Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Home town blues
Billy Pilgrim Posted: Thu Jul 19 07:24:41 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Everybody hates their home town or something about it: the people here are stupid, the kids are vandals, the gangs are more violent, crime is rising, nothing ever happens, the rich can do what they want and so on and so forth ad nauseum etc.

All towns are really essentially the same for their population sizes(Unless you live in Kabul or something where a big slice of the city is now piles of free bricks) But everybody likes something about where they are from and that's what i'm interested in. 5 reasons why you like where you're from/live, be they childhood memories, the first place Johnny come quickly got his hand in your drawers, points of interest, one of a kinds or just personal stuff.

FN Posted: Thu Jul 19 08:59:37 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't hate my home town.

1) no gangs
2) as far as I can tell close to 0 crime
3) with an exception here and there nice houses all around
4) not too many immigrants yet (see 1, 2 & 3)
5) everything you can think of is in a 30 mile drive radius

FN Posted: Thu Jul 19 08:59:54 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mile should be minute

Billy Pilgrim Posted: Thu Jul 19 10:06:22 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  No local reproduction of the Mannekin Pis then?

Good man, good to hear it, i bet your local law enforcement would throw a mug at a hippie too wouldn't it!

libra Posted: Thu Jul 19 12:31:24 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  1. The cemetary near my house
2. The pretty houses and big trees in my neighborhood
3. Its comfortable size...not too big, not too small
4. The rolling hills for hiking..all the oak trees
5. It's proximity to everything:
1/2 hour to the beach
1 hour to San Francisco
3 hours to Tahoe

Billy Pilgrim Posted: Thu Jul 19 13:58:17 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and number 6- you!

By the beard of the Prophet i think i'm turning into Addison!!!

x

everyday_daisy Posted: Thu Jul 19 14:42:24 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Addi is love.
And Libra, would you happen to know where the town Hercules is? I'm usually there if I'm visiting relatives.

1. Hungry Hippo -- this affordable eatery, where my "usual" includes Bacon, egg and because we're from this part of the world...Rice! It's supposed to be "Bacon, egg and toast" but I usually change it to rice.
2. I call my "town" this corner of my city (Manila, Philippines) because Manila itself is huge and I wouldn't know what to put in the top 5. Here's basically my college campus + the streets near it which includes where my apartment is at. So this "town" has very nice venues for student interaction like Mag-net. It's a Cafe/Bar/Gallery with almost-always good line-ups.
3. The 7-eleven nearby because they have the friendliest staff and because they sell my favorite drink (next to water), Milk Tea (self-explanatory).
4. It's easy to get to other parts of the city from here.
5. My college has trees and is a very nice area to jog in.

addi Posted: Thu Jul 19 15:20:13 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Billy Pilgrim said:

>By the beard of the Prophet i think i'm turning into Addison!!!

sorry to hear that, Billy. Look on the bright side. You could do much worse. You could be turning into mat_j

that's really scarey...kids

addi Posted: Thu Jul 19 15:24:37 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  everyday_daisy said:
>Addi is love.

I have no idea where that came from but I'm not going to look a gift daisy in the mouth.

*what a bizarre saying that is.."look a gift horse in the mouth". I wonder where it came from.

beetlebum Posted: Thu Jul 19 16:07:24 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>everyday_daisy said:
>>Addi is love.
>
>>of course you are, addi!
>
>*what a bizarre saying that is.."look a gift horse in the mouth". I wonder where it came from.

>>*are you mocking? (trojan horse mebbe?)

addi Posted: Thu Jul 19 16:11:50 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:

>>>*are you mocking? (trojan horse mebbe?)

hot damn! that makes perfect sense! Why didn't i think of that?!
my god you're brilliant

thanks, Bbum.
hug

I had a guess in my head where it came from. I am SO glad I didn't write it down here.
: )

FN Posted: Thu Jul 19 19:10:01 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Actually that's not where the expression comes from.

You can quite accurately tell the state of the health of a horse by looking at its teeth.

Hence the expression.

FN Posted: Thu Jul 19 19:10:49 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Billy Pilgrim said:
>No local reproduction of the Mannekin Pis then?

Afraid not ;)

>Good man, good to hear it, i bet your local law enforcement would throw a mug at a hippie too wouldn't it!

I'm not sure but I certainly hope that they do

addi Posted: Thu Jul 19 19:55:04 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Actually that's not where the expression comes from.
>
>You can quite accurately tell the state of the health of a horse by looking at its teeth.
>
>Hence the expression.

I feel vindicated..that was my guess that I didn't post.
Anyhoo I still like Bbum's guess. It's more creative.

beetlebum Posted: Thu Jul 19 22:18:10 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Actually that's not where the expression comes from.
>
>You can quite accurately tell the state of the health of a horse by looking at its teeth.
>
>Hence the expression.

Thanks, Mr. Know-it-all.

Hmph. :)

Ahriman Posted: Thu Jul 19 23:12:34 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Buffalo, NY

1. Everybody knows everybody (it's really weird but true)
2. Amazing food
3. We are on the great lakes (Lake Erie)
4. No natural disasters (freakish snow doesn't mean anything)
5. Bills and Sabres

Adding one more
6. Canada is right next door (literally you can walk from here)
-19 yr old drinking age
-strip clubs
-exchange rate
-not U.S.
-etc

kurohyou Posted: Fri Jul 20 01:54:15 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My hometown is a mess... some examples in no particular order.

Not so Good things...

1.) More Meth labs than local law enforcement knows what to do with.

2.) School district is under such a budget crunch that they have shut down schools, and cut teachers and programs like its their job. Problem... with a lack of good teachers and a lack of elective programs there is no reason for out of district students to come to the district. Its a double edged sword.

3.) My crack smoking uncle

4.) Everybody knows everybody and few ever escape to the larger world after high school. Which is the main reason I will not go back and be a cop in my home town. Sure there is something nostalgic about it, but I don't need to be going to domestic calls and arresting people I went to high school with... not my idea of a good time.

5.) The liquor stores open before the banks.

Positives...

1.) Its my hometown and will always be such. Which means as much as I can tell you that it bad about it, none of it really matters because its a peice of my history which I would not part with.

2.) I know it like the back of my hand and always feel comfortable when I'm there.

3.) Santiago's Burritos and Rico's Pizza... oh and just for andariel... Franks the Pizza King. (See if I can draw her out into the open for a bit...)

4.) The Lucky U Motel... can't knock a place that has hourly rates... Now you could make an arguement that this is a negative about the town, but its been there for so long its an institution.

5.) the Egg shaped bank that changes names every three months...

For what it's worth...

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jul 20 09:58:15 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The thunderstorms.

We had a nasty one last night. It dropped a huge sugar maple on my roof, it crashed through and filled my bedroom with water.
Been all morning talking to tree cutters, insurance pukes, and taking pictures.

Right after the storm blew thru, all the neighbors came out to see if we were OK, and they went up on my roof in the rain and put a tarp on it to help keep the water damage to a minimum.
Great neighbors for sure !

addi Posted: Fri Jul 20 11:09:51 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>The thunderstorms.
>
>We had a nasty one last night. It dropped a huge sugar maple on my roof, it crashed through and filled my bedroom with water.

glad it wasn't worse, hif...it could have been easily.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jul 20 13:00:42 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Right now I can't hear anything but chainsaws and woodchippers !

beetlebum Posted: Fri Jul 20 14:00:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hif! i'm soo o o glad you and your loved ones are okay. good luck with repairs.

FN Posted: Fri Jul 20 14:15:16 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  A lot of american houses are made of wood, no?

FN Posted: Fri Jul 20 14:16:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>Thanks, Mr. Know-it-all.

Any time dear ;o)

addi Posted: Fri Jul 20 14:27:53 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>A lot of american houses are made of wood, no?

mostly wood. Also brick, and some are sticks, but they're not so good cuz a wolf can blow them down real easy.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jul 20 16:30:14 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My house is a brick ranch style house, but as far as I know, all roofs have wooden trestles covered by roofing plywood and shingles of various types.

Ahriman Posted: Sat Jul 21 00:37:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Right now I can't hear anything but chainsaws and woodchippers !

And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper.

mat_j Posted: Sat Jul 21 06:26:29 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hello Guys,

I speak to you from work today doing some overtime for the good of my nation as much as the company. Earlier this month Britain recieved it's worst floods in history... ever i think!

Last night Britain received... it's worst floods in history.

My company deals in sorting out emergency situations. restoration, shoring, cleaning, roofing etc etc.

Luckily the coastal areas have spared bonnie Cardiff any damage (yet) so i'm very busy and very pissed off and have abolutely no doubt that conservative America's weather machine is being used to punish us for ousting Blair for a slightly less pro Yanqui leader.

addi Posted: Sat Jul 21 06:39:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>Luckily the coastal areas have spared bonnie Cardiff any damage (yet) so i'm very busy and very pissed off and have abolutely no doubt that conservative America's weather machine is being used to punish us for ousting Blair for a slightly less pro Yanqui leader.

Cheney controls the weather machine...and yeah, he's really pissed.
After he's done sending nasty weather your way he's going to personally come over to the U.K. and accidently shoot someone in the face with his shotgun.

mat_j Posted: Sat Jul 21 07:07:11 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Billy Pilgrim said:
>
>>By the beard of the Prophet i think i'm turning into Addison!!!
>
>sorry to hear that, Billy. Look on the bright side. You could do much worse. You could be turning into mat_j
>
>that's really scarey...kids

Scary indeed Addi, simply due to the fact that despite the half a ft height difference and a several stone weight difference I actually wash is the main give away!!!

Anyway my five...

1. Apparently We have the best looking civic centre in the country with its parks and colonial style buildings inc. the Museum with the largest collections of impressionist work outside France(With some beautiful Indian influences)

2. Spillers Records- the oldest record store in the world opened in 1895 i think and has been in continuous business ever since.

3. Charlestons all night Steak house. Ask for Dennis and go with his choice of wine, he's a genuine Cardiff treasure, to be found drinking in Kitty Flynns (real) Irish bar opposite the steak house when off duty.

4. the non franchised Bars and clubs that we frequent, special mentions to Dempseys, Clwb Ifor Bach, The Pen and Wig, The Royal Oak (The only pub in Britain to have a boxing ring in it!!), Metros, Kitty Flynns (see above), Floyds (A secret bar above a clothes boutique, known for it's expensive booze, exclusive location and huge coke groove in the bar!!), Buffalos and Callaghans

5. The indoor arcades- Cardiff has been described as the indoor city with it's numerous and beautiful victorian shopping arcades, in narrow paved grottos through cutting through the streets home to such treasures as- The Bear Shop, Wallys Delicatessan, The New York Deli, Catapult records, The Comic Guru and Cardiff Antiques store.

Mentioned in dispatches because there's so much i like about this little city...

Jacobs Market, a three floor antiques and junk bonanza of the coolest stuff in the world.

the Millenium Stadium, a giant spider like monstrosity in the centre of town home to Welsh (and occaisonally British Sport)

Roath Park- In case you fancy a little light boating in the afternoon.

Castle- A massive fortification slap bang in the centre of town.

mat_j Posted: Sat Jul 21 07:09:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and troutmarks second hand bookshop (another arcade resident)

addi Posted: Sat Jul 21 07:24:35 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>3. Charlestons all night Steak house. Ask for Dennis and go with his choice of wine, he's a genuine Cardiff treasure, to be found drinking in Kitty Flynns (real) Irish bar opposite the steak house when off duty.

If I ever make it back to your fair city again I must insist that you take me to this place. The steaks will be on me...you can buy the beer.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Jul 21 07:36:36 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>mat_j said:
>
>>Luckily the coastal areas have spared bonnie Cardiff any damage (yet) so i'm very busy and very pissed off and have abolutely no doubt that conservative America's weather machine is being used to punish us for ousting Blair for a slightly less pro Yanqui leader.
>
>Cheney controls the weather machine...and yeah, he's really pissed.
>After he's done sending nasty weather your way he's going to personally come over to the U.K. and accidently shoot someone in the face with his shotgun.
>
You liberals don't know shit !
The weather machine is controlled by Rove.
He built the weather machine in his garage before Bush became prez.

addi Posted: Sat Jul 21 08:18:54 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>You liberals don't know shit !
>The weather machine is controlled by Rove.
>He built the weather machine in his garage before Bush became prez.

I always thought Rove and Cheney were one in the same.
The things I learn from you, hiffer

*hope the clean up is going well

DanSRose Posted: Sat Jul 21 16:46:53 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Skyscraper-high steampipe explosions. Several impressive late-night bookstores. It's growing fondness for falafel and shwarma, but maybe that's just me.
I'm back.

Ahriman Posted: Sun Jul 22 03:56:32 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my poor, poor Fargo quote... :(

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jul 22 08:42:52 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>my poor, poor Fargo quote... :(
LOL

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jul 22 08:43:26 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kinda of a cool idea, but I still prefer the topless car wash.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/ODD_BIKINI_LAWN_CARE?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

addi Posted: Sun Jul 22 09:08:27 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  always a buck to be made by an enterprising female off the hornymones of males.

For me it depends on who is wearing the bikini. At some of the beaches I've been to there are woman that have no business wearing a bikini...
for that matter men in tiny speedo suits.

FN Posted: Sun Jul 22 11:24:11 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Meh, I want pictures

Kira Posted: Mon Jul 23 00:04:52 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  1. The houses and the Orphanage on College St.

2. The cemetary on Linden Ave. Right in the middle of town and everyone buried there is over a hundred years gone, so you can imagine everyone looking at you funny through their windshields and wondering what you're doing there. It's not very big, or picturesque.

3. Elmwood Cemetary. Much bigger and prettier, with lots of rambling, narrow drives and not an inch of parking.

4. Sam's Pizza (out of business).

5. Currin's Gym (burned down).

It still lacks a real bookstore and a nice diner. Alas.

Ahriman Posted: Mon Jul 23 02:43:11 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The most amazing diner shut down in my area. Was open 24/7 and had been my late night haven for so long.... :(

libra Posted: Tue Jul 24 12:20:26 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  everyday_daisy said:
>Addi is love.
>And Libra, would you happen to know where the town Hercules is? I'm usually there if I'm visiting relatives.
>

Yah. but i don't think i've ever been there...its over in the north east bay, i believe.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]