Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Are you excited about life?
CorDrine Posted: Fri Mar 16 20:14:23 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In general, are you? Or are you just living day to day withouht giving it much thoughts?

Mesh Posted: Fri Mar 16 20:24:45 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  For the time being, yes very much so.

CorDrine Posted: Fri Mar 16 20:33:37 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mr. Misses said:
>For the time being, yes very much so.
Erm, what are you excited about?

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Mar 16 21:34:52 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  incredibly excited !

Posted: Fri Mar 16 21:40:02 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i' m sitting in a hotel room in san francisco right now using web-on-tv. I've got a lot of hard decisions to make, and I'm awful lonely here.

Have any of you ever just packed up and started somewhere new? When did it stop feeling so foreign?

jennemmer Posted: Fri Mar 16 23:31:49 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  >Have any of you ever just packed up and started somewhere new? When did it stop feeling so foreign?

Hotel rooms are terrible. I don't think you could ever not feel like you are somewhere foreign while staying in one.

I've moved somewhere completely new twice now. Once I've had a chance to explore a bit and find an out-of-the-way book store or coffee shop to frequent I start to feel more at home. Most importantly though it's been once I've found a friend or two. It sounds cheesy but I've always found that I need that personal connection or it is just another place that I've been.

innocenceNonus Posted: Sat Mar 17 00:54:17 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Have any of you ever just packed up and started somewhere new? When did it stop feeling so foreign?

yes... been blessed enough to do that a few times now.

once it never stopped feeling foreign. another felt like a home about to break. and another just feels... new. not foreign... but new.

in a very trippy [hahaha, this is punny... you shall see why] part of my life, i was offered the chance to go to spain with my high school. i put the thought out of my head because it cost too much, but one night, i had a flash of dream in my sleep where i was packing for the trip.

i remember waking up and thinking it would never happen.

BUT, by some miracle, i got the trip paid for in full. and when i was packing, i went through the same flash. [anyone know what this is called?]

well, on this trip, i kept getting these weird feelings of deja vue. and instead of going to sevilla like we were supposed to on one leg of our trip, we ended up going to some random small town in portugal.

and the whole time there, i saw very few people... and it was a really sleepy town. but i couldn't shake the feeling that something was really familiar about it...

still haven't figured all that out... but i guess we'll see.

Ahriman Posted: Sat Mar 17 02:12:58 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm excited about life mostly when I can feel it. Being inside a windowless kitchen leaves no really connection. Makes me sad :(

antartica Posted: Sat Mar 17 05:03:31 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sure i'm excited if you consider being in the middle of nowhere in the Gulf of Thailand exciting... :p
haha

ok ok i'm being an ass here... but heck

just before i came out for this job, i got pulled into the interview office by the HR person and had a chat... they asked me when i was plannin on quitting (i'd told them i was thinking of leaving to head back to school or something, and had been dragging for a coupla months now to see where i could go)... so they tell me that instead of me hanging on by the fray of a thread, they could help me decide and asked me to turn in my notice that day... for the 1st-31st March for my one month notice... (this was 27 Feb)... WELL SCREW EM!!! i turned it in that day and dated my last day as the 26th March... hence effectively making use of Feb...

2 hours later in the afternoon they talk to me again and tell me that one of the boys on the job had to be changed out ASAP coz he had a family emergency and they had no one to head out for him??? i mean WTF!!??!!?? coz the other 2 fellas who regularly head onto this location are sitting on their arses back home on their time off and they ask me to come out... but what the hey, better i come out here and get a few more clams doing so than to see the strom clouds over the bosss' heads...

so yeah. life was not terribly exciting then with the prospect of having no more job in a coupla weeks... as something else i'd been offered to do has been "in the pipeline" for so long i'm worried that it's just gonna go tits up...

then a few days back, things suddenly took a major turn, the rig company's director of operations was coming out for a visit and i had to give him one of the arrival briefings and heck i was in a "balls in throat" kinda feeling coz regionally for that company (i'm leaving all names out here) he's like the 3rd biggest Kahuna out here... so you don't even think of buggering things up... but apparently he was sufficiently impressed with me

so next morning he had a chat with me and asked how long i'd been doing this and what i'd seen myself doing after... blah blah blah blah blah then he asks me to send in my papers for him to consider...

so... to make a long story short... heck yeah i am excited right now... :)

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Mar 17 06:42:30 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Congrats Ant, that's great news !

Crim, you'll be fine wherever you land, and hey, it's almost time for baseball and I hear they have a baseball team Frisco too.
The only real problem with Frisco is it's full of San Fransiscans, but if you decide to move there, I'm sure you're gonna knock em dead !

addi Posted: Sat Mar 17 06:58:04 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:

I experienced that before, Crim. That "foreign" feeling eventually goes away, but only with the passing of time..which unfortunately you can't speed up. The factors that will make you feel at home quicker in a new place are...
settling in your own place (as opposed to a hotel).
Getting used to your job and the people you work with.
Making some new friends
Getting to know the streets and layout of a new city, and finding a few places to become a "regular" at.

Are you interviewing for that job now, or have you already accepted it and moved to San Fran?

addi Posted: Sat Mar 17 07:03:59 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>The only real problem with Frisco is it's full of San Fransiscans,

lol
It's a good thing your not a right-wing conservative, Crim. San Fran equals Hell for them.

BTW...if you ever find yourself on Castro steet it's a good idea not to bend over to pick up something on the sidewalk.
: )

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Mar 17 13:54:56 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>The only real problem with Frisco is it's full of San Fransiscans,
>
>lol
>It's a good thing your not a right-wing conservative, Crim. San Fran equals Hell for them.
>
Are you kidding ? If your even close to center San Fran is hell for you.
:-)

antartica Posted: Sun Mar 18 03:21:28 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Congrats Ant, that's great news !

thanks brother :)

addi Posted: Mon Mar 19 06:30:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>i' m sitting in a hotel room in san francisco right now using web-on-tv.

so fill us in on what major life changing decisions you've come to, and the best place to get fish tacos.

Posted: Mon Mar 19 23:42:18 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>CriminalSaint said:
>>i' m sitting in a hotel room in san francisco right now using web-on-tv.
>
>so fill us in on what major life changing decisions you've come to, and the best place to get fish tacos.

San Francisco was absolutely stunning. The piers were amazing, and I should mention: the offices I'd be working at are actually on one of the piers. That is, over the ocean. I was a beacon of joy when I found that out, even more so when I saw it for myself.

The weird thing I found about SF was that literally entire districts (the financial district, really) shut down after working hours. I've noticed this with financial areas in Detroit and Toronto, but only around 9-10pm. At 6pm you couldn't find a taxi out of the area to save your life.

Chinatown was weird, but felt very authentic (then again, what would I know?). Telegraph Hill and Nob Hill were both absolutely beautiful. Fisherman's Wharf was pretty cool. Pier 39 was touristy but nice.

The real estate prices are through the roof, but luckily this job pays a lot of dough.

I'm waiting on word from the company. It looks good, if you ask me, but I'm not the word to trust on the matter.

The long and the short of it: If this works out and the job becomes is surefire mine, I'm taking it. That city is just too beautiful and social and buzzing for me to turn down, the job is doing work I'd love, and I can defer law school acceptance for up to three years if I so choose.

Of course, I'd have to start going to San Francisco Giants games, and pardon my french, but fuck the National League, man.

addi Posted: Tue Mar 20 05:26:53 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:

>Of course, I'd have to start going to San Francisco Giants games, and pardon my french, but fuck the National League, man.

lol
I know the feeling. I had to turn from a Twins fan into a Braves fan when I moved down here..13 years here and it still hasn't happened : )

Sounds good. I've spent a little time there and really liked the city. Let's hope it doesn't decide to fall into the ocean right after you move there. Maybe you can meet Libra and Canadian Boy sometime for a fish taco.

misszero Posted: Mon Mar 26 00:42:51 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  excited and scared.
I just quit uni for the 3rd time, because i was sick of getting more and more debts. And because i figured out what i want to do with my life, but it involves a course that doesn't start until next year.
So I'm excited about figuring that out. But I am scared because I'm now living on unemployment benefits and 1 shift a week at K-Mart (this week i actually have no shifts at all). This means that I am very very poor. And I have to pay rent and feed myself and all that. But I am mostly scared because this is going to force me to look for a new job, or figure out another way of supporting myself (I don't really like being on the dole again). I have some ideas, but they all involve creating things and selling them to other people (because making things is something i can do and something i enjoy doing). This is scary because... WHAT IF I FAIL? lol. what if people don't like the things i make? They've always just been gifts before, and people have liked them because i made them just for that person.
But i am excited that people will like them and that I'll make lots of money, hahaha. I am also excited because I really really wanna buy a house and property prices are dropping slightly, so by the time I get a real job (in say 3 years) they will be more affordable than they have been in the past decade. Hooray! Oh, and i also got a new housemate. I found a giant block of cheese and a huge jug of milk in the fridge. I forgot how much boys like dairy products, haha.

addi Posted: Mon Mar 26 07:19:41 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:

>I forgot how much boys like dairy products, haha.

lol

Mmmmm....milk

go for it, misszero!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]