Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Guy's and Dolls
~Just Imagine~ Posted: Fri Jul 27 14:49:49 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.wzl.be/fun/index.asp?par=f_post&ID=2192&y=2007&m=7&d=27

(don't know if this link has already been up here)

Just Sick
Your thoughts on the matter ?

addi Posted: Fri Jul 27 15:55:33 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm a barbie girl, in the barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
you can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation

*I had to shut it off when he pulled her tongue out. Dolls creep me out.
I felt sorry for his Dad.

DanSRose Posted: Fri Jul 27 18:07:08 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I skimmed through it, skipping over to different scenes.
It reminded me of the Chuck Palahniuk short story "Exodus" from his book _Haunted_. That is not a good thing. Is it that easy to turn people into objects? Objects into people?

libra Posted: Fri Jul 27 18:52:37 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I didn't watch the whole thing...but i find it very disturbing...if a lifeless, clasically beautiful person is all these men want, I think that's very sad.
Its sad to think they can't find excitement in having a relationship with someone who is unpredictable, varying, and alive...with their own opinions and feelings.
For me, it is a huge insult to women, I guess.

When he talks about laying in bed with 'her' and having her looking at him, and him looking at 'her'...he is doing all of the looking. She doesn't have the right or the ability to look, and that false look of hers cannot be critical, or confrontative, or engaging. Its cowardly of him...

kurohyou Posted: Sat Jul 28 02:47:40 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmmm...

I don't know whether to be freaked out or feel sorry for these people. I didn't watch the whole thing and after the initial "what the fuck am I watching" reaction I started thinking.

It seems to be that these people have found an alternative way of dealing with something that we all fear somewhere in our minds.

"in the truest part of ourselves everybody's afraid."
-Fort Minor, Slip out the Back

Lonliness is a common theme with humanity. We are social animals and being alone scares us. I use to think I would be fine being alone, and while I enjoy my times of solitude, I am aware that I do like the company of others. I am lucky because I have people in my life, friends, family, co-workers.

For me its hard to imagine a plant of 6Billion+ people and someone feeling that lonely, that their companionship comes from a fantasy in their mind, which they give a physical manifestation in these dolls.

I remember about 7 years ago driving down the street and stopping at a stop light. I looked across the street to a bus stop and saw this old lady standing there. In her hands she held a doll, a Raggaty Ann type doll with a floppy head , yellow hair and a stitched on smile. She was holding the face of this doll up to her own face and was talking to it. I was overcome with sadness because I couldn't grasp how this woman could be so lonely that this doll was her companion.

I guess I look at it and realize that with a different roll of the dice any one of us could be where these people are. That lonely, that desperate for that nagging feeling to go away. I love Don Cheadel's line in Crash...

"Its that sense of touch...Sometimes I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other just so we can feel something."

This is how these people have choosen to cope. For them this brings relief from the pain of loneliness... It works for them. It wouldn't work for me, so I just sit with the feelings when it comes... But who am I to say they are wrong.

For what it's worth...

Mesh Posted: Sat Jul 28 03:54:12 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I mostly feel sorry. That is some real desperation for companionship if you would to turn to a doll for comfort. I can't even imagine.

Anyways, kuro is smarter and said it better than I would attempt to.

FN Posted: Sat Jul 28 07:07:12 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>For me, it is a huge insult to women, I guess.

Lol

Not really you touchy feely liberal!

They just can't get a real life one, even if they wanted to.

addi Posted: Sat Jul 28 07:29:25 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>They just can't get a real life one, even if they wanted to.

I think this guy could..I just don't think he wants to. To say he has some serious issues is an understatement. There are all types of women out there looking for companionship..even with "offbeat" guys.

On the positive side he's with a "woman" that doesn't yell at him for not picking up his clothes..that doesn't constantly point out all his faults...that doesn't make him go out and see sappy chick flicks...that doesn't tell him she has a headache tonight....so he's got that going for him
: )

libra Posted: Sat Jul 28 13:34:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Christophe said:
>
>>They just can't get a real life one, even if they wanted to.
>
>I think this guy could..I just don't think he wants to. To say he has some serious issues is an understatement. There are all types of women out there looking for companionship..even with "offbeat" guys.
>
>On the positive side he's with a "woman" that doesn't yell at him for not picking up his clothes..that doesn't constantly point out all his faults...that doesn't make him go out and see sappy chick flicks...that doesn't tell him she has a headache tonight....so he's got that going for him
>: )

that's kinda what i was getting at...its an insult to women's right to be people who have their own actions and don't just obediently follow...because these men for some reason cannot handle being with someone like that.

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sat Jul 28 13:55:50 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I agree with you libra
But I wonder, there must be woman like this to, right ?

These men must feel very desperate, and very alone to go as far as this.
Some of em really believe these women live, that they care for them, even love them.
One of em even says, that he even thinks " I hope i don't get her pregnant", and stuff like this.

I don't know, it's sick and sad at the same time...
It must be horrible to feel that lonely, or that disconnected from the other sex.

libra Posted: Sat Jul 28 14:16:08 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm sure there are women like this...but I think society does not as easily 'make' women like this.
Women are socialized to care for and cater to others from such an early age...they have giving and compromising kind of wired into their social system in our society.
Men, on the other hand, often grow up with a lot given to them--their mothers doting. I think that more likely lends to the ability to swing off on a tangent where they are incapable of giving and compromising.

addi Posted: Sat Jul 28 15:49:04 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

>that's kinda what i was getting at...its an insult to women's right to be people who have their own actions and don't just obediently follow...

ummm..my last paragraph was an attempt to bring a little humor into a sick topic

I guess it didn't work
: )

libra Posted: Sun Jul 29 02:24:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>libra said:
>
>>that's kinda what i was getting at...its an insult to women's right to be people who have their own actions and don't just obediently follow...
>
> ummm..my last paragraph was an attempt to bring a little humor into a sick topic
>
>I guess it didn't work
>: )

i know it was, and that's why i said 'kinda' ...because even though it is something we mock, that's the way life is, and the way relationships are...not nagging women, but problems and two-way-streets.

FN Posted: Sun Jul 29 06:48:41 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  That doesn't have to be sexist per se you know, it can just be an observable fact.

Like how on average black people seem to be better at sports, when you say that it's ok, but when you say that on average white and asian people seem to be better with their minds, you're a racist. I don't see how one thing differs from another.

So anyway, you're saying that on average, women aren't especially prone to nagging?

I must be attracting the wrong kind.

I don't like how every single thing of critique has to be taken as an all out offense against the target.

But even then, that isn't really the case here is it now, I think it's extremely weird you're dragging women's right and worth into a freaky topic of freaky men fornicating with toys.

I'll go even a bit further: I think the oversensitivity to stuff like this stems from some sort of not-so-successfully-repressed self esteem issues (I'm not talking about you btw Libra, before I step on any toes, just in general about "minority" groups, if you want to label women as a special intrest minority group I'm leaving that one up to you ;).

addi Posted: Sun Jul 29 07:29:10 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

>i know it was, and that's why i said 'kinda' ...because even though it is something we mock, that's the way life is, and the way relationships are...not nagging women, but problems and two-way-streets.

Oh..I'm in total agreement with you on this. After years of living with the same woman I know all about problems and two-way streets in relationships.
Like I said, it was just some humor on my part about the guy with the doll not having to deal with the uglier side of relationships.
I wasn't condoning what he does.

Ahriman Posted: Thu Aug 2 18:11:24 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  When you talk to a dog, does it really understand you? When you talk to yourself, do you really expect an outside opinion?
None of it really matters, so long as you are happy.

This topic is kind of silly really, if you can't see all sides logically then you need to live life a little more.

I had a guy at work do something amazing the other day. Our C.E.O. was coming in (multibillionaire) and when he arrived everyone was told to do what we do and make sure everything is clean blah blah blah. While everyone was panicking and running to get things in order, one guy just kept rolling his summer rolls. When he was asked by our EKM why he wasn't straightening up, Rob simply said, "Unless he's helping me roll these, he can stay the hell away from me. Just another human." So in other words, everyone calm down. We are all in this thing together.

I am so freaking tired.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]