Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Paperbacks Are Not Real Books
Kira Posted: Sat Sep 22 21:25:13 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Damn you collectable hardcovers, I just want a good sturdy book from which I can remove unsightly cover art - thank you, Mr. Inventor of the Dust Jacket - not an eighty dollar copy of a book I don't even know I'll like!

As for you, Penguin Books, you and I are going to have words. The same rotten softcover edition of The Last Unicorn year after year after year after year - you either have to put out some kind of anniversary edition or give me two hundred dollars. Preferably give me two hundred dollars.

FN Posted: Sat Sep 22 23:40:03 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Actually, paperbacks don't always = cheap.

Believe me, I know.

Most of my books are paperbacks, but a select few aren't. They're my babies.

libra Posted: Sun Sep 23 00:17:37 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't like having hardcovers cause then I have to deal with the dustjacket. Also, they are hard to bring places.
I'm really nice to my paperbacks, though. I hold them so as not to bend the spine. And because of this I don't like lending them to people...

Kira Posted: Sun Sep 23 14:52:25 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Paperbacks are good for carrying around places, I admit. Although ironically since I got a larger purse all I've been carrying in it are compact hardcovers.

As for dust jackets, that's what dust-jacket-drawers are for.

Kira Posted: Sun Sep 23 14:56:50 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  P.S. Happy Autumn everyone.

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sun Sep 23 15:03:28 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like reading paperbacks

Wth
When did it became autumn?
We didn't even get a decent summer :(

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Sep 24 01:48:18 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  by The Last Unicorn, are you talking about the series by Bruce Colville [Coville? Colevile? Coleville? whatevs.]?

Because I read the first one and never got to the others.

ah, when i was young.

i LOVE books. i love the feel of a jacket on hardcover. of raw paper edges and thick paper that makes that page-turning sound when you... page-turn... and i LOVE that book smell. all sorts of book smells. new book smell. old book smell. moldy book smell...

cooked books smell...

jk.

AHAHAHA! good joke. not really. i worked at a title office this past summer and every day i saw this poster talking about cooking the books. and i always thought of a big vat of books in boiling water and some Wicked Witch of Some General Direction stirring the pot and cackling.

Today I've felt 1000, 12, and 3... and ageless.

Finished the last Harry Potter this past week too. CRAZY stuff.

I love the finality of closing a book after you've finished reading it.

Posted: Mon Sep 24 02:33:54 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  paperbacks can be nice. I don't mind hardcovers, either. The dust jackets, either. I just keep them around my apartment, sitting on a shelf here or there.

it's refreshing to get home from work and see John Fante sitting on top of my fridge staring back at me. honestly.

FN Posted: Mon Sep 24 06:34:49 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Which is a great time to bring up that the new theodore dalrymple book was released a little while ago.

Go read it.

FN Posted: Mon Sep 24 06:40:55 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Which is a great time to bring up that the new theodore dalrymple book was released a little while ago.
>
>Go read it.

Also read:
Our culture: what's left of it: the mandarins and the masses

and Life at the bottom: the worldview that makes the underclass

by the same guy. Absolutely marvellous.

Also:

http://cgi.omroep.nl/cgi-bin/streams?/ncrv/netwerk/X64739_dalrymple-compl_WM_bb.wmv

FN Posted: Mon Sep 24 06:46:22 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And on a totally unrelated note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnmvToZjRIc

Kira Posted: Mon Sep 24 13:05:40 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:
>by The Last Unicorn, are you talking about the series by Bruce Coville?

Nope, the one I'm after was written by Peter S. Beagle. I think you would like it, Beagle's prose is incredibly rich and poetic, and the story is a classic.

beetlebum Posted: Tue Sep 25 00:58:07 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i just really like books.

addi Posted: Tue Sep 25 17:21:58 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sometimes I'm reading a really good paperback in bed and I get distracted for a second and then look back and it's gone...totally disappeared, and i think to myself, "Man. That paperback was unreal!"

mat_j Posted: Wed Sep 26 07:37:18 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's like Billy says-

Reading hardback books are the archaic equivalent of using an i-book in a starbucks as you smugly write your 'novel'.

Give me a yellow paged, cracked spined, third hand copy any day of the week!!

Three cheers for decay!

choke Posted: Thu Sep 27 18:07:01 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Old books make me sneeze :(

misszero Posted: Mon Mar 17 20:31:51 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i work in a book store, and probably the most annoying thing i have to deal with is people who are all snobby to me because its a big new-books book store. They're all like "oh, i prefer to buy second hand books, they have more character etc etc" And yeah, i know where they're coming from, 90% of my books are secondhand. But seriously, where do they think second hand books come from? They come from 1st hand books, you numbnuts!

oh, and course there's: "i don't know the author, or the title. But the cover was blue..."

Kira Posted: Wed Nov 4 15:42:38 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Assassin's Apprentice hardcover edition $151.50 minimum?!?

?!?!*!#)*!$R@I?>!>!!&!!! *head explodes*

Kira Posted: Thu Nov 5 12:25:15 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Song-Fire-Book/dp/1892065290/ref=tmm_hrd_title_3

LOL that book must be made of gold.

Puck Posted: Thu Nov 5 12:44:44 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Mars-Vol-Synthetic/dp/1846772184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257443036&sr=1-1

what's this made of?

libra Posted: Thu Nov 5 12:47:19 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:

>
>what's this made of?

But shipping's only $3.99!

Puck Posted: Thu Nov 5 12:57:13 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hahaha

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Nov 5 16:27:22 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  okay gt god i'm pissed. i just spent nearly two hours find links and stuff of out of print hardcover books under $50 and i misspelled my password and my whole god damn post is gone. fuck that shit -__- *glares*

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Nov 5 16:29:55 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  okay most of the books above can be found at

www.abebooks.com

for fairly cheap. i have lost the other links and can't seem to find them.

anyways -__-

i buy paperbacks when i'm not sure i'll like the book. i love hardcovers for my collection.

Kira Posted: Thu Nov 5 18:39:08 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah abebooks is usually my secret weapon in finding affordable hardbounds, which makes it all the more frustrating when even they are no help. Very rarely, and for a little more money, I can find what I want at Amazon's UK branch.

*Shrugs* I don't really consider myself a book snob, but when I find a book I really like I'd just as soon have it in hardcover so it will withstand more rereadings over the years before it falls apart. This is especially true for books that aren't already time-tested classics when I find them. Shakespeare, Twain, and Dickens will never go out of print, but there are plenty of other excellent writers whose books may all be in landfills fifty years from now. When that happens I'd like to have my copies still safely on the shelf and still readable, as I don't expect it to be quite important enough for me to go looking for them in every thrift shop and antique store from here to Asheville.

See, I'm sane, really. I'm just planning for the future.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]