Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Kashuo Ishiguro
innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Aug 27 22:10:52 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Any fans??

I read Remains of the Day and thought it was good [though I didn't have a big WOOHOO about it]. Just thought it was well-written even if slow-moving.

But I read Never Let Me Go today... and it was beautiful.

I think many of you would like it... so I'm recommending it.

It's delicate but deftly written. Brutal and chilling, but at the same really, really sad.

Now a new favorite.

Kira Posted: Mon Aug 27 23:42:33 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I saw the movie for Remains of the Day (and I'm smirking at myself for starting my response with that statement, so no one else has to). I wouldn't say that I liked it, but I appreciated the story and I thought it was well told. Just a bit too sad for me.

I will put Never Let Me Go on my list, though. Shall have to see if it's available in paperback.

innocenceNonus Posted: Tue Aug 28 22:48:59 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It is... lol. my copy's in paperback.

be warned: the beginning starts off slow.

i get this feeling that no one's read his stuff or that no one cares... possibly from the lack of responses. or maybe it's just me...

maybe if i danced on a table top with a lampshade on my head, people would pay more attention. sadly, all the lampshades in my house are currently in use. they're on all my family's heads... ::sigh:: so neglected.

addi Posted: Tue Aug 28 23:04:01 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:

>i get this feeling that no one's read his stuff or that no one cares... possibly from the lack of responses. or maybe it's just me...

I just didn't have anything remotely intelligent to say about it, innocence. I know..I know..that's never stopped me before.

>maybe if i danced on a table top with a lampshade on my head, people would pay more attention.

what else would you be wearing?

: )

SntSaturn Posted: Wed Aug 29 01:03:14 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have never heard of this author? I will definitely check out Never Let Me Go. What is it about?

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Aug 29 06:21:43 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:
>
>i get this feeling that no one's read his stuff or that no one cares... possibly from the lack of responses. or maybe it's just me...
>
>maybe if i danced on a table top with a lampshade on my head, people would pay more attention. sadly, all the lampshades in my house are currently in use. they're on all my family's heads... ::sigh:: so neglected.
>
*in my best Homer Simpson voice*
mmmmmmmm a table dance !

mat_j Posted: Wed Aug 29 09:15:13 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Isn't REmains of the Day (Movie) a "Boring Merchant Ivory Production starring Anthony Hopkins" Not to be confused with the remains of Big Fat Paulie?

innocenceNonus Posted: Wed Aug 29 18:05:13 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lol.

wearing?? my grandmother's school clothes. : ).

I never saw the movie... chances are it is boring [the book itself is pretty pastoral-feeling and moves VERY slowly... though I wonder if it's on purpose... surprisingly, while Ishiguro manages to maintain his own style, he has a different voice in Never Let Me Go [narrated by a middle-aged woman rather than an old man, though in a strange way, both characters have given up [willing or unwillingly] their lives] well, at least in my opinion]. NLMG moves more quickly... and if not more quickly, it's at least FAR more interesting. Lots of mystery and such and such... Remains of the Day was more about the rise of the US and US culture within GB [or some other sort of Literature class mumbojumbo].

I hadn't heard of this author until my Lit class freshman year of college... lol. He was required reading. I read Remains of the Day... and despite it being... [well, i dunno wanna say boring... pastoral? slow?] [insert appropriate word here], I liked it for its delicacy and the way ishiguro crafts his stories.

I won't ruin the story of either, but I will say that he's very good at being subtle but still delivering impact.

innocenceNonus Posted: Wed Aug 29 18:20:52 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Also finished today:

Zorro by Isabel Allende. Fun read. I suggest it. : )

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Thu Aug 30 15:42:28 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  2 books I have read from Isabelle Allende:
- Forest of the pygmies
- City of the beasts

Still have to read the last one:
- Kingdom of the golden dragon

I loved those stories!
Maybe I'll end up reading Zorro too :)

innocenceNonus Posted: Fri Aug 31 21:48:06 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sweet!

i actually have the spanish version of city of the beasts. i was planning to read/ translate it as incentive to get a better handle on the language/ up my vocab... never got around to doing it in high school... maybe will this summer if not next. either way, after reading some of allende's writing... i've definitely been encouraged to check more of her out

[that last line makes me sound like i'm gonna go pick her up at a bar]

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]