Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Poor and miserable?
mat_j Posted: Mon Jun 4 14:24:19 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ok who are the stupid arses who chose poor and miserable??

DanSRose Posted: Mon Jun 4 15:08:18 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Have you been reading transcripts from American politicians again? That will give you cancer of the pelvic region.
I didn't watch the debate and I don't plan to watch the next one.

The office is closed today. I'm wearing jeans at 2:30 and I think that after this weekend and not being able to get to sleep until 5 after driving all day and night, I will finish my drink (an adult drink) and take a fucking nap .

Pan's Labyrinth is one of th best films I've ever seen.

Ahriman Posted: Wed Jun 6 01:16:52 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I guess I'm poor. I'm not really miserable though.

innocenceNonus Posted: Wed Jun 6 03:52:24 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  me. because i'd actually want a good reason to be miserable.

if you're rich and miserable, what reasons would you have to be miserable?? every one that i can think of isn't good.

but if you're POOR and miserable, you at least have ONE decent reason to be miserable.

FN Posted: Wed Jun 6 04:29:02 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Maybe you could be rich and miserable because you have testicular cancer

I'd say that's about as good a reason as you get

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Jun 6 11:46:17 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i am already poor. but not really miserable. i wish i could pick a third option. to be well enough off to take care of bills and still have a little extra for the random party, movie night, etc. i work constantly but that is a good thing. finally got my things moved into the new apartment. i'm tired but that's nothing new.

PackMan Posted: Wed Jun 6 15:46:01 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my uncle is miserable. He lost his family (divorce) and has almost lost his job several times because of alcoholism. He also has almost a dozen cars and boats and lives in a very upper class exclusive neighborhood in LA. He has no friends and has built himself a world of shiny, new things that don't make him happy. As cliche as it sounds, money has NOT brought him happiness. There are reasons for poor people to be happy, and for rich people to be miserable. I feel money can lead to problems in your life (it has in mine, for sure), but being happy or miserable is a mindset, not a financial report.

DanSRose Posted: Wed Jun 6 16:37:38 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I feel like a dick for my original post for not reading the poll and being a bit drunk.

Rich and miserable. When I am miserable, I tend to buy things, with 80% going to things and presents and just because stuff for my friends. I also donate to in large amounts to charity if I am really miserable. The less others are miserable makes me feel momentarily better.
There is no causal relationship for me with money and joy for me. But if I can do something nice for people I love, it will be a bit better.

The man in Christophe's sig picture looks like Ronald Reagan.

innocenceNonus Posted: Thu Jun 7 03:18:50 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Maybe you could be rich and miserable because you have testicular cancer
>
>I'd say that's about as good a reason as you get

But if I were rich and miserable because I had some form of cancer [implying how I'm such a man, Christophe??] or any other disease-- even then, wouldn't doing something with my money make me feel better? Or wouldn't I be able to afford better medicine? But if I were STILL miserable, what good reason would that be? That you have money, which takes care of SO many things in our society, going for you, yet you're STILL miserable despite anything you do with it...

And honestly, the only time I enjoy my money is when I don't have it anymore. So really... what's the point of being rich if you're consistently too miserable to enjoy it?

FN Posted: Thu Jun 7 05:11:48 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You're turning the reasoning around though.

The question was not wether having money implies you're not miserable, it was wether you would rather be

a) miserable + poor

or

b) miserable + rich

beetlebum Posted: Thu Jun 7 05:38:59 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>You're turning the reasoning around though.
>
that's what i thought, too.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Jun 7 06:16:55 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't think it matters to me. If one is to be miserable anyway what difference will being rich or poor make ?

beetlebum Posted: Thu Jun 7 06:53:48 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  even if i were miserable, it'd be nice to have money to help the people i love.

innocenceNonus Posted: Thu Jun 7 07:43:27 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>The question was not whether having money implies you're not miserable, it was whether you would rather be
>a) miserable + poor
>or
>b) miserable + rich

I know. But if that IS the question, then the role of money HAS to play into it because you're picking between two options on which the SOLE DIFFERENCE is the financial situation.

So, I imagined all the reasons why I'd be miserable and poor.
Then, I imagined all the reasons why I'd be miserable and rich.

And the reasons for being miserable and poor seemed far more understandable and less disgusting than all the reasons for being miserable and rich.

You could either read into the question and put things between the lines, or you could take the question at face value. Connotations or denotations.

And then you suggested the possibility of a disease causing misery. And that's a good reason to throw into the mix, but I'd still stick with poor.

Because even with a disease mixed in, I still can't see how being rich would make a difference...

Beetlebum's reasoning for being rich and miserable is a far better one, in my opinion. But, since we're talking about me and how I view things, I'd still pick poor. Because if I were someone else and someone who was miserable and rich gave me money to help me out, I wouldn't want it. Because it's misery money...

Call it superstition or stubbornness or a failure to appreciate the value of a dollar. I hate money, and I'd rather be miserable without it.

And I have a feeling people might call me a liar for not liking money so much... but everyone's entitled to their opinion, and i've already stated mine. if it weren't for the necessity or prevalence within our society... if we were given a choice to live without money, i would want to.

FN Posted: Thu Jun 7 10:02:05 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:
>I hate money, and I'd rather be miserable without it.

Right. Be sure to send it my way.

>if we were given a choice to live without money, i would want to.

You can perfectly live without money if you want to.

Mesh Posted: Thu Jun 7 19:06:11 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  HERE!!!

Mesh Posted: Thu Jun 7 19:07:17 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I don't think it matters to me. If one is to be miserable anyway what difference will being rich or poor make ?
>
>

More money for drugs.

Forget your worries, man. Even though you're piling them higher.

sweet p Posted: Thu Jun 7 23:34:43 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i actually chose poor and miserable.
because i'm slightly ignorant on both sides.

i've never been really rich and i've never been really poor.

i've KNOWN rich miserable people and they made me sick. they couldn't appreciate a single thing they had. because i've experienced my own version of being "poor", i have this weird notion in my head that if i am poor and miserable, there may still be hope. i could get a good job or win the lottery or move and get new friends or meet the love of my life or get a new hobby. and i see myself appreciating the new change.
being rich and miserable seems hopeless.

upon further speculation, i could say the exact same thing about being rich and miserable that i said about being poor and miserable. it all depends on what's making me miserable.

so yeah.
i either didn't think about it enough or thought way too much.

meh

innocenceNonus Posted: Fri Jun 8 02:48:21 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Right. Be sure to send it my way.
>

Do you need it? If not, I'd rather give it to the homeless guy down the street, thanks. : )

>You can perfectly live without money if you want to.

and achieve what i want to achieve?? not gonna happen.

my current goal: go to school and learn english plus math or chem. how am i supposed to attend my university without money??

and then after, if i want to support kids, how'm i gonna do that??

i wasn't saying live as in ALIVE. i'm saying live as in LIVE.

addi Posted: Sun Jun 10 07:52:29 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I don't think it matters to me. If one is to be miserable anyway what difference will being rich or poor make ?

: )

good point

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]