, just finished grad school, yay!!
>Moving back to a big city soon, living with 10000 other people *shudders*, I hate small cities.
>

Now I'm curious - what about grad school had you living in a place with only 10000 people? I can only think of one University with a grad program in a small town - and that might mean that you know my sister... or was the small town where you went after you were done?

redonelast Posted: Sun Mar 18 16:25:28 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:

>Now I'm curious - what about grad school had you living in a place with only 10000 people? I can only think of one University with a grad program in a small town - and that might mean that you know my sister... or was the small town where you went after you were done?

I was working and going to school at the same time, and the company I worked for was located in a small town, so I worked out of there once I finished my classes. I don't think my University can be considered small, we had over 30,000 students I believe.

Does your sister go to Acadia, or one of the Ontarian schools?

Thanks Addi, I studied Statistics...it was fun!!
And yes Canadian women are hot ;)

addi Posted: Sun Mar 18 18:03:13 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  redonelast said:

>Thanks Addi, I studied Statistics...it was fun!!

statistics fun?! my god woman you need professional help right away. I only pray it's not too late!

>And yes Canadian women are hot ;)

except when it's minus 20 degrees in the dead of winter..then they can be kinda cold and distant.

: )

redonelast Posted: Mon Mar 19 01:54:02 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  

>except when it's minus 20 degrees in the dead of winter..then they can be kinda cold and distant.
>
>: )

Nah, that's a great excuse for cuddling ;)
And minus 20 is livable, it's when it's -30 and there's a windchill and a pile of snow on your car..

addi Posted: Mon Mar 19 06:09:55 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  redonelast said:

>Nah, that's a great excuse for cuddling ;)

I'll give you that one, as long as you have someone (or something) you want to cuddle with.

>And minus 20 is livable, it's when it's -30 and there's a windchill and a pile of snow on your car..

...and a polar bear in your bathtub.

: )

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]