Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

How funny is this ?
ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jul 18 19:26:43 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I laughed out loud when I read this one. I'm just glad I wasn't drinking anything or it would have passed through my nose.

Gore Gorges on Overfished Sea Bass
By Pam Meister
Created 2007-07-18 09:45
Here's yet another addition to the annals of the "do as I say crowd." The rehearsal dinner for Al Gore's youngest daughter's wedding last week featured [1], among other items, Chilean sea bass for 75. Sounds yummy!

Unfortunately, Chilean sea bass is considered to be a threatened [2] species, although not yet technically endangered:

Also known as Patagonian toothfish, the species is under pressure from illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing activities in the Southern Ocean, jeopardising the sustainability of remaining stocks.

The species is currently managed by the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Living Marine Resources, the body which introduced a catch and trade documentation scheme as an attempt to tackle illegal poaching of this species.

Working with non-government organisations, the Humane Society International's focus is now on pursuit of illegal fishing operators who, in the rush to cash in on the highly valued species, plunder stocks with no regard for sustainability.

Not only that, but as this particular fish is found nowhere near Beverly Hills, where the wedding was held, I'm guessing it was flown in. How much carbon was spewed into the air so that Gore's guests could dine on one of the most sought-after fish in the sea? I'm guessing the busy Gore hasn't had time to read the book promoted by Live Earth organizers called the Global Warming Survival Handbook [3], which urges us to eat locally:

My favorite tips from the The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook involve shopping locally for food. Tip No. 29 says to count and reduce your food miles. A typical meal travels about 22,000 miles to reach your plate. This produces between four and 17 times as many greenhouse gasses as a meal that is locally supplied. This is how "locavores" came about. They are people who follow the 100-mile diet, where they won't eat anything that has traveled more than 100 miles.

I suppose that's where those carbon credits come in handy.

addi Posted: Wed Jul 18 22:01:01 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  valid point. A dumb thing to do and I don't think pleading ignorant on the status of that type of fish is a good excuse.

The only thing I'd like to know is how much say he had in the wedding plans. It wasn't his rehersal dinner...it was his son-in-laws and daughters. I know at my wedding, and a large percentage of others, the Dad forks out the money for the wedding, and has little to no say in what's served at a dinner.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jul 18 22:06:05 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>valid point. A dumb thing to do and I don't think pleading ignorant on the status of that type of fish is a good excuse.
>
>The only thing I'd like to know is how much say he had in the wedding plans. It wasn't his rehersal dinner...it was his son-in-laws and daughters. I know at my wedding, and a large percentage of others, the Dad forks out the money for the wedding, and has little to no say in what's served at a dinner.
>
Perhaps, but I'm sure he knew what was on the menu long before the special date.
No matter, this is a howler for sure.

Ahriman Posted: Fri Jul 20 01:42:41 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You guys know about farms, right?

Ahriman Posted: Fri Jul 20 02:02:20 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beh, no straight answer on whether it can be farmed or is...

addi Posted: Fri Jul 20 08:02:23 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>You guys know about farms, right?

farms...hmmm, sounds familiar. I think we had some sheep on farms in Nebraska
: )

*I'm guessing you mean those fish could have been farm raised, right?

FN Posted: Fri Jul 20 14:17:25 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know wether it's hysterically funny, but it sure shows his level of doucheness.

Ahriman Posted: Sat Jul 21 00:39:26 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>*I'm guessing you mean those fish could have been farm raised, right?

Yea, We have a lot of fish farms in WNY.

Asswipe Posted: Sat Jul 21 02:23:10 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ooh, still works.

Stop by my restaurant if you want some chilean sea bass over lemon hummus puree, served with baby artichokes, roasted red peppers and fava beans. We add a bit of lemon oil to flavor.

For more on the chilean sea bass and the 10,000 tons of it we imported annually by the US, please visit: http://www.state.gov/g/oes/rls/fs/2002/8989.htm

addi Posted: Sat Jul 21 06:33:50 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I never would have guessed we'd hear from Asswipe after all this time giving us a nice overview of the harvesting of chilean sea bass.

and while I'm not trying to let Mr. Gore completely off the hook (bad pun)I do think some of you need to cut the guy a little slack. Because he's out on the frontfront trying to bring critial environmental issues to the world's attention every single move he makes in his life is under a microscope. Some are analyzing his every move just waiting to pounce on the slightest misstep he makes. Very few of us could live our life under that kind of scrutiny and come out smelling like roses all the time.

I mean..it's not like he's been out there pushing a cause like invading some country that would cost us half a trillion dollars so far, kill thousands of soldiers and tens of thousands of civilians, strengthen the will of the enemy, and get the majority of the rest of the world to despise us.

FN Posted: Sat Jul 21 10:13:23 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>I do think some of you need to cut the guy a little slack. Because he's out on the frontfront trying to bring critial issues to the world's attention every single move he makes in his life is under a microscope. Some are analyzing his every move just waiting to pounce on the slightest misstep he makes. Very few of us could live our life under that kind of scrutiny and come out smelling like roses all the time.

that's a very republican thing of you to say ;o)

addi Posted: Sat Jul 21 13:54:26 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ouch!

FN Posted: Sun Jul 22 06:40:56 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lol

http://snopes.com/racial/business/cvs.asp

FN Posted: Sun Jul 22 06:56:12 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  for some more racial related stuff:

http://snopes.com/racial/language/hurricane.asp

who are these people anyway?

http://www.naacp.org/home/index.htm

Is there anything similar for white people as well?

addi Posted: Sun Jul 22 08:46:16 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>who are these people anyway?
>
>http://www.naacp.org/home/index.htm

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. They they started at the turn of the 20th Century by W.E.B. DuBois and a few others. It's the oldest Black organization in America.The Naacp was critical and relavant to fight against racism in the years leading up to and during the Civil Rights movement here. I think they have lost a little of their clout and power in the last few decades because of the changing times.

The link you put up is about the tactics used by some lending companies here that's been in the headlines a lot lately...giving sub prime loans to poorer people, or those with not so good credit so they can purchase a house. A lot of those people are having to foreclose on their homes now because of their inability to make payments on these high interest rip off loans. Anyway, that's a oversimplistic take on the problem.
It just turns out that it's primarily minority groups being affected by this practice and that's why the Naacp is involved. Our congressmen are also trying to stop the practices of these loan companies thru ledgislation.

>Is there anything similar for white people as well?

no..unless you want to include the KKK

addi Posted: Sun Jul 22 09:00:56 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>who are these people anyway?
>
>http://www.naacp.org/home/index.htm

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. They they started at the turn of the 20th Century by W.E.B. DuBois and a few others. It's the oldest Black organization in America.The Naacp was critical and relavant to fight against racism in the years leading up to and during the Civil Rights movement here. I think they have lost a little of their clout and power in the last few decades because of the changing times.

The link you put up is about the tactics used by some lending companies here that's been in the headlines a lot lately...giving sub prime loans to poorer people, or those with not so good credit so they can purchase a house. A lot of those people are having to foreclose on their homes now because of their inability to make payments on these high interest rip off loans. Anyway, that's a oversimplistic take on the problem.
It just turns out that it's primarily minority groups being affected by this practice and that's why the Naacp is involved. Our congressmen are also trying to stop the practices of these loan companies thru ledgislation.

>Is there anything similar for white people as well?

no..unless you want to include the KKK

addi Posted: Sun Jul 22 09:01:55 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sorry..computer problems causing that double post..how embarrassing

:)

Mesh Posted: Sun Jul 22 14:38:28 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>for some more racial related stuff:
>
>http://snopes.com/racial/language/hurricane.asp
>
>

Yeah, how about a hurricane Shaniquala or T'Keyah or JuAndreiquesha or Divinehappystarheavensenteiashaique or something.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]